Transporting your car to Oz - everything you need to know!

Iron Chef

Many thanks for the information Iron chef, much appreciated.

After reading your comments it makes sense to give it a go and take the car with us. I've just downloaded the 'Application for a personally imported vehicle' and they're asking for information that we don't yet have i.e -

OH employment details - Not possible, he will start own business?

Ship of your household goods receipt - Not Possible, We are selling up and traveling light.

Resignation letter - Not possible as OH Self employed

Your residential details in Oz - we haven't got them yet, as we're staying with family first whilst looking for a rental?

So I'm feeling a bit lost as to what we should send in? We have only just sent in the forms for my OH spouse visa, so it's still very early days, might have to wait another 4/5/6 months to get the visa granted. But it would be nice to know the car can come with us.

Anyway I'm thinking out load so better get on and work out a plan!

Thanks again for your help. If your OH had an accountant, then a letter from them stating the business is being closed is usually a suitable alternative.

Megan

Hi Megan - By the looks of it, you'll need to wait, possibly until after you arrive, before you can apply for it to come over.

Hiya

Although we have submitted our application for the 176 visa I may have an opportunity to come over to Perth in Oct on a 456 visa which is a lot sooner than we intended but a great opportunity all the same.

With all the hassle of importing my Porsche I decided to sell it last month and bought a spanking new Yamaha XT1200z Tenere.

Now the obvious question is although I have only owned the bike a month tomorrow can I bring it over on a Carnet for 12 months and if my perm visa is granted in this time pay the duty to have it as an official import.

Not going to sell here as only has 4miles on the clock at present and a stack of parts on route for it too.

I have mulled over this one a fair bit - whether it would be possible to bring a vehicle over on a carnet, use it here for 12 months and then cover your qualifying period for keeping it here as a personal import.

A CPD Carnet is issued by your AA not by DIT here in Canberra, so it would be up to them to decide whether you're allowed to have a carnet when you're technically not coming to Australia on a tourist visa. I'm not sure how the carnet process works in the UK.

At a minimum, if you were able to get an import approval as a personal at the end of carnet, you would need to export the car, re-import it and pay all the taxes and duties you didn't pay when you first arrived. It would just be a matter of finding the nearest country that could store the car safely.

Given the fines for getting it wrong are fairly hefty, I DON'T advise trying it. If someone were to ignore my advice and give it a shot though, I'd be very curious to see how they managed to pull it off...

Just a quick question if anyone knows, as I have trawled through the websites and cant seem to get an answer.......for a normal vehicle import application does all the paperwork need to be certified by someone similar to when we made the visa application.....

No they don't need to be certified - DIT will ask you to send the originals if they think your copies aren't legit...

Hahaha yeah, John is a little crazy when it comes to cars!!! Apart from being clueless on how much it would cost to land the porsche until it arrived in Oz, John wants to go back to the GT-R's so the decision was made

John's after a GT-R? Step into my office... :biggrin:

Hi

Sorry if you have already answered this question

We are importing a Triumph TR4 and a Triumph motorbike ...both classed as classic and we have the import licenses.

We have a container for our sole use which they will be shipped in so we know the costs there, however could you shed some light on what to expect to pay the other side as our shippers are not being clear :(

Also we have a 54 reg kia and a ducati monster motorbike ....would it just be stupid to consider taking them?

any help would be really helpful

many thanks

John's after a GT-R? Step into my office... :biggrin:

He is looking at getting a R35 as he cancelled his order a couple of years ago as it never turned up when it was supposed to as we where meant to meet with Nissan at Le Mans with it, so it became a little embarrassing lol.

I know he is also interested in the R34 track car you have or the 324R D1 as he was in talks about the 324R with Miguel (Newera) a while ago but as we didn't know what was happening we went without.

No worries - now that you have your import approval, it gets easier from here :)

Hi Iron Chef

Cant believe I have another question for you! When the motorbike arrives in the container at customs, do customs remove it from crate to have a look or do you have to be there yourself to remove it for them. OH made the crate himself and has it well strapped , and tacked etc but screen removed and foot rests as well so I presume he will have to be there with customs for to put these back on etc?

grainne

Customs generally won't pull the crate totally apart unless a sniffer dog happens to like it too much, or they spot something that might alert quarantine. Generally your customs agent will attend on your behalf if there are any issues, and they will contact you to work out the best plan of attack.

Customs generally won't pull the crate totally apart unless a sniffer dog happens to like it too much, or they spot something that might alert quarantine. Generally your customs agent will attend on your behalf if there are any issues, and they will contact you to work out the best plan of attack.

Once again Iron Chef thanks very much for your help! Dont know what people would do without you!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

grainne

Guest surferchicksal

Hi there

We are currently in the uk but my husband is a citizen and I am a perm resident of australia. We r going back soon and wanted to import a car, we know we have to own it for 12 months (or is it different for citizens) we have been told that we can only import one vehicle. now here is the question. is an off road quad bike or motorbike qualified as a motor vehicle or can we bring all 3??

Hi :)

You can bring back one car each if you can prove that you were the main user of the vehicle (ie registration papers in your name, service records etc etc). The regs for Aussie citizens living overseas are exactly the same as for permanent residents.

The regs for bikes are a little different, so I'd need the make/model of the bike before I could give you an answer. But you wouldn't be able to bring it in as a personal import if you're bringing back a car each.

Just a silly question about ownership of a vehicle if anyone can help..

Is this owning the vehicle for more than 12 months your personal ownership, or can it be construed as a lease deal which has been settled by buying out the lease. ie...registered keeper for more than 12 months, but only legally owned within the 12 months.

TIA.

Guest waowen
I'll send you a PM :)

Hi! IronChef,

Could you please send me a form for the de-gassing of aircon in the car and would this form be relevant in Queensland for presentation to the broker. Thanks for your help, your blog is fantastic!!

waowen90@hotmail.com

Hi IronChef, Ive emailed you a few times is your email address on your site working?

I'd like to know roughly how much Im looking at to ship my car to aus under the personal import scheme once I get my 175 visa granted?

Its a:

BMW 3 series MSport convertible (320ci MSport)

Worth approx £11,000

55k Miles on the clock

If you could let me know that would be great. Many Thanks.

Luke

Guest waowen
Hi! IronChef,

Could you please send me a form for the de-gassing of aircon in the car and would this form be relevant in Queensland for presentation to the broker. Thanks for your help, your blog is fantastic!!

waowen90@hotmail.com

Thanks!! Already got one now off the Govt website,

Regards

Elaine

This deserves a picture response!

v1.jpg

Quality :notworthy:

One of my favourite programs - The Fonz was just the coolest bloke on the planet when I was a kid.

Also - Henry Winkler is just one of the nicest people in the world