Transporting your car to Oz - everything you need to know!

Iron Chef

Hi Ali,

I believe that we got the DC5 Type-R here around 2001-2004 but they were lover spec and much less desirable than overseas models. I am not sure why they were so weak compared to the JDM models but I am sure Honda Australia had their reasons. I guess a side effect of this was that they didn't sell many so there will not be a lot around for sale, and also because they were sold here in Australia you are not allowed to import them through other channels normally. The only exception being if you qualify under the Personal Import Scheme which is how this one example you have found was imported also.

The reason this example you found hasn't sold is most likely down to the price. I think that this 2002 Honda Integra Type-R should be worth around $15,000 if it was an Australian new car, so being the higher specification JDM model it could be somewhere around $18,000 to $22,000 but either way I think the sellers asking price of $32,500 is just crazy.

If you wanted us to do some calculations on the likely costs to bring your car to Australia then please fill out the form on our website at http://www.ironladyimports.com/cost-estimate then it's possible to work out if it's worthwhile bringing it with you for sure.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Thanks for the response. I have just submitted a cost estimate on your website…

So, if JDM DC5's are so rare over there - how would the import tax value (i think this is 5% isnt it?) be calculated? Or is this based on the AUDM car’s values?

It can vary based on a number of things including how it was shipped (sole use container, container with household goods or roll-on/roll-off), which shipping line it was with, which port it's coming into in Australia, etc. but usually around 10-25 days would be a fair ballpark. Some cases can be a little quicker and others will take longer but without know all of the details you can only really work with a ballpark range.

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Thanks for this info Craig!

I shipped the car by sole use container to Sydney, with some household goods on the back seat and in the boot. It arrived a month ago and I'm still waiting. My customs broker was good with household container (cleared in one week) but pathetic with the car (slow getting valuation and sending paperwork for de-gassing exemption). Will I have to pay storage for the time before customs are cleared?

Hi

I'm going to be importing 2 VW corrado VR6's under the personel import scheme,

As these cars were never sold in Australia, are the checks it has to go through to get approval extensive and would this mean it would be a good opportunity to modify them here in the UK, I'm thinking changing the engine to the 24valve VR6,

cheers

Steve

Guest Guest67761
Thanks for the response. I have just submitted a cost estimate on your website…

So, if JDM DC5's are so rare over there - how would the import tax value (i think this is 5% isnt it?) be calculated? Or is this based on the AUDM car’s values?

Valuations for imported cars are calculated using a complex system although it would normally be based on the nearest similar Australian value and then adjusted as necessary with other deductions to work out the cost of landed goods. It's hard to explain but I can assure you that we know how to calculate it and will be able to give you a fairly accurate estimate of costs, so I will check your request and get back to you soon.

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Guest Guest67761
Thanks for this info Craig!

I shipped the car by sole use container to Sydney, with some household goods on the back seat and in the boot. It arrived a month ago and I'm still waiting. My customs broker was good with household container (cleared in one week) but pathetic with the car (slow getting valuation and sending paperwork for de-gassing exemption). Will I have to pay storage for the time before customs are cleared?

It's very common for customs agents or shipping agents to be useless with car imports because the process is different for cars. We have seen cars take a looooooong time which is very upsetting, especially if you end up having to pay storage costs which is quite possible. The other thing is that the valuations are often too high as well as slow in coming which is why we have the systems in place that we do to get things done more quickly and hopefully cheaper in the end too.

Feel free to email me at craig@ironladyimports.com to let me know more about the situation including details of the car, the customs broker and exactly where they are up to with the process because if they are still lacking then we might be able to help?

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Guest Guest67761
Hi

I'm going to be importing 2 VW corrado VR6's under the personel import scheme,

As these cars were never sold in Australia, are the checks it has to go through to get approval extensive and would this mean it would be a good opportunity to modify them here in the UK, I'm thinking changing the engine to the 24valve VR6,

cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

The requirements are different each state and will also largely depend on who you get to do the inspection/certification work as some will be extremely strict and others a lot more relaxed. I can't really advise without knowing where you are going in Australia, who you are getting to help with the import (are you going to use us?) and a lot more detail about the modification to these cars.

