Complaint to Ombudsman

Jeffster

Just curious who is really responsible for this screw up with IT profession? DIAC or minister?

I personally think that Minister sets his priority processing as he see fits, but then its up to DIAC to implement those directions in responsible manner. I am sure Chris Evans didn't tell DIAC to process post July IT grads before pre-July IT grads.

As common sense suggests, one option might be to give students the opportunity to bump into cat3 by lodging another PASA instead of PASA+ new applicatoin. Not to mention most students can't do that either as their 485 and/or 6 month since course completion is long gone.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just curious who is really responsible for this screw up with IT profession? DIAC or minister?

I personally think that Minister sets his priority processing as he see fits, but then its up to DIAC to implement those directions in responsible manner. I am sure Chris Evans didn't tell DIAC to process post July IT grads before pre-July IT grads.

I think it shows the poor administration of DIAC's ' one fit for all' type of policy dos not work

I would say

ACS + SKILLS AUSTRALIA and DIAC, all 3 are responsible for this IT grad mess!!

WHY

ACS- as te governing body for IT professionals should not in the first place given such a generic ASCO nomnation, it may have worked back then, but atleast when this changes occured they should come up with a proper transitional process for Pre July 2010 ICT- Recent graduate's (like CPA Ausralia)

SKILLS AUSTRALIA - poor communication with ACS

DIAC - bunch of loosers NO proper COMMUNICATION at all with the above 2 parties!

so, in essence the too many cooks has spoiled our soup!!!

CAT (4), 885 applied 2008 AUG, ICT - Recent graduate NEC, IELTS 8.0, NAATI qualified, Currently employed as a ICT Project Officer

I am planning to send the letter at the end of the week. If you want to add your name to it please PM (or post here) your:

- Name

- TRN number

- Current waiting time in years & months (eg. 1 year 9 months)

- Expected waiting time (eg. application in Dec 2008 and "not expected to be finalised before end of 2012" is 4 years)

Thanks

I am planning to send the letter at the end of the week. If you want to add your name to it please PM (or post here) your:

- Name

- TRN number

- Expected waiting time (eg. application in Dec 2008 and "not expected to be finalised before end of 2012" is 4 years)

Thanks

NAme -

Applied paper based --

Current waiting time - 3 years on 30 August 2010.

Expected waiting time - May be infinity...(Do not know)

Hi Jeffser

You could also point out that Onshore applicants have no travel rights and have to pay every time they leave the country. With visas now taking many years, it is very unjust for this restriction to be on the visa class.

Thanks

Esther

Hi Jeffser

You could also point out that Onshore applicants have no travel rights and have to pay every time they leave the country. With visas now taking many years, it is very unjust for this restriction to be on the visa class.

Thanks

Esther

Yes, shouldn't have forgotten about that, particularly as I will soon be a victim to it!

Anyone know how much it is and what do you exactly have to provide to DIAC?

Do you have to pay every time you leave? How many times can you leave in one year?

Guest chajath

- Name

- TRN number

Thanks

- Name:

- TRN number:

1 year and 7 months

Indefinite

- Name

- TRN number

Thanks

-

- CAT 4 - Indefinite processing time

CAT (4), 885 applied 2008 AUG, ICT - Recent graduate NEC, IELTS 8.0, NAATI qualified, Currently employed as a ICT Project Officer

Guest proud2beaussie

Guys I have edited the last few posts because you have included private details and file numbers on open forums which is discouraged on PIO privacy grounds,if you wish to have your details added to Jeffsters letter I suggest that you send your details to him via PM or email-please don't post them on open forums.

Regards

Nigel

Guys I have edited the last few posts because you have included private details and file numbers on open forums which is discouraged on PIO privacy grounds,if you wish to have your details added to Jeffsters letter I suggest that you send your details to him via PM or email-please don't post them on open forums.

Regards

Nigel

Well,

I appreciate u did this. Because I was going to do this. But dear I think it does not matter anything to my case. Because there is already waiting of around 3 years to my case.

Yes, shouldn't have forgotten about that, particularly as I will soon be a victim to it!

Anyone know how much it is and what do you exactly have to provide to DIAC?

Do you have to pay every time you leave? How many times can you leave in one year?

Bridging visa B is $95 and is valid for 3 months.

Requirements for grant of the Bridging visa B

The requirements to be satisfied in order to be granted a

Bridging visa B include that:

• you must be the holder of a bridging visa A or B;

• you must have substantial reasons for wishing to leave and

re-enter Australia; and

• your return to Australia would not be contrary to the public

This is all ok if the visa times were 6 months as originally advised but we have been on this visa for 19 months now and still no end in sight.

