Transporting your car to Oz - everything you need to know!

Iron Chef

We are awaiting approval of importing my car into Oz. My shipper implied that we are unlikely to have to regass the aircon system.......??? Not too sure on this one or if I will be asked to change tyres wing mirrors etc. I was under the impression that Australian citizens who have lived overseas are allowed to import one car as long as they have owned it 12 months (I initially thought this was tax free (NZ is)). Anyhow its seems I will have to pay a number of taxes for this previllage. Not sure on the value in OZ of the car since it was not sold there but I know if I sell it here in the UK its only worth £3500 approx. On the current rate of exchange that gives me about $5000 to buy a car . I looked at Holden Zafira 2004 model's knackered probably - $10/12000 on some web sites. Presumably I am looking at $5000 in taxes etc in OZ taking my car . Its a rip off I know but we have 3 kids the seats come out & it getting me over 50MPG & I owned it from new. I know everyone says its a waste of time & money & trouble too. We are shipping a 40ft container which the car is going in & I am still informed we will need the same size container even if we do not take the car. It costs another £300 for the shippers trouble to add the car. I wonder if you still think I am bonkers doing this & if I will be asked to change the aircon gass? Martin

Guest Guest67761
We are awaiting approval of importing my car into Oz. My shipper implied that we are unlikely to have to regass the aircon system.......??? Not too sure on this one or if I will be asked to change tyres wing mirrors etc. I was under the impression that Australian citizens who have lived overseas are allowed to import one car as long as they have owned it 12 months (I initially thought this was tax free (NZ is)). Anyhow its seems I will have to pay a number of taxes for this previllage. Not sure on the value in OZ of the car since it was not sold there but I know if I sell it here in the UK its only worth £3500 approx. On the current rate of exchange that gives me about $5000 to buy a car . I looked at Holden Zafira 2004 model's knackered probably - $10/12000 on some web sites. Presumably I am looking at $5000 in taxes etc in OZ taking my car . Its a rip off I know but we have 3 kids the seats come out & it getting me over 50MPG & I owned it from new. I know everyone says its a waste of time & money & trouble too. We are shipping a 40ft container which the car is going in & I am still informed we will need the same size container even if we do not take the car. It costs another £300 for the shippers trouble to add the car. I wonder if you still think I am bonkers doing this & if I will be asked to change the aircon gass? Martin

Hi Martin,

If you enlist our help with the process then you would NOT need to go to the hassle and cost of having the aircon system de-gassed and then re-gassed again once you get to Australia. We would also help you through the entire process of importing and getting the car road registered in Australia ready for you to drive.

The fact that you have space in the container and that you would require the 40 foot container either way is great because it means that shipping the car will only cost you that extra £300 instead of the normal £950 for ocean freight. The rest of the costs will depend on the final valuation for Australian Customs but the good news there is that the valuation should be quite low for vehicles which were not sold here in Australia, so that will save you money on import duty and taxes too.

Using our cost calculation system it shows that you are likely to encounter costs somewhere between $3,900 to $4,500 AUD for the entire process including customs clearance, import duty, taxes, ADR compliance, road registration costs and our service fee!

If this seems like something you are keen to look into then please let me know and I will be happy to go through things in more detail and/or answer any other questions you have at all.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest Guest67761
can anyone help? we will have owned our car for 12 months in march - should we wait til march to come to oz or leave car with family - anyone with experience much appreciated.

Thanks

In order to meet the criteria to get approval to import the car to Australia under the Personal Import Scheme you must have owned and used the car for 12 months BEFORE moving to Australia, so if you move before the 12 months then you will not get approval to bring the car even once you have owned it for 12 months. Occasionally we can get away with it being a couple of weeks less than 12 months if you have a very good reason for needing to come to Australia sooner, but you will not get approval with only 6 months ownership and usage.

Regards,

Craig.

Hello,

I am buying a car, which I want to take to Australia when my partner and I move in October 2013.

I will have a permanent visa issued by Jan 2013, which I have to activate before May 2013 by visiting Australia. We are hoping to do a bit of travelling then come home sell the house, to pack up our personal belongings for exporting. We don't intend to move until October 2013. I will be a UK resident until then. When we move to Australia it will be for good.

I have read that in order to satisfy import regulations for the car, I must be in the UK for all of the year before we leave. What if we a spend a few months in Australia in January and February when I activate my visa? What if we decide to go to Australia travelling in Australia for longer? Can I still bring my car?

Can I bring it in as a dealer? What is the difference tax wise?

Any advice will be very welcome, thanks

Kat

Edited by KKKKaty

Guest Guest67761
Hello,

I am buying a car, which I want to take to Australia when my partner and I move in October 2013.

