what do you miss most about the UK?

Guest christi

Guest christi

Interested to know, what us returning home guys are missing most about the UK.

Im missing the supermarkets and the great selection of food, George at Asda,Tesco and Marks and Sparks food.

Tesco finest food, was my favorite, beautiful meals, that I could just pop in the oven,,,I cant be doing with making stuff from scratch, it just does not taste the same

Im in Tas, so theres no IKEA or COSTCO here, and getting anything from the mainland, just costs a fortune in freight

I miss my wonderful Dr and Dentist, and havent been able to find either here, that are as good as what I had at home

I miss my wonderful Vet,and again havent found a vet here, who has anywhere the knowledge that my Vet in the UK had

I miss just being able to get into my car and pop down the road, and get everything I need, a few minutes away from home:chatterbox:

Medication here is so expensive, I hope I dont get sick again, because I cant afford the medication, and having to pay to go to the Drs, really cheeses me off. It is rare that anyone in Tas bulk bills, so you have to pay in full

Im missing my old life so much. I would love to know what others miss

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where abouts are you in Tassie?

My doctor here is much better than my UK doctor. I do agree you can't get ready meals here the same as the UK but I think our local produce is much better than Englands and good value for money.

I can't really comment on Vets or the dentist as we've only been to each once.

Emma:v_SPIN:

Guest guest30038
Interested to know, what us returning home guys are missing most about the UK.

Not very inclusive, or is there a presumption that those who aren't returning don't miss anything?.............not being snotty, just asking.

kev

PS if I can be included, I don't miss the sausages :wink: :biglaugh:

Guest chris955

Well seeing as this thread is about what we miss about the UK :wink:

The list is long

Our really long term friends

History

Architecture

Beautiful old houses

Countryside

Wonderful village pubs

Race tracks

Pub grub

The buzz

No doubt there is more.

Guest christi
Where abouts are you in Tassie?

My doctor here is much better than my UK doctor. I do agree you can't get ready meals here the same as the UK but I think our local produce is much better than Englands and good value for money.

I can't really comment on Vets or the dentist as we've only been to each once.

Emma:v_SPIN:

Hi Emma

We are just outside of Launceston,,,,,where are you?

:biggrin:

Guest christi
Not very inclusive, or is there a presumption that those who aren't returning don't miss anything?.............not being snotty, just asking.

kev

PS if I can be included, I don't miss the sausages :wink: :biglaugh:

Hey Kev

Im sure you can be included:biggrin:Not a sausage lover myself either whether they be pom or aussie ones,,,,,,hubby loves them all,,,,yuk,,,,,,,,,youre ok ,,,,,dont think your snotty,,,LOL

Guest christi
Well seeing as this thread is about what we miss about the UK :wink:

The list is long

Our really long term friends

History

Architecture

Beautiful old houses

Countryside

Wonderful village pubs

Race tracks

Pub grub

The buzz

No doubt there is more.

I have to agree with all of that,especially the friends:biggrin:

Guest siamsusie

Our Dr in Launceston is from Bristol and bulks bills, our local Dr. charges $15

Dentistry I have done always in Thailand, Dentistry on both sides of the world I find prohibitively expensive.

I do miss beautiful cricket greens

I miss my Italian Motor bike shop in Clapham

The wonderful old grog shops in Soho, cheap as

I miss Amsterdam Central Station where I can catch a train to many an exotic place

I miss Schiphol airport where I can take a drink and choose a destination for next to nothing

Church bells

and the most important Ambrosia & Birds custard!

Guest christi
Our Dr in Launceston is from Bristol and bulks bills, our local Dr. charges $15

Dentistry I have done always in Thailand, Dentistry on both sides of the world I find prohibitively expensive.

I do miss beautiful cricket greens

I miss my Italian Motor bike shop in Clapham

The wonderful old grog shops in Soho, cheap as

I miss Amsterdam Central Station where I can catch a train to many an exotic place

I miss Schiphol airport where I can take a drink and choose a destination for next to nothing

Church bells

and the most important Ambrosia & Birds custard!