We want to go home to the UK in June to see family so hope these reasons are substantial enough!

Bridging visa B is $95 and is valid for 3 months.

Requirements for grant of the Bridging visa B

The requirements to be satisfied in order to be granted a

Bridging visa B include that:

• you must be the holder of a bridging visa A or B;

• you must have substantial reasons for wishing to leave and

re-enter Australia; and

• your return to Australia would not be contrary to the public

This is all ok if the visa times were 6 months as originally advised but we have been on this visa for 19 months now and still no end in sight.

We want to go home to the UK in June to see family so hope these reasons are substantial enough!

Thanks Sambo,

I have added the following paragraph to the letter:

"

For Onshore applicants who wish to return home to visit family there is also the burden and cost of applying for Bridging Visa B which allows applicants to leave the country for a period of 3 months. At a cost of $95 and the required evidence of the reasons for leaving the country (e.g. personal issues such as a family illness) any applicant who needs to return home must pay these costs. With waiting times of up to five years an Onshore applicant who leaves Australia once a year would have to pay nearly $500 and give evidence of the need to return home. This additional red tape and the associated costs are completely unfair on applicants held in the pipeline and causes applicants to feel as if they are imprisoned on Australian shores."

And the following recommendation:

"

· Applicants held in the pipeline for more than 6 months to be exempt from Bridging Visa B charges and restrictions"

Can people please PM me their details if you want to support the complaint, I only have a handful of signatures so far and would like to have 100+, I intend to collate all the details over this weekend and send Monday 16th.

Thanks.

Guest proud2beaussie

Good luck with your complaint Jeffster,I really hope you get somewhere.

Have you thought about sending it to all candidates for both the house of representatives and the senate?

Remember that Senator Evans is up for re-election this year,I think that people who want to help run the country would be very interested to hear about how people who could one day be voters themselves are being treated by the current government and DIAC.

Full candidates listings are on the electoral commission website:-

Who are the candidates? 2010 federal election

Good Luck

Cheers

Nigel

Guest Mongobear

Hi Jeffster,

one more thing we should consider to amend. On page 2 - topic "Transfers" you wrote:

DIAC has been encouraging applicants stuck in the processing pipeline to seek ENS or

State sponsorship yet requires that a new application is lodged and VAC paid:

“Applicants with a nominated occupation that is not on the SOL – Schedule 3 in effect at

1 July 2010 can only move into a higher priority group by lodging a new application with

an employer sponsorship or a state or territory government nomination in an occupation

specified under a state migration plan. Alternatively, applicants can only nominate a

different occupation that is on the SOL – Schedule 3 by lodging a new application. It is

not possible to change a nominated occupation or to change to an employer sponsored

or state nominated visa category, unless a new application is lodged. A new application

would require the payment of a new Visa Application Charge.”

A guy from a German forum (thanks, Hannes) advised me of a DIAC-Booklet giving details about the possibility to switch to ENS/RSMS for free for certain visa-subclasses including 175/176/885/886 and many others.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1131.pdf (page 8 - "Fee-free visa application").

Fee-free visa application

You may be eligible to make a fee-free application for an ENS or RSMS visa if an

employer has lodged an employer nomination specifying you as the nominee and you

have a valid application for one of the following General Skilled Migration visas:

The passage you've quoted and the infos given in the booklet are quite contrary although both are from the DIAC. However, I'm afraid the DIAC could use the information in the booklet to challenge the argument in the complaint. I don't know which information is right but maybe one of our RMAs has more infos about this.

Thanks

Uli

Guest psharma
Thanks Sambo,

I have added the following paragraph to the letter:

"

For Onshore applicants who wish to return home to visit family there is also the burden and cost of applying for Bridging Visa B which allows applicants to leave the country for a period of 3 months. At a cost of $95 and the required evidence of the reasons for leaving the country (e.g. personal issues such as a family illness) any applicant who needs to return home must pay these costs. With waiting times of up to five years an Onshore applicant who leaves Australia once a year would have to pay nearly $500 and give evidence of the need to return home. This additional red tape and the associated costs are completely unfair on applicants held in the pipeline and causes applicants to feel as if they are imprisoned on Australian shores."

And the following recommendation:

"

· Applicants held in the pipeline for more than 6 months to be exempt from Bridging Visa B charges and restrictions"

Can people please PM me their details if you want to support the complaint, I only have a handful of signatures so far and would like to have 100+, I intend to collate all the details over this weekend and send Monday 16th.

Thanks.

Hi Jeffster,

As you have already amended the draft letter and mentioned the issues with applicant being on the bridging visa longer than 6 months. Could we also mention about the applicants who are married and they wish to bring their partner while waiting on bridging visa.

