Help - shipping companies - which one to use???

Guest DaveBecs

Guest DaveBecs

Hi

We have had quotes from Crown, White & Co, Dorrer Bonner, PSS & Anglo Pacific. Crown & White and co are coming out at the most expensive.

What experience has everyone else had with Dorrer Bonner, Anglo and PSS, We need to make a decision in the next few days, as stuff is being shipped out 2 months before we leave. We have already got reduced quotes and it looks like its between these three

We are really struggling to choose. :arghh:

Thanks

Becs

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We personally have used Crown twice and they were great, no theyre not the cheapest (but can always be kncoked down on price) but when its your wordly possesions that theyre in charge of cost isnt always the most important.

If you have a read through other shipping threads you should be able to tell the companys who get very few bad reports.

Cal x

Guest guest33730
Hi

We have had quotes from Crown, White & Co, Dorrer Bonner, PSS & Anglo Pacific. Crown & White and co are coming out at the most expensive.

What experience has everyone else had with Dorrer Bonner, Anglo and PSS, We need to make a decision in the next few days, as stuff is being shipped out 2 months before we leave. We have already got reduced quotes and it looks like its between these three

Thanks

Becs

Don't forget that Crowns quote is the only one that includes the AQIS fees and ALL of them will negotiate. Go with the one you want and then get them to price match (or at least get as close as possible.

Crown started off as the most expensive but came down by over £300 when I told them that it was only the price that was stopping me going with them! I'm very glad I did as they really were superb!

Daniel

Guest DaveBecs

The only concern I would have with crown, is that they were one of the first companies to come round, but we have had tp chase them 4 times to get our quote. It doesnt give me much faith in them, if they cant even get a quote to us?

Hello there. I had to move my sons belongings to australia a couple of months ago, and was faced with the same dilemma. I used doree bonner and they were terrific. They always came back quickly on queries, were very efficient and very fast. I would recommend them to everyone. They also kep't me in touch with what was going on once the contents left the uk. Hope this helps.

We had several quotes and went with Pickfords in the end as they were willing to negotiate on price, and the office seemed efficient and competent. So far, no complaints. Just had confirmation from them that our stuff is on a ship and on it's way. The packers were polite, professional and scarily efficient. Incidentally I chose not to use Crown because their office staff seemed hopeless. Couldn't get a quote out to me without chasing, had my e mail address wrong, and only gave me a quote for shipping, not shipping and storage as I'd asked. They just didn't fill me with confidence!

Hi

Thanks

Becs

We have Pickfords, Anglo-Pacific, Doree Bonner and Crown coming in over the next fortnight to give us quotes. Will keep you posted.

We used Fox International, they were brill the UK end and just as good this end. Everything arrived when they said it would, not one thing was damaged..broke..lost. They were really good and for us was the cheapest out of the 5 we rang for quotes.

Guest TheHollies

We are using 1 of the companies regularly mentioned after reading good reviews on here. However, we are quickly losing faith in them and our belongings havnt even left the uk yet :arghh:. We changed our quote 4 times in total which im sure others have had to and the quote has been totally cocked up due to staffs incapabilities to do their job

properly. Beware of extra charges once collection has taken place. Think new tape measures are needed at their office. :twitcy:

We are using 1 of the companies regularly mentioned after reading good reviews on here. However, we are quickly losing faith in them and our belongings havnt even left the uk yet :arghh:. We changed our quote 4 times in total which im sure others have had to and the quote has been totally cocked up due to staffs incapabilities to do their job

properly. Beware of extra charges once collection has taken place. Think new tape measures are needed at their office. :twitcy:

This was the other reason we went with Pickfords, as the sales guy was the only one who came round with a tape measure! He estimated pretty accurately the amount of cubic feet we would need- the others were some way under in their estimates, and I've been stung that way before!

Guest DaveBecs

Well we went with Doree Bonner in the end, as we managed to get them down quite a bit on the price and they would do the dates we wanted. Really like the sales guy too. Crown did come down a bit in price, but the sales guy went on holiday before we could get the final price and we couldnt wait another 2 weeks. So fingers crossed, shippers are coming on the 16th September!!!! Feels like its really happening now. :jiggy:

Guest gail6336

Hi we are getting ready for packers it is being done through my boyfriends company, do you know with furniture do they flat pack or put things in as they are i.e built up, what about items that I have already packed into plastic storage boxes will they put them into other boxes or take as they are??

Guest Kid Kutz

Just going through the process of choosing a shipper, any chance you could post or private message the company you mention

Guest guest36187

I would ask that you do not post the name. Naming and shaming is not permitted on the forum. Please feel free to send it by PM

Guest TheHollies
Just going through the process of choosing a shipper, any chance you could post or private message the company you mention

Have pm'd you

Hi we are getting ready for packers it is being done through my boyfriends company, do you know with furniture do they flat pack or put things in as they are i.e built up, what about items that I have already packed into plastic storage boxes will they put them into other boxes or take as they are??

They probably won't flat pack unless you have asked them to (likely to incur additional cost). They should box everything - otherwise it looks like the owner has self-packed which then attracts more attention at quarantine. That is my limited experience. Cheers.

Guest sibo04

We used Anglo Pacific which turned out to be OSS at the sydney end, was cheapest quote we had, little slow on delivery. We only had 5 boxes though (which ended up nicely mangled by Australian customs)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest gail6336

What happens when the shippers come in do they just pack everything they see, do you have to guide them, what do you do with the stuff you want to pack in your case do you have to pack it away from them, also what happens to the stuff ive already packed into plastic storage boxes i must have 30 of them packed with xmas stuff clothes etc!!! Will they pack them again or just pop the storage box in a cardboard box, what about when it gets to aus do they unpack everything at customs and go through it seems alot of people going through my stuff, i have alot of stuff i cant see them wanting to see my container it will take them days!!!

Guest DaveBecs

Hi Gail 6336

Basically the shippers turn up and pack everything. We just put the things we didnt wat them to take in the corner of our spare room. I have clothes packed in pastic under storage thingies, they just left the stuff inside them and packed them into their own boxes. There were a few ones that they re-packed, I suppose alots to do with how they pack them into the crates, as they have standard size boxes. Anyway the shippers were great, couldnt fault them

Guest Annette from the forest

I had to do an inventory of the stuff I packed myself and give it to the packers. They will pack everything you direct them to so if there's stuff you aren't taking move it out of the way.

Customs don't go through everything . I had 38 boxes and very little of it seemed to have been looked at.

Archived