Using a UK based travel agent to book a flight

Mike@Bonbeach

Hi all you seasoned travellers out there.

We are thinking of flying back to the UK next year for a 5 or 6 week visit and have been doing some fare searches on the net.

My question is whether it is possible to book a return flight through a UK based travel agent because my initial research shows that with such a strong Au $ you can get a much cheaper flight than booking through an agency here in Au. Is there anything wrong/illegal using the return half of the ticket first, will the airlines allow you to do it?. Has anyone done it?

It's our golden wedding anniversary next year and if we do go back then we intend flying business class as a one off present to ourselves, and the saving seems to be substantial.

eg Qantas Melbourne to Edinburgh and return is around $18500 booked in Au, but through an agent in the UK Edinburgh to Melbourne and return is about UKBP.9500. (this is the price for 2 people).

Ideas anyone

Mike

I suspect the only way you could maybe book a flight in the way you describe, is to have someone based in the U.K. book it for you. I heard a travel agent say on the radio once , that each online travel agency in each country has its own computer software which has the ability to detect where the the booking is been made from, and will not process a booking in the way you describe ( something to do with them losing money off the deal, I believe !) Still, I'd be interested to know if you succeed in your quest because it has the potential to save you some serious money.Good luck !

Hi all you seasoned travellers out there.

We are thinking of flying back to the UK next year for a 5 or 6 week visit and have been doing some fare searches on the net.

My question is whether it is possible to book a return flight through a UK based travel agent because my initial research shows that with such a strong Au $ you can get a much cheaper flight than booking through an agency here in Au. Is there anything wrong/illegal using the return half of the ticket first, will the airlines allow you to do it?. Has anyone done it?

It's our golden wedding anniversary next year and if we do go back then we intend flying business class as a one off present to ourselves, and the saving seems to be substantial.

eg Qantas Melbourne to Edinburgh and return is around $18500 booked in Au, but through an agent in the UK Edinburgh to Melbourne and return is about UKBP.9500. (this is the price for 2 people).

Ideas anyone

Mike

Have you tried a quote from Air Asia?

Our son and D-I-L are returning to UK in Spring next year and they said that was the best deal, they also do a business class.

They are flying Goldcoast to Stansted, not sure if they do other routes in Oz.

Travelbag UK said we could book the flights for them to fly from Oz to UK and back and we would pay in the UK but in the end we could not beat Air Asia price.

You may also want to follow this long thread on cheap flights

Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Archived