Currently there is only tourist visa option for him(Husband or wife) to visit their partner. Which is very costly and very frustrating as they they don't issue tourist visa for more than 3 months. And has to return at the end of tourist visa

This is very unfair for married couples being away from each other due to stupid immigration policies. Could we please include this as well?

Thanks

PSharma

Guest zzzsianzzz
Hi Jeffster,

one more thing we should consider to amend. On page 2 - topic "Transfers" you wrote:

A guy from a German forum (thanks, Hannes) advised me of a DIAC-Booklet giving details about the possibility to switch to ENS/RSMS for free for certain visa-subclasses including 175/176/885/886 and many others.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1131.pdf (page 8 - "Fee-free visa application").

The passage you've quoted and the infos given in the booklet are quite contrary although both are from the DIAC. However, I'm afraid the DIAC could use the information in the booklet to challenge the argument in the complaint. I don't know which information is right but maybe one of our RMAs has more infos about this.

Thanks

Uli

I came across this as well, but there's a condition of maybe possible for the fee-free switch. However, should anything goes wrong with the employment with your current employer,will the applicant be out of Australia and the application be classified as "invalid"?

Guest zzzsianzzz

:SLEEP:

Well,

I appreciate u did this. Because I was going to do this. But dear I think it does not matter anything to my case. Because there is already waiting of around 3 years to my case.

I think you should join the party. Doesnt make anything worst, and the possibility of waiting further is up ahead.

Personally I wouldnt wait for "10 years" to be confined here. I would prefer to spend my annual leave somewhere where I want to be.

Guest Mongobear
I came across this as well, but there's a condition of maybe possible for the fee-free switch. However, should anything goes wrong with the employment with your current employer,will the applicant be out of Australia and the application be classified as "invalid"?

I think "may be eligible" relates to the fact that you have to meet the general criteria of a ENS-visa to be eligible to switch.

Guest zzzsianzzz
I think "may be eligible" relates to the fact that you have to meet the general criteria of a ENS-visa to be eligible to switch.

IMPORTANT

A bridging visa is not a substantive or qualifying visa. You should apply for an

offshore ENS, RSMS or LA visa if you have held a bridging visa for more than

28 days prior to preparing this visa application.

I've held my bridging visa for more than 28 days.. wth~ its only meant for new applicants?

It implies that you should be able to find a job within 28 days and the employer will sponsor u? I'm not sure if they tried it themselves, the person that set these rules seem to be on the illogical side of the world or maybe left their brain at home..

Guest jupiter123

- Name : Username : jupiter123

- TRN number : Online based on May'2008

- Current waiting time in years & months (eg. 1 year 9 months) : 2 years 3 month

- Expected waiting time (eg. application in Dec 2008 and "not expected to be finalised before end of 2012" is 4 years) : Indefinte

We ( Myself and my wife ) have been contacted by the CO recently on July 09,2010 to get our medicals and PCC redone since previous one expired.We were on Cat 5 prior to July 14,2010 and then lately after we have sent our medicals and PCC for the second time,came to know that the priority list have changed again and now its indefinite sine we are in Cat 4 ( last cetegory now ).Cant understand why were we then asked to get our medicals and PCC redone when they knew that new priority list would be pubshed again within another 5 days after we were contacted by the new CO.None the less to state that the dreams that was nearing for the second time is shattered again by such calous decision of immigration dept.

Only keeping our fingers crossed if our profession is included in SMP.................................................................................

- Name: 2bOZ - Manal

- TRN number: XXXXXXXX almost 2 years have been received from the agent, I have to ask them!

- Current waiting time in years & months: 1 year and 11 months

- Expected waiting time (application in Sep. 2008 and "not expected to be finalised before end of 2012" is 4 years)

Either at the end of 2012 or In the next life!!!

Great stuff!

Maybe people can tune the letter to their own circumstances and alssend a copy to the Shadow Minister for Immigration (in Opposition)

Mr Scott Morrison (scott.morrison.mp@aph.gov.au).

Maybe head it up as "Gross Mismanagement of the Immigration System" - the Opposition have an election theme attcking Labor's mismanagement of various programs/

I think youll find Big ears wants immigration cut to the minimum

Guest Gollywobbler
I think youll find Big ears wants immigration cut to the minimum

Hi Mally

I might be cynical, but.....

The pollies know perfectly well that continuation of the skilled immiigration orogram is important to Australia's future prosperity.

The pollies have broken the promises they made to the people seeking to migrate to Australia. Once the Election is safely out of the way, I reckon that the pollies will proceed to break the promises that they are making to the Australian voters at the moment.

Cheers

Gill

Archived