Complaint to Ombudsman

Jeffster

Sorry this has taken a while, I have been on hols all week in Sydney following my football team and thought I would have more time than I actually did!

Attached below is the draft, it's in 2 parts as it is too big to upload as one file. It still needs some work so questions, comments, suggestions are welcome.

I will start looking for online petition sites now so we can gather signatures.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry this has taken a while, I have been on hols all week in Sydney following my football team and thought I would have more time than I actually did!

Attached below is the draft, it's in 2 parts as it is too big to upload as one file. It still needs some work so questions, comments, suggestions are welcome.

Good Job Jeffster!! excellent !!

Guest proud2beaussie

Hi Jeffster,

I wish you luck with your complaints to the ombudsman but before you spend any time on starting a petition may I suggest that you contact the petitions committee first? many states in Australia will not accept online petitions because they don't comply with standing orders,I don't know whether the

commonwealth parliament does,they may,but they may not so it would be worth your time to send an email to the committee -

petitions.committee.reps@aph.gov.au

to be sure that they won't just ignore it.

Good luck with your campaign,I hope you achieve justice and a fair outcome for everyone.

Regards

Nigel

Parliament of Australia: House of Representatives: Petitioning the House of Representatives

Edited to add: Jeffster I did want to make it absolutely clear that I support your campaign 100%,I fully support you complaining to whoever will listen and I really hope you succeed in bringing this matter to the attention of ordinary

Australians,I just want to make sure that your petition is dealt with and not ignored,I am not trying to put you off submitting a petition,but I would hate to see you waste your time and energy so that's why I suggested that you first ask them to indicate whether they will accept an online petition.

I really hope they will but if they won't then why not create the text that you want to use then post it here on PIO for people to copy and print off,then they could distribute the forms in local areas at schools,colleges,university,supermarkets etc,I would certainly be willing to out a few around in my area,maybe something to think about to get as many signatures as possible.

Good Luck.

Fantastic letter Jeff!!!! I support you 100% in your quest.

Hey Jeffster,

I really appreciate your effort. I am sure you will get many petitioners in this support. It's a beautifully composed letter. But there are two things you forgot to add.

1. The most effected visa applicants of Subclass 496 Skilled - Designated Area-sponsored (Provisional) (Class UZ) visa. We have been waiting since last 3 years. So I would request you to please update this class of application into you letter.

2. It's not easy to reach to the authorities of Australia who changes rules. So in that case you have to be very careful in presenting your petition as proud2beaussie has mentioned...

GOOD Luck matey... Great work..

Guest Jamie Smith

Great stuff!

Maybe people can tune the letter to their own circumstances and alssend a copy to the Shadow Minister for Immigration (in Opposition)

Mr Scott Morrison (scott.morrison.mp@aph.gov.au).

Maybe head it up as "Gross Mismanagement of the Immigration System" - the Opposition have an election theme attcking Labor's mismanagement of various programs/

Guest Mongobear

Very good Jeffster, absolutely great !!!

By the way, the source fot the german visa-fees is "http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de" (Department of forreign affairs)

Thanks

Uli

Jeffster, thank you for the time and trouble you have taken on all our behalf. Will happily add our signatures if a petition is found to be the correct way. Otherwise all I can suggest is that as many of us as possible, print a copy and forward it personally to the ombudsman and whoever else it is suggested should be in receipt of a copy.

Would it help if several of the more vociferous journalists were to be informed of just how inhumanely potential onshore immigrants are being treated, by sending them a copy as well, or would this not be allowed if this has been sent as a formal complaint to the ombudsman?

None of our many Australian friends are ashamed at how badly our family member is being treated, with all the retrospective changes. They are horrified when we tell them that he can't leave the country on bridging visa A. without pleading special circumstances. So perhaps the more that know, the better.

Jeffster, thank you for the time and trouble you have taken on all our behalf. Will happily add our signatures if a petition is found to be the correct way. Otherwise all I can suggest is that as many of us as possible, print a copy and forward it personally to the ombudsman and whoever else it is suggested should be in receipt of a copy.