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi Steve,

The requirements are different each state and will also largely depend on who you get to do the inspection/certification work as some will be extremely strict and others a lot more relaxed. I can't really advise without knowing where you are going in Australia, who you are getting to help with the import (are you going to use us?) and a lot more detail about the modification to these cars.

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Thanks Craig,

We are moving back to Sydney

the car(s) (have only one so far, but the second will be purchased in plenty of time for importing rules) is standard except for stereo, speakers and amps,

At most the modifications will consist of,

Lowering

Wheels

Air con (using standard air/con parts from VAG)

possible engine swap involving the 24 valve V6 engine out of the mk4 golf v6 4motion,

I will certainly be getting in touch with you (iron lady imports) re. helping(prob by phone as I'm a slow typer!!)

Could you give me a idea of the timescale I'll need to be working to

cheers

​Steve

Guest Guest67761
Thanks Craig,

We are moving back to Sydney

the car(s) (have only one so far, but the second will be purchased in plenty of time for importing rules) is standard except for stereo, speakers and amps,

At most the modifications will consist of,

Lowering

Wheels

Air con (using standard air/con parts from VAG)

possible engine swap involving the 24 valve V6 engine out of the mk4 golf v6 4motion,

I will certainly be getting in touch with you (iron lady imports) re. helping(prob by phone as I'm a slow typer!!)

Could you give me a idea of the timescale I'll need to be working to

cheers

​Steve

Hi Steve,

Allow around 3-4 weeks to get the import approval from the Australian Government, then another 5-6 weeks for shipping, around 2 weeks for Customs clearance and another 2 weeks for preparation for road registration.

You will need to make sure the engine fitted to the car is listed on the V5 paperwork otherwise it could be subject to scrutiny in Sydney.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi Steve,

Allow around 3-4 weeks to get the import approval from the Australian Government, then another 5-6 weeks for shipping, around 2 weeks for Customs clearance and another 2 weeks for preparation for road registration.

You will need to make sure the engine fitted to the car is listed on the V5 paperwork otherwise it could be subject to scrutiny in Sydney.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

That sounds great Craig

so you don't envisage any problems with the engine being more powerful (standard 190ps, 24v 204-220ps)

Hi Guys,

I am looking to ship a car from the UK to Sydney and would like to know where I stand with regards to Import Tax/Duties.

Car: Mazda RX8

Year: 2007

Engine size: 2616cc

Fuel: Petrol (Unleaded)

UK Value: UKP £4000

AUS Value: $20000

I have owned the car for 4 years and am emigrating to Australia under a visa called ‘Provisional Partner Visa (Subclass 309)’(leads to Permanent, therefore am entitled) with my partner and child who are both Australian Citizens.

Can someone give me a rough calculation? Your help is much appreciated!

Guest Guest67761
That sounds great Craig

so you don't envisage any problems with the engine being more powerful (standard 190ps, 24v 204-220ps)

A slightly more powerful engine will not be a problem as long as it's the same basic engine as far as cubic capacity, number of cylinders, etc ... any major modifications could require a separate engineers certificate so please let me know if there will be any more serious including as much detail as possible so I can advise further. Probably best to email me at craig@ironladyimports.com so you can give information and include photos, etc if necessary.

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi Guys,

I am looking to ship a car from the UK to Sydney and would like to know where I stand with regards to Import Tax/Duties.

Car: Mazda RX8

Year: 2007

Engine size: 2616cc

Fuel: Petrol (Unleaded)

UK Value: UKP £4000

AUS Value: $20000

I have owned the car for 4 years and am emigrating to Australia under a visa called ‘Provisional Partner Visa (Subclass 309)’(leads to Permanent, therefore am entitled) with my partner and child who are both Australian Citizens.

Can someone give me a rough calculation? Your help is much appreciated!

I have replied to your email already so you should see that in your inbox hopefully. Please reply to that email if you need any more information at all.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi iron Chef and all need some help here with personal importing and the 100 points

Ok so we have 2 cars my wife’s and mine. Points wise my wife is fine she is an Australian citizen and has 50 points from resignation letter, 25 from Medicare as already has her number from before, 25 from TFN number and 25 from bank account and 20 for household goods shipping.

