Great time to be coming home and buying a house

bunbury61

Guest Working to fish
10 -20% to come off current prices yet ......try this site www.houseprices.co.uk just put in your postcode and it will give an idea of valuations.......great bargains to be had

Are the jobs there to pay for the bargains :idea: yet

Guest The Ropey HOFF
10 -20% to come off current prices yet ......try this site www.houseprices.co.uk just put in your postcode and it will give an idea of valuations.......great bargains to be had

Anyone coming back from Australia and benefiting from selling their homes in Australia and making a huge profit from the recent years housing boom and then getting the exchange rate they are because the uk was close to financial ruin and on top of that the uk housing market has been stagnent and house prices falling for ages,

If you are one of these lucky people you should get down on bended knee and thank Australia for being one of the best countries in the world financially due to them not going into recession.

Best of luck if this is you, but it is Australia that has allowed you to acheive this:wink:

Also good well paid jobs with good pensions are rare now in the uk, if you are looking for one, me i'm lucky cos i have one.

If you are one of these lucky people you should get down on bended knee and thank Australia for being one of the best countries in the world financially due to them not going into recession.

Best of luck if this is you, but it is Australia that has allowed you to acheive this:wink:

About bloody time - for decades it has been almost impossible to move in the opposite direction with the crap Aus dollar and lower wages etc. Overseas holidays were out of reach of many pockets. We have been doing the hard yards for years so it is our turn now to have a bit of freedom to move with money.

Wont last for long though, we didnt suffer in the last recession due to the good financial management of the Howard government but we will be down in the doldrums with everyone else when it hits again because we have borrowed well above our credit limit.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
About bloody time - for decades it has been almost impossible to move in the opposite direction with the crap Aus dollar and lower wages etc. Overseas holidays were out of reach of many pockets. We have been doing the hard yards for years so it is our turn now to have a bit of freedom to move with money.

Wont last for long though, we didnt suffer in the last recession due to the good financial management of the Howard government but we will be down in the doldrums with everyone else when it hits again because we have borrowed well above our credit limit.

Hi Quoll

i hope you are right we are down about $160,000 from what we could have taken to Australia when we first applied for our visa, which is definately playing a part in us having second thoughts about emigrating.

Also i want things to pick up here in the uk, because i have alot of family and friends here, and also, it will mean that my house price goes up and gives us more money to leave with.

Some don't see this happening for along time though.:mad:

Guest Working to fish
Hi Quoll

i hope you are right we are down about $160,000 from what we could have taken to Australia when we first applied for our visa, which is definately playing a part in us having second thoughts about emigrating.

Also i want things to pick up here in the uk, because i have alot of family and friends here, and also, it will mean that my house price goes up and gives us more money to leave with.

Some don't see this happening for along time though.:mad:

what do i know ,but i dont think it will :idea:

Guest christi

speaking with the currency exchange people about taking our money home, its a great time to go back. The house prices in the Uk are meant to plummet soon, whether thats right or not remains to be seen. We will go back with a considerable amount of money more, than what we came with thanks to the exchange rate, and we should be able to afford a far better house, than what we originally had

Our old house in England is up for sale, and it is on for thirty grand less, than what we sold it for 3 years ago. So if thats any indication

The currency people said they have more people returning than they have ever known, so whether its because of the currency exchange, or other reasons I dont know

I just hope we can go, while we are getting such a favourable rate of exchange

I dont envy people coming out now, as they must be loosing so much money on the exchange now

Guest chris955

Yes a good time to be doing the move, the UK is getting back on it's feet and the job market is improving. We will be able to get ourselves a solid old house in exchange for our timber place here.

Guest christi
Yes a good time to be doing the move, the UK is getting back on it's feet and the job market is improving. We will be able to get ourselves a solid old house in exchange for our timber place here.

I LOVE THE STYLE OF HOUSE IN THE UK, I DIDENT THINK I WOULD MISS THAT, BUT I DO

ITS LOOKING GOOD THERE, FOR US GUYS GOING HOME,,,,,I JUST CANT WAIT CHRIS.

