Have I chosen the wrong shipping company?

rikyuu

We are currently in the process of moving to Melbourne and I researched which shipping company to use for weeks. There was only one company which appeared to have no complaints and very good reviews so I went with them. I arranged everything to the n'th detail and everything went fine up to and including collection.

We were told to expect it to take 9-13 weeks before our stuff was delivered, so we reckoned on 11 weeks average. The packers even told us they were shipping quite regular so it wouldn't be long before it was off.

Anyway, it's now 5 weeks and the company still can't even give me an estimate of when they think it might go. They stopped responding to my emails, even though I sent a complaint to the area manager it was ignored. When I phone them, I get the usual excuses of "the person who looks after the container is on holiday" etc. I can't believe they only have one person doing that in a major relocation company. They are always just wating on some little bit of information, but then come back with no answer.

Am I worring uneccessarily? Is it fairly typical for it to take this long to ship? I can't believe they can't work out how much space is left in the container and what goods they still have to collect. Also, I can't see how it's going to be within 13 weeks as it's been 5 weeks already, with still no estimate, 6 weeks on the ship, 2 weeks + customs etc. No chance!

It seems that once these companies have your stuff and your money, they've got you over a barrel, just when you need them to do what you paid them for.

Our biggest reason for leaving the UK is this type of shoddy service, where they don't give a monkeys about their customers. Ironic that the last thing I'll ever pay for in the UK will give me poor service yet again.:mad:

I won't name the company just yet (unless people want to know), in case they still meet 13 weeks by some miracle, but I will if it turns out to be very late.

Although we're not shipping furniture, we'll still have to buy lots of duplicate stuff in Oz that is being shipped.

Unfortunately I cant offer any help, its sounds appalling. I'm just in the process of choosing a shipping company so far had White & Co and Doree Bonner round have Pickfords and Crown still to come, would love to know who you used and who your second choice was, so I don't make the same mistake?

Good luck hope it turns up soon.

Thanks

Can we guess???

Is the name of the company something a king or queen would wear :idea:

Yes or No would be great, that way you don't need to name them!

We have had our quotes and we only require 1/2 of a container. They are talking about collecting the container end of Oct for an end of Jan delivery.... So I guess that's 12 to 13 weeks.... I'd be right annoyed if it took longer than that, because I've made it quite clear that I'll be a pain in their side if they have not been honest with me.

Myself I'd rather know upfront how long something will take.

I've shipped a few times and from my experience that is fairly standard. Ours were corporate bookings so you think they'd have good communication to ensure they keep the account, but no.

Only once I have been told when the shipment has left the UK. Typically they have notified me a week or two before arrival instead. I've never had it take more than 13 weeks and annoyingly I did once have an asian shipment take only 4 and I was nowhere near ready for it!

I would think a big part of the timing issue with aus is customs/quarantine clearance so until it arrives and is booked in for that they'll probably not be able to give you a date.

Try not to stress too much, it is only stuff after all.

What a shame,you must be so frustrated with it already i hope once it's on the ship everything goes smoothly for you, Im currently in the process of getting quotes together and so far have had 3 different companies in, i cant believe the difference in volumes they think i will need one company suggested 215cuft, another 360cuft for the same stuff, so who do i believe? I have a feeling if i go with the first quote i will get a nasty surprise on packing day, would you mind PM'ing me with the name of the company so i can avoid using them please, thankyou. Cheryl.x

Guest guest33730
Can we guess???

Is the name of the company something a king or queen would wear :idea:

I hope not - They were superb for us, told us when the shipment was leaving - even naming the vessel and then we were able to track the shipment online - It did take a week longer then they had originally planned but that was due to weather conditions out of their control. It would be sad to see them not offering the same standard of service that they offered us to everyone.

Daniel

Thanks for all your replies. By popular demand, they are something a King would wear!

I'd read nothing but good things about them before I decided to use them, so I'm very frustated now. It's not knowing and not replying to my emails which is annoying and makes me think they are stalling for time.

The packers were very quick, although we had most of our stuff boxed already. But I was suprised that they didn't label the boxes with anything other than my surname and "Oz". I even spotted my name was spelt completely wrong a couple of times, so managed to correct it. Fortunately, I'd made up my own labels and was franticley sticking them on.

Another excuse they came up with to my wife, was that if we weren't going door to door, it would be quicker! Although she didn't ask why, I can't imagine how that would affect how long it takes to fill a container. And I hate the implication that it's somehow our fault!! :mad:

I hope not - They were superb for us, told us when the shipment was leaving - even naming the vessel and then we were able to track the shipment online - It did take a week longer then they had originally planned but that was due to weather conditions out of their control. It would be sad to see them not offering the same standard of service that they offered us to everyone.

