Working Holiday Visa Peeps :)

BritChickx

Those of you with a Bank account set up - do you have monthly payments to have the account?

Depending on the bank account you might get charged a monthly fee if there is less than $1000 going in every month, but even if you do its generally only $5 a month. We don't get charged on our account with NAB, shop around the big 4 for the different offers they do, and try phoning their Migrant banking dept as well, as sometimes they waive the monthly fee I've heard from others. Hope that helps :)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Emmberry
Depending on the bank account you might get charged a monthly fee if there is less than $1000 going in every month, but even if you do its generally only $5 a month. We don't get charged on our account with NAB, shop around the big 4 for the different offers they do, and try phoning their Migrant banking dept as well, as sometimes they waive the monthly fee I've heard from others. Hope that helps :)

That's great advice, I'm going to have a look around.

OP this thread makes intriguing reading... All the excitement of the people on their way, and feedback from those currently on their travels. :biggrin:

My fiance and I are going to be heading out to Brisbane on a WHV (via Thailand for a weeks holiday) and we'll be going from Manchester in May 2012. It seems so close and so far, with so much to sort in the meantime! :confused:

We're going to fruitpick in hopefully the Sunshine Coast and then try to get jobs in our professions. It would be nice to hear about anyone's experiences of farm work in Qld?

We have our visa's and are busy saving and enjoying time with friends and family at the moment. Can't wait to get out there, Good luck to all those currently enjoying their WHV's!

Brings back memories reading through this thread, so much excitement and trepidation!

Oh and I came over on WHVs in October 2008 and haven't left. Now on a 457, hoping to apply for PR next year.

Choosing to do a WHV was the best decision we ever made, we've had the most amazing time and are so much stronger for what we've been through together. Most notably fruit picking and living in our car for 3 months ;) and just generally having no money! All character building!

My advice would be to just go with the flow, do things you've never done before and don't compare things to back home....it's different and that's the point right? Get out of your comfort zone and you might just suprise yourself.

Have fun and be safe!!! :)

Guest James Kimmins

Is anyone else in contact with the 'Work and Travel Company Australia' as part of their working holiday? I'm going with Real Gap and this company WTC are part of the package- they help us find work.

Has anyone got a review of this company? I've just read the small print and, I might've read it wrong, but it looks like they take a fee from wages. Wonder if this is the case?

Guest James Kimmins

Hi everyone, wonder if you can help me with a visa question I'm stressing about.

I bought the WHV back in November 2010 but I don't have a note of the visa number, is this important?

I've bought the visa and have the receipt, I just don't have anymore information on it. Is it meant to be like that? Will it just be on customs computer or do i need some details? I'm going in 4 days and finding loads of this to stress about!

Guest James Kimmins
It should be on their computer system, take the receipt that you have just incase, although if you have applied, been granted and paid it will be on their systems :)

Have fun :)

Thanks, so I don't need to know the visa number or details other than it's a WHV? I know they don't issue a sticker or stamp for the passport but I have no visa details other than the STA Travel payment receipt!

I'll have loads of fun when I'm there next week, hope ur having a great time mate!

Thanks, so I don't need to know the visa number or details other than it's a WHV? I know they don't issue a sticker or stamp for the passport but I have no visa details other than the STA Travel payment receipt!

I'll have loads of fun when I'm there next week, hope ur having a great time mate!

If all you ha e is the receipt are you certain the visa has been approved? If you received confirmation of approval that will have the visa number on it.

If I was you I would call STA and go and have a look through any emails you were sent around that time from them.

No, you don't need the number to enter the country but it's definitely nice to at least have a print out as proof or even for peace of mind.

I know that when I applied for jobs a few asked for the number so always good to have.

Lisa :)

Guest James Kimmins

thanks for your help!

I've called STA and they've resent the email to me. I bought it in December and haven't used my old email all year, it wasn't there anymore. But it's done now. I just need to pack!

Guest James Kimmins
Have a great time James,:jiggy: keep us posted how you get on? :cool:

Yeah I'll keep everyone posted Emmberry! What are your plans? are you allready there or going soon? x

Guest Emmberry

Meant to be lots of work in Perth. I'm hoping for something around Brisbane and Sunshine Coast.

There could be many more opportunities in Australia than the UK or maybe it's just marketing and BS, we'll soon find out

I'll (eventually) be heading off in April / May 2012 time. And like you, I'll be going to Brisbane / Sunshine / Gold Coast and seeing whats about...

