Back in the UK ?permanent or not

mcmillsa

I came back to the UK suddenly after I heard my dad was deteriating quite quickly. I had no second thoughts and got a flight back with my son and left my husband and daughter in Australia. We were planning our gaining our citizenship next Sept then returning back to England as I have been very homesick for the last 9 months. Have been in Oz for 3 years and for the first 2 absolutely loved it then something changed and I started craving the UK.

Now I am back I am torn I know I can't return whilst my dad is so ill I have put my son in school here and am awaiting an unexpected job interview result.

But we so want to get citizenship then if we make the wrong move we can return. Trying to work out if we could manage my husband staying there another year to gain his citizenship then the kids would have it and I could get a return visa.

Has anyone else been torn between two countries or been in this position?

I like Australia and it has been a fantastic experience for us all but still feel the Uk is my home and I feel sometimes so isolated there although we have loads of friends. Sometimes think its better to hate the experience in Oz its easier to make the decision then. Realising now that how far away you are when family members get ill is alful, we were lucky to be in the position for me to come back although hard to be separated from OH and daughter not knowing how long for.

On a positive side looking at the beautiful countryside taking my son to school still is taking my breath away even on a grey rainy day and seeing the christmas stuff in shops is amazing I have so missed Christmas here. Houses are cheap have to accept will never live in a house like I do in Oz again but family can't share that with you and seeing my 5 year old with grandparents doting on them is lovely.

An addit, I don't miss the creatures in Oz!! Red bellied black snake in my house one day not good!! What a long blog! Let you know about the job if it is meant to be then it will be.

I came back to the UK suddenly after I heard my dad was deteriating quite quickly. I had no second thoughts and got a flight back with my son and left my husband and daughter in Australia. We were planning our gaining our citizenship next Sept then returning back to England as I have been very homesick for the last 9 months. Have been in Oz for 3 years and for the first 2 absolutely loved it then something changed and I started craving the UK.

Now I am back I am torn I know I can't return whilst my dad is so ill I have put my son in school here and am awaiting an unexpected job interview result.

But we so want to get citizenship then if we make the wrong move we can return. Trying to work out if we could manage my husband staying there another year to gain his citizenship then the kids would have it and I could get a return visa.

I like Australia and it has been a fantastic experience for us all but still feel the Uk is my home and I feel sometimes so isolated there although we have loads of friends. Sometimes think its better to hate the experience in Oz its easier to make the decision then. Realising now that how far away you are when family members get ill is alful, we were lucky to be in the position for me to come back although hard to be separated from OH and daughter not knowing how long for.

On a positive side looking at the beautiful countryside taking my son to school still is taking my breath away even on a grey rainy day and seeing the christmas stuff in shops is amazing I have so missed Christmas here. Houses are cheap have to accept will never live in a house like I do in Oz again but family can't share that with you and seeing my 5 year old with grandparents doting on them is lovely.

An addit, I don't miss the creatures in Oz!! Red bellied black snake in my house one day not good!! What a long blog! Let you know about the job if it is meant to be then it will be.

Is England my home ......absolutely

Would i live anywhere else ......probably not

Did i love Oz ......very much .....but it wasnt my home ,and never would be.

Taking everything into account , including all the warts , this beautiful country is still a great place to live.

Guest punky pom

Hi there, How is your dad? i HOPE HE IS IMPROVING. I know how you feel we emigrated 6 yrs ago. We have evn travelled around Australia for 2 years seen all these wonderful places. But you cant beat the countryside in the UK and Christmas is definitely not the same in OZ.We are planning on coming back to UK in December for good, but we have to sell the house and the caravan and this is proving difficult. We have got our citizenship and our Aussie passports mainly for the childrens sake if they want to come back when they get older. We too have made some great friends but its just not the same.It must be hard for you with your hubby and daughter still being here. Anyway I hope it all works out and that you get the job.

Hi there, How is your dad? i HOPE HE IS IMPROVING. I know how you feel we emigrated 6 yrs ago. We have evn travelled around Australia for 2 years seen all these wonderful places. But you cant beat the countryside in the UK and Christmas is definitely not the same in OZ.We are planning on coming back to UK in December for good, but we have to sell the house and the caravan and this is proving difficult. We have got our citizenship and our Aussie passports mainly for the childrens sake if they want to come back when they get older. We too have made some great friends but its just not the same.It must be hard for you with your hubby and daughter still being here. Anyway I hope it all works out and that you get the job.

That sounds great what you did, I know what you mean about selling our house isn't selling either.

