TV shock

Guest famousfive

Guest famousfive

Here I am with the laptop typing away on another thread telling all and sundry I am lucky I don't suffer from homesickness [even though Aus is not for us and we go home next year].

I was feeling rather pleased with myself and glad of how we have all coped with our upheavel etc..

ABC news breakfast was on in the background and as it ended the first advert caught my attention.It was about a program to be aired next week,'Britannica',and it said they will be in Ireland for the next episode.I lift my head from the keyboard and the first scene I see is the beautiful cliffs of my home with the fort perched on top in all its glory.Right there on my TV I saw the view from my sisters house.I was not expecting it and it came as such a shock I nearly cried.My heart skipped a beat and I missed home so much and so suddenly.

It sounded like an interesting program but if I watch it now it may be my undoing.

Here I am with the laptop typing away on another thread telling all and sundry I am lucky I don't suffer from homesickness [even though Aus is not for us and we go home next year].

I was feeling rather pleased with myself and glad of how we have all coped with our upheavel etc..

ABC news breakfast was on in the background and as it ended the first advert caught my attention.It was about a program to be aired next week,'Britannica',and it said they will be in Ireland for the next episode.I lift my head from the keyboard and the first scene I see is the beautiful cliffs of my home with the fort perched on top in all its glory.Right there on my TV I saw the view from my sisters house.I was not expecting it and it came as such a shock I nearly cried.My heart skipped a beat and I missed home so much and so suddenly.

It sounded like an interesting program but if I watch it now it may be my undoing.

That feeling is more than natural famousfive, it's your home and to see if from far away will trigger memories. Although I wasn't born in the UK, I have lived there for periods of time, but now have been back here for many years, and yet when I see TV shows from the UK, I always say "I remember when I went there". I did this the other night when Kingdom was on TV. Even when I go to the movies I pick background scenes and try and work out where it is, I am a pain in the neck to watch The Bill with as I say "I know that pub used to drink there". After I lived for some time in the UK, one day I walked past some travel agents and saw a big poster of pictures of Australia, and in one nano second flash in my mind, I felt the pangs of home, and I went within 3 months. I just knew it was right. So, enjoy what you are feeling, and best of luck with the journey home:hug::jiggy:

Sending you a big hug:hug: I've said before that there is no way I would be able to watch anything about home were we not returning.

Do you have your flights booked..?

Big :hug: to you!

Its strange how certain things just jump out at you, we were sat watching the relocation show the other night, and this couple were looking at a home in Dorset, we couldn't believe what we were seeing, they only showed them strolling along bournemouth seafront! :arghh: Of all the places they could have shown in dorset! Our hometown, knowing we are on our way home in two weeks, we happily sat and watched though!!!

I lap it up and deliberately seek out UK programs. I do the "I've been there" bit too and quite frequently Cambridge is on and that is my home town - I just adore every minute. Doesnt make me homesick but does restore some of my sanity.

Guest famousfive
Sending you a big hug:hug: I've said before that there is no way I would be able to watch anything about home were we not returning.

Do you have your flights booked..?

Thanks guys,Have chirped up again and will probably set every alarm in the house to make sure I don't miss the show next week,lol.

Connie,no flights booked yet,looking at march but hubbie undecided,might go before xmas instead.I'm ok with either one,kids too,but he is getting itchy feet.Will see,no work until april so not sure yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm sure my watching programmes like Doc Martin, Location, Location, Location, Property Ladder, Grand Designs and even the Antiques Roadshow have contributed to the "undoing" of my stay in Australia...is it an Aussie conspiracy? :biggrin: We're hopefully Mid-2011. I spent my childhood in North Norfolk; would I already be home if I had watched the series Kingdom as well?? :wink:

No doubt we'll feel pangs of "homesickness" when we see shows about Melbourne and Victoria on our return.

Archived