Would it help if several of the more vociferous journalists were to be informed of just how inhumanely potential onshore immigrants are being treated, by sending them a copy as well, or would this not be allowed if this has been sent as a formal complaint to the ombudsman?

None of our many Australian friends are ashamed at how badly our family member is being treated, with all the retrospective changes. They are horrified when we tell them that he can't leave the country on bridging visa A. without pleading special circumstances. So perhaps the more that know, the better.

ps. Sorry should read all of our many Australian friends are ashamed (sorry for typo mistake).

Hi Jeffster,

The complaint is well drafted but there are few suggestions I'd like to make.

1) In the Appendix A, the waiting time for Australia should be "6 months to indefinite" since it clearly says that for group 4 will get processed after group 1,2 and 3, and logically group 3 will never get completely processed. Besides everyone of us who rang DIAC couldn't get a fixed number out of them with regards to processing time for this group 4.

2) When priority processing came out, one of the options they gave was "lodge another substantial visa" which loosely translates to get ANZSCO classification and lodge another visa. So literally pay us more to get bumped up. I see it as legalised bribery. But thats another point you could made that why on earth should someone fork out another $2575 + side costs when they already have a application in pipeline? Why isn't DIAC being instructed to sort through those applications if they at all have any intention to process them in first in first out order?

3) The case of ICT recent graduates: Older applicants from 2008 langushing in the pipeline while newer graduates given higher priority. Accountants (many of whom use the profession for the sake of PR) given higher priority despite only having 6s in IELTS. The entire group 4 should be dealt with quickly not swept under the carpet. Minister simply created this group to dump non-CSL applicants who can wait eternity.

Guest psharma
Hi Jeffster,

3) The case of ICT recent graduates: Older applicants from 2008 langushing in the pipeline while newer graduates given higher priority. Accountants (many of whom use the profession for the sake of PR) given higher priority despite only having 6s in IELTS. The entire group 4 should be dealt with quickly not swept under the carpet. Minister simply created this group to dump non-CSL applicants who can wait eternity.

Thanks Jeffester for the time you spent to draft out this letter, as USER_NAME mentioned above, all the ICT recent graduates have been plainly ignored even though we have been waiting quietly for the last 2 years or more in hope of getting processed in 2 years time frame.

This is not only unfair but ruining 100s of lives.......

Guest dtroy

Great work Jeffster!

I would add to recommendations:

Transparency in processing and progress of applications.

Why can't we see how far we in the Queue? (e.g "You are currently in position x at the queue" and update it electronically) How long will it take till a CO will be looking at our application, Estimated times, maximum waiting periods etc.. ?

Why can't immigration specify in detail the process an application needs to go through with estimated (and max) periods of time? If not for all of them, at least for "decision ready" applications where all documents have been provided.

For example:

CO initial review: 1 day

CO review additional documents: 2 days

CO job verification: 10 days

Internal Checks: 3 weeks

External checks: Depending on the country (USA: 2 weeks, INDIA 5 weeks etc...)

Etc...

It doesn't have to be acurate. I understand it's not science. But when it adds up to 2 years, you know something went wrong.

If this is was a business, they'd be out of business.

With proper management, planning and resourcing all of this can be achieved.

I feel there's a major cover up here in an attempt to hide the facts that this department is being run by incompetent people.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Jeffster

The Ombudsman has no power to investigate the conduct of a Minister of the Australian Government. Therefore I suggest that you remove all reference to the Minister for Immi. He is only a pollie. He is not an expert on immigration to Australia. He relies heavily on the advice he receives from his Department - DIAC. So blame them rather than him, I suggest, or you risk the Ombudsman rejecting your complaint because it is a complaint against a Minister, in effect.

If you want to blame an individual, I would suggest blaming Andrew Metcalfe, the Secretary (ie the CEO) of DIAC. He reports directly to the Government and it is Metcalfe's job to warn the Government if Metcalfe considers that any aspect of the Government's Immigration policy is likely to spiral out of control. It is also his job to advise the Government about the comparitive costs of applying to emigrate to Oz (compared to other countries) his job to advise the Government about refunding VACs and so forth.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Jeffster,

Great timing. I've been at my wits end trying to comprehend what has been happening with the treatment of applicants.

