26 Female moving to Sydney October '10 looking to meet people!

Guest Ellie84

Hello everyone!

:)

I'm a 26 year old female Environmental Consultant and I'm going to be moving to Sydney (from Manchester) at the end of October.

I'm really, really excited about coming over but I don't know anyone in Sydney, and as I'm coming over by myself I thought I'd post a little message to try get to know a few people for when I get there!

I’m easy-going and I love reading, films, theatre, cooking (and eating!), arts and crafts, music, walking, having a good old chat over a glass of wine and loads of other things!

Any advice or friendship you could offer would be gratefully received, so please get in touch if I sound like your kind of gal (in a non ‘Lonely Hearts Column’ kind of way!)

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope to hear from you soon,

Ellie

Hi Ellie,

In a totally non-lonely hearts column kind of way, i'd love to meet up for a coffee and a chat!

I'm 22, originally from Birmingham/Milton Keynes and have been in Oz for almost 2 years but only 5 months in Sydney. I'm here on my partner's 457 visa.

I have to admit I've found it really difficult to meet people and make friends. I've mostly worked in casual roles as I was on working holiday visas until last month and the roles aren't really long enough to forge friendships.

My partner works really unpredictable hours, usually nights so I haven't been to any meet ups as I didn't want to be the only one there on my own lol.

Let me know if you're interested and we can make arrangements nearer the time.

Take care,

Lisa

Guest Northerngirl

Hi there. I'm planning on moving to Sydney in the New Year. I've lived in Melbourne before many years ago but love Sydney and Oz but I'm really nervous about moving back to Oz alone! I'll be doing what you're doing to meet people!

Loads of luck and I'll keep on this site and hopefully we can compare notes on Sydney in the New Year!

Hello Northerngirl and RayJ!:hug:

I'm coming out there on my lonesome too! It's quite scarey but really exciting too! Got my moving date as 28th of Oct and just waiting for the Visa to finalise (which is like waiting to sit a really hard exam! :unsure:

A lovely lady gave me the name of a Facebook group she started called 'Pommies in Sydney' which I think would be really helpful for meeting people.

Give me a bell if wither of you want to meet up when you're there!

GOOD LUCK!

Ellie :smile:

Guest Northerngirl

Hi there Ellie and RayJ!

Be great to meet up! You're right it's scary and exciting!

Good luck with the visa Ellie, hope it all goes smoothly.

:hug:

Hello everyone!

:)

I'm a 26 year old female Environmental Consultant and I'm going to be moving to Sydney (from Manchester) at the end of October.

I'm really, really excited about coming over but I don't know anyone in Sydney, and as I'm coming over by myself I thought I'd post a little message to try get to know a few people for when I get there!

I’m easy-going and I love reading, films, theatre, cooking (and eating!), arts and crafts, music, walking, having a good old chat over a glass of wine and loads of other things!

Any advice or friendship you could offer would be gratefully received, so please get in touch if I sound like your kind of gal (in a non ‘Lonely Hearts Column’ kind of way!)

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope to hear from you soon,

Ellie

G'day,

Hows it going, I hope the preparation for moving is going well, you're really going to love it here!

I emigrated a few years back and have travelled around Aussie, I moved to Sydney a week ago, so very much a newbie here but I am loving it so far!

If you wanted to catch up once your settled then drop me a line. I emigrated out here on my own also & it felt quite daunting at the time.

I like walking, shopping and love wine!

Bye for now and happy moving,Crispy :)

Hi Crispy,

Do you want to meet up when I am in Sydney? I love walking, shopping and wine too, could be fun. I am there from the 17th October for work.

Hope you can.

Hi Ellie

That sounds great,

Hey let me know when you have some time outside of work spare, and maybe what sort of things you might like to do.

I just came back from a tour around sydney today, Sydney is beautiful, though I have to say I think it may take a few visits to see everything the city has to offer.

I went out to the Botanic Gardens and Hyde Park with my fella and both are awesome, as is St. Marys Cathedral (...though I think I accidentally gate-crashed a wedding in there!)