WHEN DO YOU EXPECT TO GO?:biggrin:

Guest chris955

Not sure at the moment, I am heading back for 3 weeks in September and then the final decision on an approximate date will be made. I so much want a nice solid house in a village somewhere, a house where I don't have to be fighting bloody termites the whole time.

Guest christi
Not sure at the moment, I am heading back for 3 weeks in September and then the final decision on an approximate date will be made. I so much want a nice solid house in a village somewhere, a house where I don't have to be fighting bloody termites the whole time.

I dont think we have termites, in TAS, could be wrong, sure someone will tell me if Im wrong :biggrin:

we are going to get our finances in order and then we are off, for good,so lets just hope the house prices and exchange rates, stay in our favour

Im sure you will find some lovely houses, there are some beautiful little villages back home,,,real picture postcard ones, Hope the trip goes well:daydreaming:

Guest chris955

Thank you, same to you.

We have been doing the online property searches and there are some fabulous old places available for really good money.

We went to see some friends a couple of weeks ago, they have bought a huge new house not far from here and when we left I commented to my wife how the place was just characterless and had no atmosphere, that is why I love old houses. Also this house had literally no garden, at the back I could touch the back wall and the back fence at the same time, at the sides there was maybe 10 feet and the front was almost straight onto the road. All for $800,000. No thanks.

Guest christi
Thank you, same to you.

We have been doing the online property searches and there are some fabulous old places available for really good money.

We went to see some friends a couple of weeks ago, they have bought a huge new house not far from here and when we left I commented to my wife how the place was just characterless and had no atmosphere, that is why I love old houses. Also this house had literally no garden, at the back I could touch the back wall and the back fence at the same time, at the sides there was maybe 10 feet and the front was almost straight onto the road. All for $800,000. No thanks.

Wow thats a lot of money, we live in a new build, and although it is really nice, it is characterless

I like the older style of house in the UK, I do like my mod-cons, but a solid house with some history

The prices are very good in the UK, and I spend hours on Rightmove, Im surprised to find that I can now find the sort of house we are going to be looking for at such great prices.Before we left the UK, that sort of house, was well out of our price range, and now the prices have dropped, they are affordable to us.

Lets just hope the prices keep dropping ,and as I said before the exchange rate stays kind for us:biggrin:

Guest chris955

Do you have the Rightmove Desktop application ? Very useful and easy to use.

When we moved to Brisbane 10 years ago we could literally only afford just over $100,000 which could buy a very nice house with a pool in a near by not so good suburb, we were lucky with what we got. Now they have increased 4 fold in this area and I am amazed that people can afford to buy, of course many can't. Most of the places around here are older character houses but there are also plenty of those horrible McMansions around as well.

I dont think we have termites, in TAS, could be wrong, sure someone will tell me if Im wrong :biggrin:

we are going to get our finances in order and then we are off, for good,so lets just hope the house prices and exchange rates, stay in our favour

Im sure you will find some lovely houses, there are some beautiful little villages back home,,,real picture postcard ones, Hope the trip goes well:daydreaming:

How long the house prices will stay down I wonder?

When are you thinking heading back?

Guest christi
Do you have the Rightmove Desktop application ? Very useful and easy to use.

When we moved to Brisbane 10 years ago we could literally only afford just over $100,000 which could buy a very nice house with a pool in a near by not so good suburb, we were lucky with what we got. Now they have increased 4 fold in this area and I am amazed that people can afford to buy, of course many can't. Most of the places around here are older character houses but there are also plenty of those horrible McMansions around as well.

No I dont have the Desktop application, I just type in Rightmove and off I go

Its amazing how the house prices have leapt,,,,our visa application took 14 months back in 2007, and we were watching realestate, and the prices were soaring then. We originally headed to Melbourne and by the time we got there, we really could not afford to buy very much, that was part of the reason, we headed to Tassie.Prices are rocketing here, but you can still get something reasonable for around $250-300,000, not terribly exciting, but a basic house.If you want to go right out,and dont mind travelling there are some bargains to be had still, but we have found, usually with good reason,they are cheaper!!! say no more:biggrin:

The big beautiful old houses in Launceston are beyond reach for many now,some are over the $million mark

At least we will be ok, selling, and hope to make a good profit.But Im glad we came when we did, I really would not want to be starting out here now, we just could not afford to

Great to chat with you Chris

Christi

Thank you, same to you.