Given the message on their e-systems " People our business " perhaps we could suggest that they can back this up with some minimum standards that meet this rhetoric. Some suggestions if they have indeed not already been made:

1) Value for money.

2) Acceptable customer service and dialogue.

3) Minimum standards for dealing with ALL types of applications.

4) Effective complaints procedure.

I get the impression that they have designed a system which is wholely mismanaged, and grossly oversubscribed which results in a large proportion of applicants getting nothing in return for their fees. I also suspect that many applicants simply can't be bothered with the whole circus after a reasonable amount of time. I mean how many people would be bothered applying if they knew they would have to wait five years?

Cheers,

Gary

Guest dtroy

Guys, if you're serious about this thing, we have to take it to the media.

These issues are controlled by bureaucrats and politicians of the highest levels. It won't be resolved by a single complaint. It will require a full blown campaign.

The fact that the elections are coming up might serve us if we feed this to the opposition.

Other than that, I'd say go viral, set-up a website, try to send this to both Australian and international TV and newspapers.

We must put them to shame.

I support the letter you have written but I would you recommend you double check if it will be recognized like proud2baussie advised and also amend a few things before you have it signed. Gill's advice is very important and it may be turned down if you are complaining about the minister as it is not their concern. I have tried to write to the media and my hubby was starting the research needed to make a documentary about the bill. I have already, in the "visa capping" thread mentioned the programs I have emailed.

The only person to advocate for skilled migrants is Peter Mares on the National Radio.

Here are the links again.

Go to the following link

ABC News - Australia - News from around Australia

You will find at the bottom of that link icons which represent different programs. I clicked on all of them. When you click on one, you will either get an 'contact us' email or a web form you can fill out.

World News Australia has a similar process.

Here are some of them from my hotmail account.

7.30Syd@your.abc.net.au

4corners@your.abc.net.au

rcaffaudience@your.abc.net.au

foreign2@your.abc.net.au

Lateline@abc.net.au

Christine.Heard@sbs.com.au

I only received emails in return to thank me for my enquiry/feedback and some programs said they have forwarded my 'potential topic' to other programs which deal with such issues. One of the programs I have written to was the 7:30 REPORT on ABC. I do NOT think they have read it or that the producers have taken it any further. The reason I say that is because last week, the presenter Kerry was interviewing T. Abbott about cutting migration figures and he (the presenter) said that the Labor party has already cut immigration figures so Abbott was not really introducing any new policies. He thought it was a clever question to trick Abbott and little did the other know that immigration figures are not being cut due to policies but simply because the applications ARE NOT BEING PROCESSED. Abbott should know that. The presenter of 7.30 REPORT should know that cause I already wrote to the program weeks before that episode explaining about the kill bill. It's either everyone is playing is playing dumb and keeping this priority processing under the radar, or the producers did not read my email at all.

I think there is safety in numbers so you might want to forward this petition, once completed, to the media and newspapers.

Peter Mares is the only one who is already converted and is fighting on our side.

There is also another thread which is posted http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/92057-have-look.html about the NZ media condemning the immigration cuts in OZ.

Hope this helps

Guys, if you're serious about this thing, we have to take it to the media.

No one really cares about GSM. People's interest lies in assylum seekers as far as immigration is concerned. Lot of us have already mailed all the channels 7,9, 10, ABC to no avail.

Try do a google search with "DIAC GSM Changes" and you'll get none of the major papers or news source reporting anything about it.

Guest beersheer

There has to be something that could be done effectively, that would change the minds of so-called intelligent people that govern the system..

I fink media is the only power that could really/actually make an impact to this prolonged problem and life of misery....

Now problem is Govt. (IMO), wont let them raise this issue until the applicants have been ceased...

But again, there should be atleast one way out....and whats that?

6 candies for the right answer...

Archived