Best go for now I guess,

Bye for now, and hey if you have any questions at all about Sydney then let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Chrissie :hug:

Guest faye84

Hi Ellie,

I'm 25 single female just arrived in Sydney from Gloucestershire, UK, 2 weeks ago by myself aswell! I'm living in the Northern Beaches about 40 mins away from the city centre. It's been good here so far, and I've found that people have been really friendly and helpful once they know your situation. I'm currenlty still looking for work but plan to be here for longer than my year working holiday visa, so am looking for more permament positions. It would be good to meet with you if you wish. There's another girl nearby in the same situation as us that I've met aswell which was cool, so I think you'll be just fine when you get here, as it seems there's lots of new people arriving! :)

Faye x

Guest cksrealm

Hi all,

I have recently just arrived in Sydney myself , arrived a week ago and know nobody myself, if you guys fancy a beer some time in the city let me know it would be great to meet some other expats.

Get in touch

Chris

Guest Welshfem

Hello Ladies,

How are you?

Im Jodie, a 29 year old, originally from Wales but living in London. I came back from Sydney a few days ago where I went to sort out our pending move, hopefully in January 2011. I will be moving there with my fiance and my 9 year old Son. I managed to sort out his school and find a house etc etc so we are ready to go as soon as the spouse visa comes through.

I am really lucky as I have alot of family out there but whilst I was visiting I thought that its ok when I am holidaying and family take time out to spend time with me but I wonder how I will find friends of my own and was going to post something very similar to Ellie. It is really comforting to know women like me are out there looking for friends too.....

Anyway, keep on posting and when finally get out there, perhaps a few of us could meet up for drinks!!

Best wishes!

Jodie

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys :hug:

Nice to hear other some other young single pommey girls plans and expereinces!

I am 27, been in Australia for 3 years now and after spening most of my time in the NT, I am now up the East Coast from sydney in Coffs Harbour, which is a beautiful spot but I have found it really hard to make friends here so am thinking of moving back to a City and am thinking of Sydney.

I currently work a 9 day fortnight so could easily come down for a weekend if we arrange an ex-pat meet up for all the posters on this thread? Seems like there will be a few of us and maybe a group meet will be eaiser? (Ive never done anything like meet ups before but it sounds fun!)

:biggrin: Selina

Hi everyone

Just arrived myself. Have you guys all met up yet? Would anyone fancy meeting for a drink and exchange any tips, advice and early knowledge. Looking for somewhere to live (My short term lease is nearly up!) at the mo and could do with some pointers.

Hi everyone

I've also recently moved herefrom the UK, am 26 and living with my other half in Manly - it would be great to meet up with you guys for a drink or two!

Esther

Hi,

My name is Emma, I am 28 and a recruitment consultant... I have been here for 5 months and I have met a few people off here and we have got a good group going.

However I am looking for more girls to go out with for wine and the like ! I live in Darling Habour and work in the city... Feel free to give me a shout on PM and I will shoot you my mobile number

:-)

• 1 month later...
Guest Danni2107

Hey Guys,

I just posted a similar thread!! I'm 24, and I'm moving back to Oz in June after 9 months back here in the dreary UK!!

Previously I lived on the Northern Beaches, Sydney for just over a year and I know Sydney and a lot of the surrounding areas very well so same as crispy, just ask if there are any questions!

It'd be great to meet up with people when I get back, I didn't meet anyone really the last time I was over.

Danielle

Guest Northerngirl

Hi there, I'm always keen for wine with the girls! I'm moving to Sydney at the end of Feb, finally got my visa and all set to start my new job in the first week in March! Very excited as it's so cold in the UK! Keep in touch and we should definately get together for a few glasses! : )

• 6 months later...
Guest Danni2107

Hi girls,

Just wondering if anyone actually met up as i'm back in Avalon now and desperate for a few hours in the company of other people not involved in my work!

I'm free most evenings and can also do lunch in the week sometimes so if anyone fancies meeting up please let me know :-)

Danni

• 1 month later...
Guest Lizzie1986

Hi all,

I'm 25 and looking to meet new people and hopefully make some good friends. My partner Ben 26 and I love outdoor activities and are happy to try new adventures.

I also love girly things and will never say no to pampering days, minus the bf! :)

We have lived here for 2yrs and plan to stay for a long time, if not forever...we love Sydney :) Maybe we could arrange a day for everyone to meet in October and go from there... Hope to hear back from any one who is up for a fun day or night out.

Cheers,

Liz&Ben

Guest ClaudiaMatt

Hi everyone,

I have taken a new job in Sydney and will be moving over there from the UK next month. Scary stuff but also really excited. Its good to see there are a lot of other people in the same position :-)

Claudia x

Archived