Daniel

Yes, I was hoping the same. Which office did you deal with by the way?

Guest guest33730
Yes, I was hoping the same. Which office did you deal with by the way?

Scotland - they really were brilliant from beginning to end, I can't believe the problems you mention they were totally opposite for us, everything was well labelled, not one thing was damaged or broken, and they kept me informed the whole way through!

Daniel

Thanks for all your replies. By popular demand, they are something a King would wear!

I'd read nothing but good things about them before I decided to use them, so I'm very frustated now. It's not knowing and not replying to my emails which is annoying and makes me think they are stalling for time.

The packers were very quick, although we had most of our stuff boxed already. But I was suprised that they didn't label the boxes with anything other than my surname and "Oz". I even spotted my name was spelt completely wrong a couple of times, so managed to correct it. Fortunately, I'd made up my own labels and was franticley sticking them on.

Another excuse they came up with to my wife, was that if we weren't going door to door, it would be quicker! Although she didn't ask why, I can't imagine how that would affect how long it takes to fill a container. And I hate the implication that it's somehow our fault!! :mad:

I was told they colour code their boxes so when we get to our new home we hang the colour on the door and all the boxes with that colour go into that room......

Guest guest33730
I was told they colour code their boxes so when we get to our new home we hang the colour on the door and all the boxes with that colour go into that room......

Yep each box was colour coded and numbered to identify the room, the contents were listed on the inventory and the box signed by the person doing the packing.

Sounds to me like rikyuu just had a bad crew - it would be worth him letting the head office know of the problems because as you know their reputation on here has generally been very good.

Daniel

Yep each box was colour coded and numbered to identify the room, the contents were listed on the inventory and the box signed by the person doing the packing.

Sounds to me like rikyuu just had a bad crew - it would be worth him letting the head office know of the problems because as you know their reputation on here has generally been very good.

Daniel

I even said to the packers "is that all you write on the boxes, how do they get to Melbourne?". I was just told they get put in the Melbourne container and that's the only place it goes. Didn't really answer my question, but I trusted they'd done it a thousand times before.

Why don't shippers just make it clear, if you have a part container they are never sure when it will leave the UK.

yep, I just want them to be honest. They know now how annoyed I am about not being told, I've written 2 complaints to them, both of which were ignored, until I phoned them. Even my complaint to the area manager was ignored.

Maybe I should write to "Barry Koolen", the md, he replied directly on the british expats forum.

I even said to the packers "is that all you write on the boxes, how do they get to Melbourne?". I was just told they get put in the Melbourne container and that's the only place it goes. Didn't really answer my question, but I trusted they'd done it a thousand times before.

we are heading to Melbourne, and only want 1/2 a container...... Maybe they are waiting for us LOL

This is awful! When we moved to NZ, our stuff shipped with PSS and was door to door in 6 weeks - they were the cheapest and the quickest quote, no breakages and literally faultless service, given the vessel number and we could track it, the ships are published in the NZ Herald when they arrived and it was 3 days after that it arrived at our house - MAFF came to our place to check the wicker, signed it off and that was it! I am so sorry and hope this doesn't spoil the beginning of your exciting new adventure xx

Dont want to put a dampener on things but a friend of mine left 1 month after ourselves. we left in may they left in june their stuff arrived on shore last sunday they still have not got it delivered yet and have been told that they will have to pay extra because they have to deliver up stairs it looks like the same company as yours

they had a shared container so it looks like thats the reason it took so long

I can recommend John Mason no problems excellent service and our cheapest quote...

our stuff arrived 1 week earlier and sailed through custom.

good luck

thanks all. Its a shared container and we only had a small amount of stuff, 4 cubic m, 140 cuft. Hopefully it will ship next week as they say.

Just to cover myself, I emailed Crown about the labelling of the boxes to ask if additional labels had been added to whether they thought "my name" and "Oz" was sufficient and normal practise.

At least it will be nice to have a house thats not full of junk for a while!

Guest GeorgeD
thanks all. Its a shared container and we only had a small amount of stuff, 4 cubic m, 140 cuft. Hopefully it will ship next week as they say.

Just to cover myself, I emailed Crown about the labelling of the boxes to ask if additional labels had been added to whether they thought "my name" and "Oz" was sufficient and normal practise.

At least it will be nice to have a house thats not full of junk for a while!

How much did it cost you? I got a quote from them but I'm not sure the volume...they based it on the items I told them. I also got a price from Dorree Bonner and they said I'd only need 100cuft, which was £750-ish plus insurance.

Archived