HELP I'm a bad mother!! Ex pats/teacher advice!!

Guest michele'n'michael

Guest michele'n'michael

OMG we've put the house up for sale cos we don't know how long it'll take to sell' want the best price etc etc But my kids are mortified!!

They understand we want to go to OZ & won't make any final decision 'till we've had our hollie in December, but we still feel as though ,even if Oz is not for us we need a new chapter in our life & if the house sells quick we can do rented!

Also my main dilemma calling ex pats & teachers do you think that moving the kids( will be just turned 8 & 14 at the possible time of moving) will be detrimental to their education??

I feel so selfish even tho' I'm hoping Oz will be their "skyes the limit " opportunity!

Michele:unsure::huh:

Guest wardy

Hi Michele

We are hopefully heading to Cairns in Dec/Jan our middle son will have just turned 14.

I dont think there is really an ideal time to take kids out of school once they are in high school. If it was the GCSE year I probably would wait, but I am sure that my son has achieved enough in his present school to see him through the change over once there.

I have a feeling that if you left next year he would be in yr 10 anyway same as he would be in England and the same as my lad i'm sure it works slightly different over there, in that birth years stay together and can be moved up or down depending on ability I dont think moving them around is such a big issue over there.

Forgive me if I am wrong this is the impression I have got.

Kaye x

Guest thistles and gum trees

Hi Michele,

We are moving in 3 months and my boys will be 14 and a half and 8 and a half. My daughter will be nearly 13. There is never really a good time to move children but I do think they are very adaptable. Children (I think especially boys) make new friends wherever they go and I have heard that the British system is a little ahead of the Aussie - so that should help. My son will start year 10 here in September then go to Aus at the end of October moving back down into year 9 for 5 weeks till the hols. He will restart year 10 at the end of Jan, at the start of the school year. We will always worry and want to do what is best for our kids - sometimes its the right thing and sometimes not. As long as we know in our heart that we are doing what we and they feel is right then I'm sure thats the best we can do. You think you have problems.... my daughter has just decided she doesn't want to go back to her school for the 7 weeks before we leave and therefore I have agreed to homeschool her till we get to Aus!!!!!!!!! Now that is worrying!!!

Hope all goes well. Post me if you want to chat. Blessings, Sarah.

Hiya,

My two were 7 and 11 (Alexandra is 12 now), they've settled in really quickly, not struggled and loved Aus. Luckily for us Year 7 for Alex is the last year at Primary here so even though she'd started High School in UK she's gone back to Primary (but in the same year group if that makes sense).

Ali

Hiya my kids are abit younger being 3 and 8 but have adapted to life really well,my eldest has just brought home his best school report ever,and seems to really enjoy the new way of life.Schools are different and took him a couple of week to settle and adjust,at first the currency confused him in maths and the cursive writing in english but nows its just part of the daily grind to him!!!We worry more than our kids ,im sure,they will settle anywere as long as mum n dad are there to back em up !!!hope this helps a little and wishing all your dreams come true,,,

Cal x

Guest mandy1

A parents lot in life is to feel guilty! We are hoping to go to Oz in November & we've 2 kids ages 8 & 12. I fully accept that its an upheavel for them but I am really hoping and expectinog that after a new weeks they'll settle down and make new friends. I think you have to think 'long-term' and think that in the end the kids are going to be better off, even if it is hard at first.

Mandy x

Guest michele'n'michael

Ah y'know you lot are great!! I've never met any of you but you're all like pals & maybe one day I may actually get to meet some of you in person!!I feel much more confident about what we're doing now!!

Chellem s idea on e mailing an Oz school is a good idea Thanx ( cangrats & good luck with the bump!!):cute:

Michelexxx:notworthy:

Hi guys, we too had the same response. Our youngest Elliot 5 went outside and started to knock down the For Sale sign. If it helps he has got used to it now and dare l said quite getting used to the idea of moving!!!! Keep your chin up! We too are playing the waiting game. Lynsey and Roof Man (Smith Tribe)

Hi Michele.

Yes it was the same for us as well. Hayleigh would cover her eyes whenever she was outside the house, or we were coming home from somewhere, just so she didn't have to look at the sign. She's okay with it now and, sometimes, she'll just come out with something positive about our plans, like she's looking forward to doing lots of swimming or biking. Then she'll realise what she's said and try to back down and say she's not excited. I think she's a bit scared - but then so am i lol!!! :yes: so i can't really fault her for that. Just keep thinking of the bigger picture. I just tell myself that a year (or whatever) from now and everything will be sorted).

Tracey x

Guest wee wen

Reassuring to hear some of the replies on this subject. We have warned our eight year old daughter for over a year that we wanted to go to Oz. She knew we had passed medicals & hubby & I never stop talking about it . However, she totally freaked when I told her on Monday that the for sale sign was going up this week. She cried hysterically for two hours solid. This is normally the happiest girl in the place & I feel really bad ! She was back to her normal happy self next day. The sign went up today & I crashed my car on way home from work. Dad hadn't mentioned sign so I told her if she had seen the front garden, she laughed & said 'what the for sale sign'. I told her to try not to get upset as I really can't take much more stress ( we've had recent bereavment, neighbour trouble & now my car all smashed just when I'll be selling it soon). However, she's really happy tonight & not in the least bit bothered... Kids (what did we worry about before we had them)

Guess I just wanted to say that I feel much better after logging in to POMS in OZ tonight!

:arghh::cry:

Hi Wee Wen, glad that things are settling down after a stressful week.

Jo - the word in our house is "sure" - if I ask the kids to do anything it's "sure" - don't know when they stopped saying ok or alright, Alex is particular sounds very australian when she's with her friends (who are all aussies). Like Gabz she had started high school in Uk but is in year 7 Primary here, she's actually glad that she can establish some friendships before starting high school.

Ali

Archived