I will have a permanent visa issued by Jan 2013, which I have to activate before May 2013 by visiting Australia. We are hoping to do a bit of travelling then come home sell the house, to pack up our personal belongings for exporting. We don't intend to move until October 2013. I will be a UK resident until then. When we move to Australia it will be for good.

I have read that in order to satisfy import regulations for the car, I must be in the UK for all of the year before we leave. What if we a spend a few months in Australia in January and February when I activate my visa? What if we decide to go to Australia travelling in Australia for longer? Can I still bring my car?

Can I bring it in as a dealer? What is the difference tax wise?

Any advice will be very welcome, thanks

Kat

Hi Kat,

In order to qualify to import the vehicle under the Personal Import Scheme you must have owned and used it in your previous country of residence before moving to Australia. An unwritten rule is that they will allow up to a maximum of 6 week travel abroad, so if you are planning to travel for more than 6 weeks in total throughout the year then you might need to own the car a little longer to make up for the time away, unless you can prove that the travel was for work purposes. It doesn't matter so much which country you are officially live in but more that you are physically in the same country as the car during this time.

I hope this helps clarify the situation a little more for you. Please let me know if you need any more information at all.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest mbslkfirst

Hi Craig

I think I will be using your service for my car import in Perth. Just need to decide which Removal company!!!

I am thinking of changing all 4 tyres on my car. They are still in legal limit but for the price of 1 tyre in Australia I can get all 4 changed here. But I am worried that Customs or the Quarantine people might ask me to change the tyres (irrespective of new or old).

The new tyres I am thinking of putting on are summer tyres and available in Australia so compliance shouldnt be a problem.

Can you please advise? dont want to send £300 in UK and then have to change tyres again in Australia.

Thanks

Guest Guest67761
Hi Craig

I think I will be using your service for my car import in Perth. Just need to decide which Removal company!!!

I am thinking of changing all 4 tyres on my car. They are still in legal limit but for the price of 1 tyre in Australia I can get all 4 changed here. But I am worried that Customs or the Quarantine people might ask me to change the tyres (irrespective of new or old).

The new tyres I am thinking of putting on are summer tyres and available in Australia so compliance shouldnt be a problem.

Can you please advise? dont want to send £300 in UK and then have to change tyres again in Australia.

Thanks

I have replied to your email with more information already, but for the sake of other reading this:

There is no requirement for Australian Customs or Quarantine to have tyres replaced. The only exception is if you have extra tyres NOT fitted to wheels with your shipment as they are a favorite place for bugs to hide so could be looked at by Quarantine.

Regards,

Craig.

Hello Everyone,

If I take my car which is worth £90k in the UK and around $300k in Australia, and I have not had it for a year, how much tax and charges will I have to pay? It's not an old car, but its used.

Any advice is appreciated - ta!

Kat

Edited by KKKKaty

Guest Guest67761
Hello Everyone,

If I take my car which is worth £90k in the UK and around $300k in Australia, and I have not had it for a year, how much tax and charges will I have to pay? It's not an old car, but its used.

Any advice is appreciated - ta!

Kat

Hi Kat,

Contrary to popular belief, the Personal Import Scheme does not give you exemption from paying import duty or taxes, it only allows you to bring a car to Australia which would otherwise not be allowed for import. Models which are not otherwise allowed for import to Australia typically have over inflated prices here in Australia as there is no competition in the marketplace, so by being able to import a car you stand to gain a good financial advantage.

The cost of importing a car to Australia will not depend on it's value in the UK or the Australian value, but rather on a specific valuation required for Australian Customs. We can estimate this valuation and therefore the likely import costs for specific cars once we have all of the information (see http://www.ironladyimports.com/cost-estimate)

Please note that the Personal Import Scheme requires that you have owned and used the car for at least the past 12 months before moving to live in Australia. If you have not owned the car for the full 12 months then you are very unlikely to get approval unless you are only a couple of weeks short and have a very good reason for needing to move sooner. Also if you are not moving to live in Australia permanently then again you stand little chance of approval.

If you believe that you will be able to meet the criteria then please submit a cost estimate request through the website page listed above and I will be happy to give you move information.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest Gogs and Cath

Hi,

I have a tricky situation. My car is registered in my dad's name, although it's my car. When I bought the car I didn't have a credit rating (as I had just moved to the UK). My dad put the car in his name so that we could get the credit to purchase it. How can I prove that the car is actually mine? Would a letter/ declaration from my dad be enough? I'd love to be able to take it to Aus with me.

Anyone been in a similar situation?