I'm open to Perth too. I'm just going to go with an open mind an get an internal flight to wherever interests me next! I'm contemplating getting a campervan, but I don't think I could live in it while fruit picking :wacko:

What kind of work are you going to look for do you think? And have you planned how long you'll spend in Sydney? :smile:

Guest James Kimmins
I'll (eventually) be heading off in April / May 2012 time. And like you, I'll be going to Brisbane / Sunshine / Gold Coast and seeing whats about...

I'm open to Perth too. I'm just going to go with an open mind an get an internal flight to wherever interests me next! I'm contemplating getting a campervan, but I don't think I could live in it while fruit picking :wacko:

What kind of work are you going to look for do you think? And have you planned how long you'll spend in Sydney? :smile:

I would love to get a car or a camper but I have little idea how far my money will stretch at the moment. I'll be in hostels most of the time- depends on income.

i'm looking into Harvest Trail work and Bar Work, there's also a lot of jobs in Perth like mining which might be well paid. Southern Queensland has harvest jobs this time of year- there's lots on the website but we need to be in australia to apply for them.

I'll be in Sydney for a week until 9th october then after that anything could happen! Staying in Bondi Beachhouse YHA :)

http://jobsearch.gov.au/harvesttrail/default.aspx this is useful for fruit jobs :)

Guest Joebhoy87

3 weeks and 5 days , 15 days left of work =P not that am keeping count haha. Whats everyone doing first get there or what did they do when they first got there? am not sure weither to get a hoteel for the first few nights or just go straight into a hostel. And should i book this before i go or is it easy to book in wen u get there? And wheres good to get insuranace? Sta seemed very dear. Anyway hope every 1 has a great time and maybe bump into yous over ther lol.

Guest James Kimmins

I arrived this morning in Sydney! Look ages to relaxed-felt a bit panicked but i'm starting to relax now.

Wish I knew;

- How expensive the basics are

- That jet lag is a bitch

- That we can open a Aussie bank account from the UK well before we go

Guest The Pom Queen
I arrived this morning in Sydney! Look ages to relaxed-felt a bit panicked but i'm starting to relax now.

Wish I knew;

- How expensive the basics are

- That jet lag is a bitch

- That we can open a Aussie bank account from the UK well before we go

Welcome to Sydney. Glad you are starting to chill. It took us nearly 2 weeks to get over the jet lag:no:

Guest Scarletta

Hey,

James - Hope you are relaxing in Sydney now! I noticed you said that you got your visa from STA travel - did you get a tax file number from them too?

The reason I ask is that on their website they have it advertised that they can sort your Tax file number out and when I called them they said the same thing and wanted a quick sale over the telephone (which I managed to get out of). When I go to https://iar.ato.gov.au/iarweb/default.aspx?pid=4&sid=1&outcome=1 the wording says you have to be in Oz to organise this. A couple of people on here have also said that you need to be in Oz too to arrange this so I wonder how STA travel manage to organise TFN for a fee when all advice seems to point out that you actually need to be in Oz and then you can do it online yourself for free...

Guest AnubisUK

Hello fellow backpackers! I have just been granted my second year visa and shall be in Oz till about May next year when I shall head home. I'll be in Melbourne until Christmas at least, but not sure what I'm doing after that. Either stay in Melbourne or go back to Sydney. I'll decide closer to the time. Anyone wants to get in touch and meet up please feel free :)

Hey,

The reason I ask is that on their website they have it advertised that they can sort your Tax file number out and when I called them they said the same thing and wanted a quick sale over the telephone (which I managed to get out of). When I go to https://iar.ato.gov.au/iarweb/default.aspx?pid=4&sid=1&outcome=1 the wording says you have to be in Oz to organise this. A couple of people on here have also said that you need to be in Oz too to arrange this so I wonder how STA travel manage to organise TFN for a fee when all advice seems to point out that you actually need to be in Oz and then you can do it online yourself for free...

Do it yourself fee free when you get there. You cannot get one before you get there, STA will just do it for you when you get there and charge you, so do it yourself it's just an online thing to fill in, easy peasy. TBH, if you can't cope with getting your own TFN, then you probably can't cope with being away from Mum & Dad and travelling on your own lol (and if you think 'well, I can go travelling' then, you can get your TFN number.) Sorry, I just hate all these companies preying on young people making a quick buck out of them. Fair enough if it was needed, but it simply isn't.

Guest Scarletta

Thanks PositivePixie for your helpful advice.

I'm just trying to be super organised but I guess this TFN will have to wait until Oz.

Thank you :smile:

Archived