Dog walking while in quarantine

Guest dunkyboy

Guest dunkyboy

I remember seeing a post a while ago about a company who will go and visit your dog while it is in the quarantine station and will walk & groom it for you, I tried searching for the post but cant find it, does anyone know the company that does it ?

thanks in advance

Duncan:notworthy:

it's okay I have found it now, http://www.Dogwalks.com. au

Sorry to jump on your thread but it seems silly to post a new one with the same title!

For those who used dog walkers, how many times a week did they get excercised.

Sydney says a max of 2 half hour slots a week and perth only has 3 visiting days so i'm guessing that's a max of 3 half hour slots.

I can't help but feel that's not a routine and might not be good for mine (ie get all giddy and pleased to see someone to be stressed when re-kenneled and left again)

Also if you have 2 dogs sharing a kennel can you book double the slots, ie 1 hour so they each get a go out in the yard?

i really think we stress more than they do !

Oh I know. I'm not too worried about them not being exercised as they have each other to nut around the kennel with. They've been kenneled before and I know they cope, plus they've flown before so no worries there.

What I'm worrying most about is them not being let out anywhere to toilet :(

One of them will probably manage ok, but the other will get so stressed about having to toilet in a kennel and on concrete, he'll probably give himself an infection or something.

But there's not a lot I can do about that really.

Thanks I've emailed Karen and quarantine too.

I think I'll feel a lot better knowing a 2nd person is seeing them (asides quarantine staff) and seeing pics and hearing updates will help me loads, even if it doesn't help them.

I do pity the walker that visits though, that first call I'm going to struggle to not give him/her the psanish inquisition I think.

Guest aussie06

thanks for this feedback

Do you know if the quarantine people provide also some health care for dog; i.e. my dog needs daily eyedrops + its nose skinfold to be cleaned up. Is that more quarantine employees to provide it or the petwalker to do it?

thanks

Guest mandy1970

I would also like to know who administers medicine.

My dog has been really ill but is on the road to recovery. He is 9 and if he has a relapse will need a special diet and possibly medicine.

He is booked in to travel for 20 October and have'nt booked dog walking (yet!)

Guest Guest26012

Perth the station exercise the dogs ,public can go 1130 while 12 to see their dogs ,includes the money for old rope dog walking ,the dogs are exercised and in half an hour its not much to be walked around the field if you callit a field , talking to our vet this week with the new nitemare and he reckons introduces more people stresses the dogs more

Mally

Our dogs were in quarantine in Sydney, and the staff there gave me a list of registered dog walkers that they use, The lady we had was named Darleen, and i can highly recommend her, she walked them 3 times a week and sent via email photos, they also had a member of staff who looked after them daily, who played and interacted with them! Also the company that dealt with their transport asked if their was any special requirements that they needed as this needed to go on their form, regarding diet and any ongoing meds!

So worth checking with them first!

Dawn

Here is the section from AQIS on administering medication. It does say you would need to contact them BEFORE arranging import permits etc.

It sounds like, unless it is routine meds, they prefer not to take an ill or recoveringg dog into quarantine tbh.

Medicating animals whilst in quarantine

AQIS discourages, on welfare grounds, the importation of chronically ill animals.

Importers should take into account the age and condition of their animals as well as travel and climatic stress when deciding to send their animals to Australia.

If your animal has a history of any medical conditions or requires medication (e.g. diabetes or epilepsy), contact the relevant quarantine station to discuss this with an AQIS officer or veterinarian, prior to submitting an import permit application. The medical condition should also be specified at the time of submission of your import permit application.

If your animal is on any kind of prescription medication a letter from your animal's veterinarian must be submitted with your import permit application. This letter must outline the animal's medical history, the type of medication required and the dosage rate.

AQIS staff will administer medication to your animal.

AQIS does not supply medication.

Due to Australian legislative requirements and the potential quarantine risk associated with imported veterinary medication, any medication that arrives with your animal is unable to be released from the quarantine station. This medication will be destroyed following the release of your animal. This applies to all medications, even those that may be commercially available in Australia. As such, you should only send medication in a sufficient quantity as required to treat your animal during its stay in quarantine.

AQIS recommends that you check that your animal's current medication is available in Australia. If your animal's medication is not available in Australia, you may wish to consider changing its medication to an equivalent one that is available in Australia.

You should arrange for a private veterinarian in Australia to examine your animal either during the quarantine period or after the animal is released. Your veterinarian can then prescribe appropriate medication.

Medication can only be administered between the hours of 8.00 am to 4.30 pm—7 days a week. There is no medication administered outside these hours.

These are not the hours that the animal quarantine stations are open to the public.

Importers of animals that require the administration of therapeutics (e.g. diabetic or epileptic animals) outside the medication hours should discuss alternative treatment intervals with the animal's veterinarian prior to export.

If attendance is required after hours or in the case of an emergency, additional overtime charges will apply.

Perth the station exercise the dogs ,public can go 1130 while 12 to see their dogs ,includes the money for old rope dog walking ,the dogs are exercised and in half an hour its not much to be walked around the field if you callit a field , talking to our vet this week with the new nitemare and he reckons introduces more people stresses the dogs more

Mally, Perth station do not exercise the dogs at all, they remain in their kennel, I asked.

The only way they are exercised is if you pay a dog walker or visit yourself.

I think it depends on your dog if a visit stresses them tbh, undoubtedly most would be stressed by a visiting family member to'ing and fro'ing but I'm leaning towards thinking mine would be ok with a walker as that's what happens when they board at kennels usually.

The quarantine stations are incredibly busy and the staff do not have time to spend with each animal. As a result they tend to spend their time with the animals who have to be quarantined for longer (I think from some countries it can still be 6 months). They even tell you a good time to phone your pet's carer.

We were in Queensland so didn't have the option of going in to see Buddy ourselves. But even if we lived just down the road I would not have gone in. I think it would have stressed him (and us) out too much. It was better for a stranger to go in and make friends with him. He coped well, and we got regular photos and updates.

He survived.

Guest dunkyboy

I got in touch with Karen at dogwalks.com and now have our dog all booked up for walkies and grooming when she arrives in Perth :biggrin:

also got the great news yesterday that she has passed all her blood tests, I was a bit worried about the Lepto one but she was negative for everything :hug:

just 2 weeks to go now and the adventure begins !!!!

I got in touch with Karen at dogwalks.com and now have our dog all booked up for walkies and grooming when she arrives in Perth :biggrin:

also got the great news yesterday that she has passed all her blood tests, I was a bit worried about the Lepto one but she was negative for everything :hug:

just 2 weeks to go now and the adventure begins !!!!

Thats fantastic news!! :jiggy: x

Archived