So, tell me about garage Sales !

lsbc1976

Guest smileykylie

They are like a car boot in someones yard.

Our neighbour had one the other weekend and people started arriving about 7.30am, presumably to get the good stuff. Often stuff is priced but haggling is pretty normal I think. We have heaps of them where I live and have posters all over the telegraph poles for the week before.

Some people sell some really good quality stuff at the garage sale, but still plenty of tatt on offer!

The only real difference between a car boot and a garage sale is that the stuff at the garage sale is from one residence (the person who owns the garage!) rather than a bunch of people. It's an American tradition that the Aussies have adopted. They are starting to take place in Britain too, but it'll be a long time before they replace the traditional car boot sale.

Garage sale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My wife is adicted to car boot sales. Although, in theory, the good stuff goes early, she likes to swoop in at closing time and buy any leftovers for pennies.

We really needed that ugly vase and the wicker back scratcher.

Seriously, indeed they're like personal car boot sales--often full of bargains and haggling is expected. We got the patio table and four chairs that we're still using for about $20.

Bob

The only real difference between a car boot and a garage sale is that the stuff at the garage sale is from one residence (the person who owns the garage!) rather than a bunch of people. It's an American tradition that the Aussies have adopted. They are starting to take place in Britain too, but it'll be a long time before they replace the traditional car boot sale.

Garage sale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back in the day Australia used to have a lot more car boot sales - which originally came from the canadians to the British and australians i believe - but garage sales are obviously more of an option here than the uk so have taken off here over the decades...

I wish I had cottoned onto garage sales a bit sooner after I arrived because they are a great way to learn your way around a new area while setting up a home for peanuts.. Some are great and others so-so, you can absolutely haggle within reason. If you are hosting a garage sale it is worth advertising the street name, not number because there are people who will turn up way before your advertised start time... I helped a friend with her sale and people were knocking on her door at 5.30am when she advertised 7.

car boot sales - which originally came from the canadians to the British and australians i believe

I lived in Canada for 9 years in the 70s and 80s and never saw a car boot sale. Plenty of yard/garage sales though.

I lived in Canada for 9 years in the 70s and 80s and never saw a car boot sale. Plenty of yard/garage sales though.

You're not calling wikipedia wrong are you? :wink:

"Father 'Harry' Clark a catholic Priest from Manchester first introduced the Car boot sale to the UK after seeing a similar event being held in Canada while on holiday there in the Early 1970's. Thanks to Father Clark, car boot sales now happen regularly across the UK every weekend of the year."

No, Wikipedia is infallible. It's just the people that quote them that are fools :wink:

Now, I'm not old enough to have any memories of the early 70's (only having been just born) but I bet there's someone on the boards who remembers car boots in the 1960s.

Archived