Hi Susie

you are soooooooo lucky to have a Dr who bulk bills, we havent found one round this way.

Ours is even refusing to give repeat perscriptions now,,you have to make an appointment for the script clinic. That they bulk-bill, but if you are in longer than a couple of minutes, you get charged for a full proper appointment, which is not bulk-billed

Coles are selling the Ambrosia and Birds custard now, bit expensive, but at least there is a little taste of home.Hubby loves the tinned custard and I dont get a look in, when there is a tin of that in the cuboard:biggrin:

Guest siamsusie
Hi Susie

you are soooooooo lucky to have a Dr who bulk bills, we havent found one round this way.

Ours is even refusing to give repeat perscriptions now,,you have to make an appointment for the script clinic. That they bulk-bill, but if you are in longer than a couple of minutes, you get charged for a full proper appointment, which is not bulk-billed

Coles are selling the Ambrosia and Birds custard now, bit expensive, but at least there is a little taste of home.Hubby loves the tinned custard and I dont get a look in, when there is a tin of that in the cuboard:biggrin:

I have to agree Christi, its hit and miss, and I dont understand it to be frank. Dr (Bristol) bulk bills therefore I never carry my purse .. Dr (Local) charges $15 for a consultation and we receive back the $40 in the post to give to Dr Local. Repeat scripts are never charged for even if we loose them which my husband did the other day, and Dr Local removed 3 moles in his minor surgery clinic last night and not a cent to be given. All innoculations at Dr Local are free... Dr Karrtha in WA charged for everything including a tissue to wipe your nose on, minimum $80-$90. Two Pharmacies in Karratha, both owned by the same man, disgusting prices and I resorted to buying everything in Tasmania in bulk before going back. I have learned not to question:biggrin:... now the good news you were telling me about! I went into Coles near K mart looking for the damned stuff to feed my phantom pregnancy :no: are you referring to Coles in Lonnie central please? and whilst you are advising me Goddards Silver Dip have you seen any, coz I am not a domestic goddess :wubclub:Susie

Guest christi
I have to agree Christi, its hit and miss, and I dont understand it to be frank. Dr (Bristol) bulk bills therefore I never carry my purse .. Dr (Local) charges $15 for a consultation and we receive back the $40 in the post to give to Dr Local. Repeat scripts are never charged for even if we loose them which my husband did the other day, and Dr Local removed 3 moles in his minor surgery clinic last night and not a cent to be given. All innoculations at Dr Local are free... Dr Karrtha in WA charged for everything including a tissue to wipe your nose on, minimum $80-$90. Two Pharmacies in Karratha, both owned by the same man, disgusting prices and I resorted to buying everything in Tasmania in bulk before going back. I have learned not to question:biggrin:... now the good news you were telling me about! I went into Coles near K mart looking for the damned stuff to feed my phantom pregnancy :no: are you referring to Coles in Lonnie central please? and whilst you are advising me Goddards Silver Dip have you seen any, coz I am not a domestic goddess :wubclub:Susie

Hi Susie

Some of the pharmacies are disgusting what they charge, and some of the staff are soooooo rude.I try to go to the chemist warehouse when I can, but even then, a couple of times I have been caught out and found they were not that cheap afterall

Im glad you have found a GP, who doesant want to rip you off.You are so lucky there.

I go to Coles at Kings meadows for some pommie produce, thats where:biggrin: I get the custard from, they usually have it, along with colemans mint sauce, paxo, and some other goodies. Not a huge selection, but better than nothing

I havent spotted the Silver Dip, but I will keep an eye on my travels and let you know, if I come accross it

A long-shot, but maybe some on e-bay??.Sometimes for me, it works out very reasonable to get it on e-bay, and even after paying post,it is still cheaper than finding it here.Not always the case, but I have had some god buys and I have been very pleased

Great to chat to you

Christi

Really miss the history and the culture and everything typically British.

When I watch QI i feel really homesick-the sense of humour is unbeatable.