Thanks,

Cath

Hi,

I have a tricky situation. My car is registered in my dad's name, although it's my car. When I bought the car I didn't have a credit rating (as I had just moved to the UK). My dad put the car in his name so that we could get the credit to purchase it. How can I prove that the car is actually mine? Would a letter/ declaration from my dad be enough? I'd love to be able to take it to Aus with me.

Thanks,

Cath

Hi Cath,

I am sure this will NOT help you but my girlfriend is in a similar situation. I am the registered owner of the car but its her car. She will be importing is when we return to OZ next year. So I emailed the Australian car import people and explained the situation. The basically said that it was OK, as long as we could prove our relationship (bills, same living address etc) and that the car is for her use (insurance, location of the car on a daily basis etc).

My advice would be to email them and ask directly, they are the ones that provide the approval so they are really the only ones who can advise on your situation.

Guest Guest67761
Hi,

Thanks,

Cath

Hi Cath,

We have quite a few clients in the same situation and it has not been a problem as long as you can provide a declaration to state that it was your car and the reason why it was not in your name, and the reason you have given here sounds quite reasonable, and include some other evidence that you were the main driver which could be insurance in your name, parking permit, even repair bills in your name to show that you were the one responsible for this car.

This is the sort of thing we work through with you when preparing your import approval application, so please just let me know when you are ready to get started and I will be happy to walk you through what is needed and put together an application which will pass.

Regards,

Craig

Guest Guest67761
can we put replacements parts like brake disc and pads in teh boot? do we have to pay duty etc on that?

If the parts are considered to be part of the vehicle then it should be no problem, however if you include 12 sets of brake pads then it will be looked at as a commercial quantity. Please also be aware of the possibility of theft if you have new and/or valuable parts just sitting inside the car.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest Guest67761
HI there

Can you help? We own our car for a year on 13th march - are we ok flying on the 11th and leaving the car on the dock until the 11th?

Thanks

We should be able to help you with your import approval application around a month before you leave and look at having it processed so the vehicle can be shipped as soon as possible. Dropping it at the port ready for shipment even a week or so in advance should be no trouble, so we can work around your requirements quite easily.

Please let us know as soon as you are ready to start the paperwork. If you are leaving in March then I would look at starting to gather things together around early February with the intention to submit the application for processing around mid-February.

Cheers,

Craig @ Iron Lady Imports

Guest Guest67761
So it's ok from an import perspective? How much do you charge for this? Do you ship or just do the forms - message me if you can? thanks

Under normal conditions you would not get import approval from the Australian Government until you have actually owned the car for 12 months or more, however if you can include evidence in your application that you will not be leaving for Australia until after the 12 months (one-way airline tickets, etc.) then we can put together an application which will stand a reasonable chance of being approved a few weeks before you actually leave.

Assuming we can get the import approval then dropping off the car at the freight yard should be no trouble. They would normally want it there at least a few days before the ship is due to leave and it quite common to be around a week earlier give or take.

The service we offer is complete from start to finish. We can help with as little or as much of the process as you like right from the very start when preparing the import approval application, ocean freight, inland transport, customs clearance, Australian Quarantine inspection, vehicle valuation for Australian Customs, ADR compliance, road registration, etc.

Our fee ranges from AUD$990 for the full package down to AUD$330 for the least amount of assistance.

Usually we start by doing a calculation to estimate the likely costs involved in the entire process so you know what it's going to cost. If you wanted a quote then please complete the form on our website at http://www.ironladyimports.com/cost-estimate

Regards,

Craig.

Guest Guest67761
Great thanks I'll complete the form... Just one other thing ... I have insurance on the car since 7th march (is been driving it since then and have owned it since then) but the v5 says 1st April... Which date do customs use? Thanks

The date used to work out how long you have owned the car will depend on what paperwork you can provide. Normally the date on the V5 would be used however if you have a purchase invoice/receipt, insurance paperwork and/or other documents that show you actually purchased it sooner, and you give a fair reason why it was not transferred into your name sooner, then we should get it through on the earliest date.

Cheers,

Craig.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mbslkfirst
HI there

Can you help? We own our car for a year on 13th march - are we ok flying on the 11th and leaving the car on the dock until the 11th?

Thanks

Hi Conor22

I bought my car on 16th Sep 2011. I applied for the import permit in mid July 2012 explaining that I intent to ship it on 17th Sep 2012. I did not provide any evidence (eg tickets etc) - just my words!

they granted me the Permit n 14th August- ie 4 weeks before the 12 month ownership requirement.

I didnt plant to ship it any sooner than 17th Sep as dont want any hassle in Australia but getting the import [ermit well in advance meant one less thing to worry about!

Hope this helps