Now I will have 50 points for my resignation letter handing that in today as have to give 3 month’s notice, 25 points as I can open a bank account from London through the Common Wealth Bank once the check my visa details and 20 points from shipment of household goods (guess can get quotes for this from shippers as proof). This leaves me 5 points short. We own our flat so we are going to rent it out so can’t send proof of cancelation of rental or sale unless they accept a letter from the agent renting it for us.

I guess I could get a few months medical insurance which gets me 25 points but don’t really want the expense of it. What else can I provide to get five points or would they be forgiving if I sent a copy of our marriage certificate and we are both importing cars together. We can’t wait till we arrive in AUS to ship them as we intend to travel for a few months before getting there.

Thanks

zeroasylum

Guest Guest67761
Hi iron Chef and all need some help here with personal importing and the 100 points

Ok so we have 2 cars my wife’s and mine. Points wise my wife is fine she is an Australian citizen and has 50 points from resignation letter, 25 from Medicare as already has her number from before, 25 from TFN number and 25 from bank account and 20 for household goods shipping.

Now I will have 50 points for my resignation letter handing that in today as have to give 3 month’s notice, 25 points as I can open a bank account from London through the Common Wealth Bank once the check my visa details and 20 points from shipment of household goods (guess can get quotes for this from shippers as proof). This leaves me 5 points short. We own our flat so we are going to rent it out so can’t send proof of cancelation of rental or sale unless they accept a letter from the agent renting it for us.

I guess I could get a few months medical insurance which gets me 25 points but don’t really want the expense of it. What else can I provide to get five points or would they be forgiving if I sent a copy of our marriage certificate and we are both importing cars together. We can’t wait till we arrive in AUS to ship them as we intend to travel for a few months before getting there.

Thanks

zeroasylum

If your wife is an Australian citizen then she will not be able to use MediCare, Tax File Number, Australian bank account, etc as evidence as this is only for non-citizens settling in Australia. We will be able to work with you to come up with the documents needed for both applications, there are cases where some documents can be shared between applications, and other times when other documents which are not listed can be used instead. This is part of our service to work through this with you to prepare the applications.

Please email me at craig@ironladyimports.com with all of the details of paperwork you have available for each of you at this stage, details of your situation with regards to owning the house in the UK, the dates you plan to leave the UK, etc and I will let you know what we can do for you to get these approvals processed.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Guest glilly65

[h=2]Moving Home back to oz[/h]

I am moving back to OZ next month and am looking for some help, i have been quoted £2950.00 door to door for my container from a company and an extra 850.00 for my car but i have to pick it up from the port. They supply boxes also. Please can i have your opinion on this???

Would very much appreciate it. :biggrin:

Guest Guest67761
Moving Home back to oz

I am moving back to OZ next month and am looking for some help, i have been quoted £2950.00 door to door for my container from a company and an extra 850.00 for my car but i have to pick it up from the port. They supply boxes also. Please can i have your opinion on this???

Would very much appreciate it. :biggrin:

It's impossible to give an opinion on the cost of household relocation because a lot of the cost depends on where you are located, where you are moving to in Australia, how much you have to be moved and exactly what they are including in the quote. I can tell you that if including the car in the same container is going to add £850 in total with no extra costs then that is not too bad. It would need to be collected from the container unpack depot in Australia rather than the actual port itself, but either way we arrange will arrange this for our clients anyway.

Feel free to email me at craig@ironladyimports.com for more information or when you are ready to get started with the process of applying for Australian Vehicle Import Approval for the car.

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi just looking for some help as read this thread but not entirely sure if I've got it right. We are thinking of taking our car BMW 520d touring. Now the only issue is its very high mileage 120k. Would probably only get 8k for it here. I think around $25k+ in oz. Now this is where I'm confused I've read the tax bit but not sure which value I would be taxed in. Could you please tell me the figure I would have to pay & if you think it's worth it or best cutting our losses.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi,

I have been offered a 1989 model Suzuki GSX-R 750 at a good price and was looking to bring it with me. I initially thought the law was FROM 1989 not PRE 1989 so when I checked I was obviously a bit disappointed. Then I saw a post regarding a Porche 911 that was registered early 1989 and you quoted that you could check actual year of manufacture from the vin number.

So I did a bit of research and hopefully I'm right in thinking it's the 10th character of the vin that defines the year of manufacture? If so the 10th character is a '2'. I know I'm clutching at straws a bit but if you could confirm the info one way or the other I'd be very grateful.

