Help - shipping companies - which one to use???

Guest DaveBecs

I moved from London to Sydney in June 2011 and used Global Moving Systems which are based in East Sussex. I don't know how useful this will be if you're in the North or further afield however.

I couldn't recommend them highly enough, I had 40 or more wine glasses in amongst many other breakables, and not a single item arrived damaged. There are many friends who have made the move and not been as fortunate. The team they sent were very friendly and very quick too, although the later I was slightly concerned about until the shipment arrived.

They used Wridgways on arrival in Oz and the same can be said about them here. Good luck with the move.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mandi1971

We are using Anglo, we are packing and loading a 20ft container our selves and having door to door service with them unloading in Perth. We were quoted £2600, massive saving and we have done this twice before and never had trouble with customs as long as you stick to the rules and regs. You can save quite a bit by doing some of the work yourself, im making use of 2 strapping lads :wink:

Mandi x

We are using Anglo, we are packing and loading a 20ft container our selves and having door to door service with them unloading in Perth. We were quoted £2600, massive saving and we have done this twice before and never had trouble with customs as long as you stick to the rules and regs. You can save quite a bit by doing some of the work yourself, im making use of 2 strapping lads :wink:

Mandi x

Hi Mandi,

Could you please point me in the right direction for all the rules and regulations?

I would like to do more myself, but I do not want to get stung at customs.

Many thanks

Sarah :smile:

We are using 1 of the companies regularly mentioned after reading good reviews on here. However, we are quickly losing faith in them and our belongings havnt even left the uk yet :arghh:. We changed our quote 4 times in total which im sure others have had to and the quote has been totally cocked up due to staffs incapabilities to do their job

properly. Beware of extra charges once collection has taken place. Think new tape measures are needed at their office. :twitcy:

please pm me the company so we can avoid many thanks.

• 2 months later...
Guest krisp235

dont go with doree bonner very bad aftercare service still claiming for a smashed tv unit a missing box months after........ look into good after its very important

Hi

We have had quotes from Crown, White & Co, Dorrer Bonner, PSS & Anglo Pacific. Crown & White and co are coming out at the most expensive.

What experience has everyone else had with Dorrer Bonner, Anglo and PSS, We need to make a decision in the next few days, as stuff is being shipped out 2 months before we leave. We have already got reduced quotes and it looks like its between these three

We are really struggling to choose. :arghh:

Thanks

Becs

im in the same boat as Krisp235, my stuff took ages, and was badly damaged, 5 months later im still chasing for my insurnace claim, so dont take their insurnace they suggest thats for sure. Grace who they use in aus were awesome though, ill use them again :)

We used Crown from Scotland to Brisbane. Similar price to the others but we bartered till they were a few hundred cheaper.

Admin staff were quite poor and shipping was delayed, despite being a sole use container, but the workers in both Scotland and Oz have been excellent (we've subsequently used the Oz guys again).

Only a couple if cheap glass bowls broken and otherwise spot on. We didn't use their insurance (got it 1/2 price online) and havent claimed anyway. Overall very happy :)

Guest The Joker

As mentioned before, I used Anglo Pacifc and had no complaints whatsoever. Not sure on the quality of their insurance as I didn't have to claim for anything missing or damaged. Our stuff took slightly longer than planned to arrive as it was held up at customs - our fault not Anglo Pacific - who would have thought a $500 John Lewis Christmas Tree had real pine cones on it? I thought they were artificial. Turns out they were real and we had to pay customs to hand-remove and destroy each and every pine cone before we could get any of our stuff delivered. Hey ho - you live and learn - added another $350 to the cost of the tree. Would have thrown the bloody thing out and bought a new $100 cheapy one when we got here if I had known. Still - 9 Christmases on and we still have the tree (almost) as good as new.

We are close to choosing our shipper if our house contracts ever get exchanged.

For a very full sole use 20ft container (we need to have a few maybe items that could be surplus) Colchester to Brisbane+30 miles, we ended up with:

John Mason £4,000 + insurance + Oz fees

P.S.S. £4,032 + insurance + Oz fees

Anglo Pacific £4,140 + insurance + Oz fees

Crown £5,000 + insurance (including Aqus fee)

Anglo Pacific quoted last month, the rest in March but they have stuck to their quote (except Crown as I binned their quote).

All three who are left have kept up with our changing completion date, if we want extra storage in Brisbane P.S.S. are the cheapest and Anglo Pacific the dearest.

We plan to buy our own insurance unless they match Letton Percival or Insureyourmove.

Do not expect it to end up so close, for no other reason that possibly having the most recent votes of approval on this thread if John Mason can move us on the date we want they will get the nod.

Anyone remember this? From Alfresco last year.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ShaunGibbz/ShippingHouseholdStuffToAustralia#

Interesting that just a few months later we are being quoted £4465 for a sole use container by John Mason, considerably more than you were quoted... £4800 by Doree Bonner and £4320 by White & Co. Not impressed with White & Co, however, so won't be using them... just wondering now what it's worth trying to get the other two companies down to!

I've just shipped my Jaguar XF across to Sydney and was advised that you only pay for the container so anything that you can get in the container in addition to the car goes at no additional cost.

However, any additional items would be subject to all the usual customs declarations, requirements and searches and my understanding was that Australian Customs don't generally like people doing it as it makes their job more difficult. Consequently there may be additional costs associated with getting things cleaned.

For sake of ease I ended up shipping my care separately.

Archived