Castles and green hills church spires.

Speaking to people who know whom and what I'm talking about.

Speaking to people who have travelled further than Australia

Long summer evenings

English Birds

The news

People moaning (everyone seems too 'happy' here that it seems a bit false & like stepford wives to be honest-not many challenge anything).

Knowing when there is going to be a bank holiday -the term Bank Holday-not public holiday.

Obvious stuff like choice,supermarket etc

Argos

Laughing at ourselves.

Feeling part of the world

Being able to get anywhere from anywhere...very easily.

Guest The Pom Queen

Family, proper fish and chips and Asda/George. Apart from that I have everything here that I could possibly want.

Guest christi
Thanks for that Christi, I will pop there today Susie x

Hope they are not out of stock, or you will murder me!!!!!:biggrin:

Guest christi
Really miss the history and the culture and everything typically British.

When I watch QI i feel really homesick-the sense of humour is unbeatable.

Castles and green hills church spires.

Speaking to people who know whom and what I'm talking about.

Speaking to people who have travelled further than Australia

Long summer evenings

English Birds

The news

People moaning (everyone seems too 'happy' here that it seems a bit false & like stepford wives to be honest-not many challenge anything).

Knowing when there is going to be a bank holiday -the term Bank Holday-not public holiday.

Obvious stuff like choice,supermarket etc

Argos

Laughing at ourselves.

Feeling part of the world

Being able to get anywhere from anywhere...very easily.

Connie

All of those things I miss too

I still say Bank Holiday and get looked at very oddly!!

Gosh how we used to take Argos for granted, you could everything and anything, I cant beleive they havent got places like that here

I have told Aussies about Argos and how we shopped there and they have looked at me, like I have 66 heads

Sometimes I feel like I come from an alien planet somewhere,and sometimes its as if aussies dont beleive you when you tell them about things back home

Not long now for you Connie, and you will be back to all of those things:biggrin:

Connie

All of those things I miss too

I still say Bank Holiday and get looked at very oddly!!

Gosh how we used to take Argos for granted, you could everything and anything, I cant beleive they havent got places like that here

I have told Aussies about Argos and how we shopped there and they have looked at me, like I have 66 heads

Sometimes I feel like I come from an alien planet somewhere,and sometimes its as if aussies dont beleive you when you tell them about things back home

Not long now for you Connie, and you will be back to all of those things:biggrin:

Yes Christi in 4 weeks we will be home. We brought an Argos catalogue with us to show my Father in law-nobody can believe it- even the number of stores that are listed in the back! I'm not Argos crazy at all but to me it's just another thing that shows how limited the choice/ease of here. It's down to the population and vastness of the country I suppose.

I had a meeting with the Principal of the school today about various things and he said that Australia is the 'Centre of it's own universe'-couldn't have put it better myself.

I will miss being able to dry my washing outside in winter- it's glorious here today 20+ degrees but there is really more to my life than sunshine.:hug:

Guest christi
Yes Christi in 4 weeks we will be home. We brought an Argos catalogue with us to show my Father in law-nobody can believe it- even the number of stores that are listed in the back! I'm not Argos crazy at all but to me it's just another thing that shows how limited the choice/ease of here. It's down to the population and vastness of the country I suppose.

I had a meeting with the Principal of the school today about various things and he said that Australia is the 'Centre of it's own universe'-couldn't have put it better myself.

I will miss being able to dry my washing outside in winter- it's glorious here today 20+ degrees but there is really more to my life than sunshine.:hug:

Its rainy, and dull in Tas today, so my washing is in the tumble drier

I find Australia is British in some ways, but more American in stuff they say,and the way we have Senators and the way things are spelt.

It does surprise me though, the lack of choice.I just think this is how it has been for so long,people just accept , so nothing changes.