If I've mis-understood the vin number system then please also get back to me and tell me what characters I need to look for if it's a 1988 build.

Many thanks

Gareth

Guest Guest67761
Hi,

I have been offered a 1989 model Suzuki GSX-R 750 at a good price and was looking to bring it with me. I initially thought the law was FROM 1989 not PRE 1989 so when I checked I was obviously a bit disappointed. Then I saw a post regarding a Porche 911 that was registered early 1989 and you quoted that you could check actual year of manufacture from the vin number.

So I did a bit of research and hopefully I'm right in thinking it's the 10th character of the vin that defines the year of manufacture? If so the 10th character is a '2'. I know I'm clutching at straws a bit but if you could confirm the info one way or the other I'd be very grateful.

If I've mis-understood the vin number system then please also get back to me and tell me what characters I need to look for if it's a 1988 build.

Many thanks

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

If the 10th digit is the number 2 then that implies that it's in fact a 2002 built bike which doesn't sound correct from what you are saying. A 1988 model should have the 10th digit as 'J' and a 1989 should be 'K' however some manufacturers will use the 11th digit for the build date, especially in Europe and the UK, and to be honest I am not entirely sure about motorbikes as they could be different again. The best way would be to call a Suzuki dealer and ask them to run it through their system.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Guest Guest67761
Hi just looking for some help as read this thread but not entirely sure if I've got it right. We are thinking of taking our car BMW 520d touring. Now the only issue is its very high mileage 120k. Would probably only get 8k for it here. I think around $25k+ in oz. Now this is where I'm confused I've read the tax bit but not sure which value I would be taxed in. Could you please tell me the figure I would have to pay & if you think it's worth it or best cutting our losses.

Many thanks in advance.

The import duty and tax is calculated on an Australian Customs valuation of the vehicle, not your original purchase price, the current UK market value or the Australian market value. The value that you are taxed on should represent the raw cost of goods landed at the point of entry into Australia so it will be a lot lower than the Australian market value. We can fairly accurately estimate this value and the associated importing costs for more cars if you give us all of the information needed, so for more detailed information please fill out the cost estimate request form on our website at http://www.ironladyimports.com/cost-estimate

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi just a quick question. When myself and my wife move to Melbourne in November we will be staying initially for the first 2-3 months with m my father in law till we get settled. This will also be the initial registration address for our cars that we import.

Now if we draw up a rental agreement with him for his period as we will be living there and contributing to household bills etc will this be sufficient to gain the 50 points needed. Also can it be used for both of us can we use the same document to get points from it as husband and wife.

Many thank in advance

Guest Guest67761
Hi just a quick question. When myself and my wife move to Melbourne in November we will be staying initially for the first 2-3 months with m my father in law till we get settled. This will also be the initial registration address for our cars that we import.

Now if we draw up a rental agreement with him for his period as we will be living there and contributing to household bills etc will this be sufficient to gain the 50 points needed. Also can it be used for both of us can we use the same document to get points from it as husband and wife.

Many thank in advance

Providing proof of living with relatives can be acceptable evidence to support your application in many cases, and paperwork including this should be able to be shared between multiple applications depending on how they are prepared. We can certainly advise further and help with putting the applications together for you as well as submitting them for processing with the Australian government when the time comes. Please keep in mind that it will take at least 3 weeks to process assuming there are no unforeseen issues so make sure you start the process at least 4-6 weeks before you wanted to ship the car.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi

Hoping to ship our vehicle to Oz. Have heard that because the clock is in miles per hour that once it lands and is inspected that they will change the clock to Kilometers and charge us an extortionate amount to do so. Is this correct?

​Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi Beeps, your speedometer will need to read in km/h somewhere, even if it also reads in MPH elsewhere. Most modern UK cars usually have the ability to show both, in which case you don't need to do anything. If your car is older and only reads in MPH then I highly recommend getting the cluster changed to km/h in the UK before it leaves.

Hi Beeps, your speedometer will need to read in km/h somewhere, even if it also reads in MPH elsewhere. Most modern UK cars usually have the ability to show both, in which case you don't need to do anything. If your car is older and only reads in MPH then I highly recommend getting the cluster changed to km/h in the UK before it leaves.

Hi

Many thanks for your reply.

Billie