Help - shipping companies - which one to use???

Guest DaveBecs

Guest man2010

we're going with Pickfords.had quotes from Doree Bonner,John Mason and Pickfords. Pickfords were the cheapest and so far offering very good customer relationship. Hope they deliver.

shylet.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We went with John Mason and were very pleased with their pleasant service, speed and packing expertise. The representative was able to attend our house in UK the very day we called and he was very helpful and knowledgeable about Australian quarantine (AQIS) etc.

We already had a quote from Anglo Pacific and their rep told us that some of our items were almost certain to come to the attention of AQIS so we had them on an "optional" list. As it turned out they got through AQIS without problems so this advice turned out to be wrong although to be fair it was an expression of opinion only.

We also found that the quote from John Mason was better than Anglo Pacific since they were able to offer us a container of our own for the same price as Anglo Pacific were offering a shared container - a distinct advantage because the departure date could be guaranteed.

One thing to consider also with the shipping companies is which shipping company in Australia they use to complete the shipping. This is probably more important than at the UK end, since the Australian company needs to be efficient in ensuring contact with you in Australia, and keeping you informed. They need to organise the AQIS inspection and any required payments, and then deliver and unpack the contents of the container at your accommodation, or into storage if required. John Mason use Wridgways in Brisbane and we found them to be as excellent as John Mason themselves. The staff at their office were wonderful and the delivery guys loaded our stuff tirelessly and in good spirit. They were strong: they could lift our 12 setting dishwasher on one finger!

Two weeks after our container arrived our house was flooded, which was a bit of bad timing, but as the Ozzies say: "these things happen". Luckily in the end the flood was not quite as bad as expected, otherwise we would have lost all our contents.

• 2 weeks later...

My information is a little out of date as our goods arrived in Australia from the UK at the end of 2009

The company we used gets regular mentions on Poms In Oz.

Unfortunately our experience was not good in fact I would call it poor.

There was some confusion about when our goods would arrive.

When our goods arrived we found one carton missing, never seen again. Still waiting on further advice from them about this however they did eventually pay out on the missing carton and all the other goods ( a significant number from different cartons) that were damaged.

This company who I will not name here but will advise anyone interested by PM uses subcontractors at the Australian end.

We have subsequently moved interstate in Australia but certainly did not even consider them.

Guest denandian

So have you decided? we need to book today / tomorrow, shipping everything out week beg 7th feb (fingers crossed)

i got a good feeling about crown, but hubby like PSS????

company paying so cost not major prob, however, wouldn't want them to be out of pock for no reason

Guest DaveBecs

Well, we are pleased to say that all our furniture was delivered on friday and the only breakage was a plant pot, so we were really pleased. We went with Doree Bonner uk side and they used Grace Oz side and I cant find fault with the packers or the unloaders, however the aftercare could have been better. The office staff dont like to return your calls or keep you updated, but we are pleased to have finally got our rental and its already feeling like home!!!

Good luck to everyone else

Guest denandian

Cool glad to here all went well.

we booked doree bonner to sart packing us up on the 7th Feb. anything you should have done and didnt before they arrived or any probs with customs????

Just got our four quotes through for a full 20ft container to Melbourne....they range between £4,800 & £3,985.

Am now going to start negotiations on price. I've got two that I prefer but am hoping there's some decent movement on the prices!

:yes:

Guest denandian

our was just under 6k for 40ft container, the had reduces a little, but did get up to 8wks free storeage in oz if need it & $200 put in to our account when we open with a certain bank, so could work out to be best part of £1000 discount,

Also was offered somthing by another company called KINSURE (insurance to pay for flights home in emergency's) really good check it out well worth it

http://www.kinsure.co.uk

Guest DaveBecs
Cool glad to here all went well.

we booked doree bonner to sart packing us up on the 7th Feb. anything you should have done and didnt before they arrived or any probs with customs????

The only thing I would mention is check your christmas decorations twice and dont let the packers pack your dream catcher!! It only cost us $44 dollars to get them destroyed, but thought I had been so careful.

Guest denandian

Good call, my son has one in his bedroom. The movers are in the house as i type packing up the rooms. Will the Aussies go though every little box?

Guest DaveBecs

They only went through about 5 boxes, dont know how they choose which ones to go through, they just undid them, marked a big Q on the side and stated passed quarantine inspection. Good luck with the packers!!

Hi guys...

Just getting final quotes and some are raising the issue of "freight charges having gone up considerably" but they all seem to be putting different dates on when these charges will come into force??

Anybody else getting this...?

I've just agreed to use Crown for our move in a few months time and I've asked them to confirm that the price quoted is inclusive of all imminent freight price increases. I asked them on Thursday to confirm asap, but haven't heard yet. I'll let you know what they say.