I agree.

The way houses are built here are laughable, especially the newly builts. They just throw it together and hope for the best.:wacko:

There is no way I would get a mortgage for a house here, it's just not worth it, some of them is like a shack.

Guest christi
How long the house prices will stay down I wonder?

When are you thinking heading back?

I wish I knew, if the reports are anything to go by, they reckon prices will crash, but when, if, how, where, is anyones guess. I dont think they really know themselves sometimes

It will be great for anyone going home, but I dont envy the poor devils trying to sell and come out here

We still have a couple of years ,,,,maximum,wish we dident and I could go right now, but we have to make sure we go back financially secure, or else this will all of been a complete waste of time for us.

What about you, are you staying or going??:biggrin:

Guest chris955

There was a place built around the corner from us that we saw every morning on the way to school, one day it was a concrete slab, then a wooden frame, next a tin roof and bricks. All done. When you see a 40 year old house you realise that is probably the expected life span.

I agree.

The way houses are built here are laughable, especially the newly builts. They just throw it together and hope for the best.:wacko:

There is no way I would get a mortgage for a house here, it's just not worth it, some of them is like a shack.

Guest christi
I agree.

We always laugh, when we see a house being built, they are just built so differently from the UK

The plastering is what makes me chuckle,I wonder how Aussie builders get on if they ever go to England to work...:biggrin:

Guest siamsusie
I wish I knew, if the reports are anything to go by, they reckon prices will crash, but when, if, how, where, is anyones guess. I dont think they really know themselves sometimes

It will be great for anyone going home, but I dont envy the poor devils trying to sell and come out here

We still have a couple of years ,,,,maximum,wish we dident and I could go right now, but we have to make sure we go back financially secure, or else this will all of been a complete waste of time for us.

I really am no mathematician Christi, if you are leaving it a couple of years before heading back, are you not concerned about future exchange rates.?. have you thought about selling your home, converting it back to pound and renting out here for a while?

Renting = no rates, no maintenance

Susie:wubclub:

Guest christi
There was a place built around the corner from us that we saw every morning on the way to school, one day it was a concrete slab, then a wooden frame, next a tin roof and bricks. All done. When you see a 40 year old house you realise that is probably the expected life span.

Its no wonder they date so quickly.

Guest christi
I really am no mathematician Christi, if you are leaving it a couple of years before heading back, are you not concerned about future exchange rates.?. have you thought about selling your home, converting it back to pound and renting out here for a while?

Renting = no rates, no maintenance

Susie:wubclub:

Hi Susie

you read our minds....exactly what we are thinking about.The rate is so good at the minute and it we reckon that would be a really good way to do things

Hope you get your custard:biggrin:

Very possibly will be going back, but not in the next couple of years. We will have to save up as much as we can, like you.

Just feel so unlucky with the housing situation, before we left for Aus, we couldn't get on the property ladder in the UK, and by the time we got to Aus, the prices have rocketed here out of our reach (and the prices dropped in the UK).

We could get a mortgage here if we really wanted to, but we would be overstreched, besides as I mentioned before, the prices they ask for these houses in my opinion just not worth it.

Guest christi
Very possibly will be going back, but not in the next couple of years. We will have to save up as much as we can, like you.

Just feel so unlucky with the housing situation, before we left for Aus, we couldn't get on the property ladder in the UK, and by the time we got to Aus, the prices have rocketed here out of our reach (and the prices dropped in the UK).

We could get a mortgage here if we really wanted to, but we would be overstreched, besides as I mentioned before, the prices they ask for these houses in my opinion just not worth it.

poor you, you were unlucky.

Its catch 22, no matter what sometimes

I dont think any of us know what to do for the best sometimes, just wish you had a crystal ball, to know the right way to go.

Archived