Teaching Assistant Info Needed

Guest Beach Babe

Guest Beach Babe

Hi can anyone please help... I need some information on what qualifications are required in Oz to become a Teaching Assistant for the early years.

I am looking to study here for the next year until we leave but want to make sure I am covering what is needed in Oz ?? I would rather go in at school level if possible but am willing to go in at Nursery level if it's a must to get experience etc.

Thanks

Guest markone

Hi There,

Bad news , They don't use teachers assistants like they do in UK, my wife started the same course last year until she found this out.

A Teachers Assistant in Oz is Special needs......Totally differnt qualifications !

regards,

Mark

Integration aides need special qualifications in some states - usually a cert iii or cert iv. However, most teacher aides are unqualified and lowly paid short term contract jobs in high demand from mums who want school hours while their kids are at school. Here all you need is a first aid certificate and a clean police check.

Thanks Mark, back to the Kent Adult Education Website to see what else I could try my hand at !!!!!

Hi Beach Babe,

I thought of doing the same like you. Before I move to Australia, thought if I could take up a course because I wanted to work in a child care or kindergarten. Also I do not have a qualification that Australia would recognised. So here I found out some info on my own.

Working in a child care, we need to have at least Certificate III in Children's Services. Next is Diploma in CHildren's Services. Lastly you may proceed to Bachelor in Early Childhood which most kindergarten requires that. Also the good thing about Diploma course is it is under government funded course. So meaning we don't have to fully pay for the course ourselves (up to a certain amount $2140 if Im not wrong).

I am trying to see if I could study online for the certificate level before I move to Australia, so at least I can save up my time and can find a job right away when I move. All I need is to complete the remaining 100 hours for work placement (You won't get pay when you are in placement) in order to be awarded the Certificate III. Others pending like First Aid, Children Check which is compulsory prior to work, including work placement.

There are a few college or Tafe schools that offers EXTERNAL course (which I think would be the online study) but so far I never get an email to verify that. So probably would call them to inquire. There is one on TAFE courses | University courses | IT courses | Online courses through SEEK Learning Australia that offers online study, but not sure whether this is a genuine place to enrol. Hope someone can share with me.

Lastly, think again. For Certificate III holder the pay wasnt that high which is about 30-38k annually which is about the same if you work as a reception with no qualification. So I am still thinking here whether to move to this sector and just look for a job with no qualifications required.

That is all I found out. If you do have any further details, kindly please share with me.

Cheers,

Ozwonderful

Archived