I've just agreed to use Crown for our move in a few months time and I've asked them to confirm that the price quoted is inclusive of all imminent freight price increases. I asked them on Thursday to confirm asap, but haven't heard yet. I'll let you know what they say.

Funny you mention Crown. They gave us a quote in November and I haven't been able to finalise anything until now so went back to them all and asked them to provide their best and final quote (we have 2 x 40ft containers and a 20 ft container going so was expecting a good price).

I was staggered when they actually increased their intial quote by around £1000...! To say I was staggered was an understatement....! :wideeyed:

They were already the dearest by a looooooong way so they mustn't need the business....!!

Crown are off the list......!

We used John masons. Brilliant from start to finish including the wridgeways guys they used here .bit if delay sending as we had shared container , then extra week at sea and then delivery delayed an extra ten days because of floods . They were also 600 pounds cheaper than the nearest quote . 4 or 5 boxes checked , a bike and some work kit but all passed and no extras . Thoroughly recommend them.

We used John masons. Brilliant from start to finish including the wridgeways guys they used here .bit if delay sending as we had shared container , then extra week at sea and then delivery delayed an extra ten days because of floods . They were also 600 pounds cheaper than the nearest quote . 4 or 5 boxes checked , a bike and some work kit but all passed and no extras . Thoroughly recommend them.

Glad to hear that as the two companies still in the running are John Masons and Anglo Pacific!! Hope to hear on Monday or Tuesday. Will be glad to finally get a date in the diary!!

:swoon:

Glad to hear that as the two companies still in the running are John Masons and Anglo Pacific!! Hope to hear on Monday or Tuesday. Will be glad to finally get a date in the diary!!

:swoon:

I quite liked the guy from Anglo pacific , he said any price cheaper and they'd negotiate down to match but when I rang him I'd get no answer just an email from his office couple of days later . Then they wanted printed volume and quotes from masons so we just went with masons as it had been dragging in for two weeks . The wridgeways guys even put beds together , sideboard and dining room table which wasn't included in price .

We got quotes from Anglo, Crown, Dorree Bonner, PSS and Pickfords.

Crown were the cheapest, closely followed by Pickfords and the rest were between £300 and £700 dearer.

We've been quotes £4,509 from Scotland to Brisbane, including AQIS, for a 20' sole use container.

In case we end going to Hervey Bay (180 miles from Brissie), we got a quote for that as well, which after a lot of haggling came in at £4,828, again including AQIS and for a sole use.

Guest denandian

we went with Dorree, but haggled first, didnt go down in price as they were the cheapest and said wouldnt apply thi increase for 2011, but did get 8wks storage free, & $200.00 in new bank account, and discount off insurance, best part of $1500 worth of freebies.

Guys were great and advised whilst packing of potential problem items.

Has anybody ever just had the container dropped infront of the house and loaded/packed it themselves? Would this be cheaper or could it incur more hassle on the other side? I had friends who did that, but had not heard from them about this since they arrived in Aus.:err:

Guest GeorgeD

I went with Anglo Pacific in the end as they were the only ones who would negotiate the price! They also had a shared container leaving when I was and they had enough room for my 100 cu ft of boxes. They did a great job of packing a bone china tea set, as well as a load of more mundane bits like clothes.

Delivery in Australia was by Conroy Removals from Caboolture. They are very good too. They also stored my goods for 3-4 weeks for me at $20 per week as we were just about to move house (again!). My boxes were in their store when the floods hit South East Queensland, and whilst our building in Brisbane was flooded and their town was cut off by flood water, nothing actually got into their storage yard, so everything was safe. They arrived exactly when they said they would and delivered and unpacked the fragile goods quickly and professionally.

Guest The Joker

I went with Anglo Pacific too. They were great. The guys in the UK who packed our stuff were Aussies - not sure if that was significant but absolutely nothing got damaged - not even a dented cardbard box. We didn't have a full container so shared one but that wasn't an issue. When the stuff arrived 8 weeks later here in Oz they off-loaded the stuff from the van and checked the big things. They left us to unpack the boxes ourselves - it was very exciting for the kids to be reunited with their stuff. Other poms down the road from us used another firm and had lots of broken stuff. Other friends who moved to Sydney and used that same other firm also has significant damage to their stuff (combine a pointy axe tool with a make of car from old Henry and you'll work out which other firm that was).

Hi guys...

Just getting final quotes and some are raising the issue of "freight charges having gone up considerably" but they all seem to be putting different dates on when these charges will come into force??

Anybody else getting this...?

I've now been told to expect an additional £120 on the bill although they don't know exactly how much it will be as they can't book that far in advance (2 June shipping date)!:skeptical:

Original quote was £4,509 to Brisbane for a sole use 20' or £4,828 to Hervey Bay if we end going there. Both including AQIS.

Can't be bothered arguing about price increase as it's been a slog getting this far, so we're going with Crown and that's that! Fingers crossed all goes well.

Archived