In my heart of hearts feel I need to get citizenship and finish our last bit of time in Oz travelling and seeing the country.

My dad is at end of life stage so spending all the time I have with him so glad I came back got that precious time now. Everything day to day.

Reading your post was exactly how I am feeling. Also been here 3 years and feeling so homesick at moment it's awful. I broke into tears in the hairdressers today ! If you can make it through for your citizenship then at least if you did want to return you can and the last 3 years got you something.

Wishing your Dad well and good luck on the job X

you sound like me to although we been here 3 months , we love it but i no i now cant stay until we get citizenship as the paim of missing family is to much already hope you dad gets better soon take care

You are just down the road (in oz terms) from us. I am staying in UK till at least Jan if I get a decent job in that time will stay. Have to stay for christmas to be with family esp with my dad who prob won't be here by that time. The OH and daughter will be coming over to. Happy been here in England though feels like I am home missed that feeling.

You are just down the road (in oz terms) from us. I am staying in UK till at least Jan if I get a decent job in that time will stay. Have to stay for christmas to be with family esp with my dad who prob won't be here by that time. The OH and daughter will be coming over to. Happy been here in England though feels like I am home missed that feeling.

good luck with what you decide and hope you cope ok about your dad

Hi I am in exactly the same position. I found out my dad was ill and also deteriorating and was on a flight within 12 hours. I left my hubby and kids in Perth and boy was it a long flight. Sadly I did not get back in time to see my dad as he passed away 10 hours before I got here. The guilt has been overwhelming. If I had lived here, I would have been here at the end. I am now seriously stressing about leaving my mum even though I do have a brother and sister here, because if anything happens to her, what will I do.

I have always been totally pro Australia and always said that I would never come back to live in the UK but my husband has been homesick for the whole 20 months we have been in Oz. We have made some fab friends, but seeing my family here and all our old friends has given me a reality check and made me feel that we are missing out on something. Financailly it will be a nightmare as we went to Oz with very little and would come back with even less. I really don't know which way to go with it, I suppose I will have to see how I feel once I get back on Australian soil :(

Hi I am in exactly the same position. I found out my dad was ill and also deteriorating and was on a flight within 12 hours. I left my hubby and kids in Perth and boy was it a long flight. Sadly I did not get back in time to see my dad as he passed away 10 hours before I got here. The guilt has been overwhelming. If I had lived here, I would have been here at the end. I am now seriously stressing about leaving my mum even though I do have a brother and sister here, because if anything happens to her, what will I do.

I have always been totally pro Australia and always said that I would never come back to live in the UK but my husband has been homesick for the whole 20 months we have been in Oz. We have made some fab friends, but seeing my family here and all our old friends has given me a reality check and made me feel that we are missing out on something. Financailly it will be a nightmare as we went to Oz with very little and would come back with even less. I really don't know which way to go with it, I suppose I will have to see how I feel once I get back on Australian soil :(

what a nightmare for you so sad hope you ok, i no it does make you think hope you make the right decision x

Ah thats sad its so hard. I got a homesickness for Oz today (husband and daughter still there) then I just thought I could not go through all this again I still have my dad (for a short while) then there is my stepmum, mum and stepdad. What happens next time.I don't want to have to split my family again when something else occurs. The pressure is really hard but the way people have gone out the way and helped me back in the UK is unreal. Time will tell what happens with you like you say you may know once you get back to Australia how you feel. I have seen in the last couple of weeks how my dads life long friends have rallied round him thats what lifelong friends are I know where I truely belong. Good luck in what you decide x

I can fully understand your prediciment i am nurisng in Brisbane my mum is quite ill in Uk with emphysema and I heard today she has a DVT in her leg my dad who has been nursing her he has been diagnosed with a heart condition and has to go to the local Heart hospital but he is so stubborn about mum and letting others care (outside agencies) He always plays things down i have 4 siblings there to help and my eldest is still i n uk. I went back in january and stayed for 8 weeks i helped Dad with mum and at times it was tiring for me and I even lost weight so poor dad My husband and one son stayed back here in Oz that was difficult for me .We have just got our permanent residencey and have to wait 4 yrs for citizenship i still have the return section of my air ticket back to uk to be used before feb. i have not brought a house in OZ but now have PR we are looking but i think i am doing this half hearterdly as at the moment my heart is pulling me across the ocean. i am a strong believer in what is meant to be will be and things happen for a reason ie yr job offer

i wish you the very best in what ever you decide big hugs xx

Archived