Feeling a bit strange

Guest mandy1970

Guest mandy1970

We fly on 26 October to Perth (under 2 weeks now!!!) and people keep saying that I/we must be getting excited. Thats the problem - I don't think I am.

Don't get me wrong, I am really looking forward to going and starting our new life but can't seem to get "in the mood".

My husband works away and is not home until 21 so I have been sorting out all the small things, like hair appointments, leaving presents,etc. All the other things were organised and sorted before he went. I am going between being bored to getting stressed for no reason - feels strange.

Close family and friends are quite upset that we are going and I think this is possibly the reason I cant get excited. I dont want to appear to be glad I am leaving. Does this make sense? I/we have had a few get togethers (dinner, lunches etc) with more to come and some tears but I don't think reality has kicked in yet. Will it?

We are still trying to find a buyer or tennant for our house but would be alright leaving it empty for a while if necessary. We lost £1000 to Crown Currency when they went bust last week but that will take care of itself - nothing we can really do unfortunately. I have just been "oh well" about it.

I am a "get up and get it done " practical person so I am hoping that once everything is sorted and we are sitting in our limo to take us to the airport I can then relax a little and say "horaay lets go and start our new adventure"

I am beginning to feel as though I am missing out somehow on this whole experience.

Mandy

Hi Mandy,

We leave in 4 weeks, but I am excited. Actually sometimes I have to pinch myself as it has been our plan for 3 yrs now and can't beleive it is happening at last. I was sick of people asking me if we were still going or when, for so long it was so good actually telling them our leaving date. I think a lot of people watch these Down Under program and think you just turn up a few months later!! If only!!

I understand how you feel, I have been the one arranging things, tying things up, sorting cards and presents for family birthdays and xmas. I actually hate xmas so I was determined to get to oz before, I find it all such stress and hype. I think it's normal how you feel as I too find it really hard to talk about our plans in front of family especially my mum, when you talk about it you feel like your rubbing their nose in it, and I keep saying we dont know whether it will work we might be home soon and playing the whole experience down, but really I hope we never feel we have to come home.

I think because you are being practical, you havent got time to relax and think ahead, the toughest time is yet ahead, and I think there will be many tears at the airport and on the plane.

I also hate being around negative people, who think you are making a mistake, I personally think they are jealous that we have been given this opportunity for a new adventure.

The grass is never greener, just different, and life will have the same stress and strains but hey ho!!! everything looks better in the sunshine.

Good Luck to you, and hope you enjoy your adventure.

Nicki x

Guest ilovemelbourne

Hi Mandy

Don't worry, its normal with all the packing and arrangements, its a busy time or organizing before you leave.

It didn't really hit me until I was on the plane, and the excitement started when we arrived and were settling in.

Its really hard to be excited before you leave when your friends and family are not looking forward to your departure.

Don't be hard on yourself. Good luck with the move :)

Hi Mandy

I think you get to a point where everything is sorted out and you are just waiting to go. This leaves you in a state of limbo as you do not know what the future holds. I can remember boarding the plane and having the strangest feeling, it wasn't fear, excitement or anything, it is very hard to describe.....you are starting a new life but do not where you will live, what job you might get etc so to all intents and purposes there is nothing to get excited about. Excitement comes from the anticipation of knowing what is ahead and there are so many unknowns.

Archived