The principal hit the nail on the head, I think,sometimes I feel like I live on another planet:arghh:

What part of the UK will you be heading for Connie?:biggrin:

Guest guest30038

Pork Pies

The Lake District

Highlands of Scotland and the Isles

Snowdonia region

Crocus/Crocii, :err: daffodils

Migrating geese (they seem to go on the move during amazing morn/evenings

Old cemeteries....you can get a feel for the area from the headstones

Screams of the kids on the Blackpool donkeys

Old Peculiar

Crawling out of a tent in the early morning, on top of a mountain somewhere

The bacon I cook after crawling out of the tent

Mist covered lakes in the early morning

The smell, the morning after bonfire night

My 3 older boys and their kids

Chinese/Indian food as per how they do it in the UK

Hollands steak and kidney puddings

Black puddings

A John Prescott punch-up :biglaugh:

kev

Guest chloew

A good old British pub

Boots

Tescos' clubcard - never seem to get anything with my cards here

Fog coming out of my mouth when it's really cold

Family and friends

Sausages

A good old cuppa in a greasy spoon cafe served by a really grumpy woman in a chipped mug

Marks and Spencers pre-packed sandwiches when I'm in a rush

Country Lanes so narrow you breathe in as you go round the corner

Robins and Squirrels

Old Historic Houses with fantastic gardens

The weather - never thought I'd say that!

Guest siamsusie

Quote:

Originally Posted by christi viewpost.gif

Hi Susie

you read our minds....exactly what we are thinking about.The rate is so good at the minute and it we reckon that would be a really good way to do things

Hope you get your custard:biggrin:

I would say it seems a good idea, putting it in a high interest account and let it wait for you over there.

Anyway something I really missed to go with my custard "Cooking Apples" not Granny Smiths that I am given to cook with..... the big old nobbly Cooking Apple.

Just outside of Lonnie 81 kms ... Avoca...Avoca, Tasmania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

opposite the St Thomas Anglican Church (built in 1842) there is a wonderful old house, pommie girl with an ozzie husband, she sells English cooking apples, home produce veggies etc... well worth a drive over there just for the apples, jams etc.

Seeing you are here for a couple more years maybe we should start a hints and tips for Tassie i.e. good Drs, good Butchers, Restaurants etc .

I would love you to be able to leave with a few positives up your sleeve:wubclub:Susie x

Spouse Visa pr granted 2009, living in paradise

Guest guest36187

I miss....

Marks and Sparks food!!

Getting on a train and being in the centre of London in 20 mins

My little brother

My young cousins

Im like Moving2melbourne. HAve everything I need here

Guest christi
Quote:

Originally Posted by christi viewpost.gif

Hi Susie

you read our minds....exactly what we are thinking about.The rate is so good at the minute and it we reckon that would be a really good way to do things

Hope you get your custard:biggrin:

I would say it seems a good idea, putting it in a high interest account and let it wait for you over there.

Anyway something I really missed to go with my custard "Cooking Apples" not Granny Smiths that I am given to cook with..... the big old nobbly Cooking Apple.

Just outside of Lonnie 81 kms ... Avoca...Avoca, Tasmania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

opposite the St Thomas Anglican Church (built in 1842) there is a wonderful old house, pommie girl with an ozzie husband, she sells English cooking apples, home produce veggies etc... well worth a drive over there just for the apples, jams etc.

Seeing you are here for a couple more years maybe we should start a hints and tips for Tassie i.e. good Drs, good Butchers, Restaurants etc .

I would love you to be able to leave with a few positives up your sleeve:wubclub:Susie x

Spouse Visa pr granted 2009, living in paradise

That really confused me, when we first came here, I wanted to make an apple crumble, and couldent work out, why I couldent buy 'cooking apples', they did look oddly at me, in the supermarket, when I asked,,,,,must admit it took a while to work it all out.Have had the same experience with a few things I have asked for'kitchen roll' being one, but Im used to getting odd looks now:biggrin:

Dont get me wrong Susie, I do have positives, of our life here,its not all been bad.I am glad we came, we had to do it, see if it was right for us,

I did come accross something the other day, that was very much like you say, a hints and tips for Tas,,,,cant remember where I saw it now,,,,will have to rack my brain:cute:

Archived