importing cats.... any experiences?

Pozz

Im looking into bringing the family cat and have found plenty of advice on cost and the whole process, but I would like to know how the cat coped.

Its my dream to come to Oz so if the cat croaks on the way im in trouble!

hi Pozz,

you will find lots of posts on this forum from people who have brought their cats over and I don't recall seeing any saying there were problems with it.

Everyone seems to say that their cats (and dogs) settled in just fine, and that its probably more stressful for their owners!

We brought 2 very sensitive cats over from London, and they are now with us on the Sunshine Coast, as happy as before. It only took them a few hours to be back to their usual selves once we were reunited.

There are also posts from people saying how glad they were that they brought their pets over.

best of luck, sg

Thank you.

When your cats were in quarantine how often could you vist them?

We visited them only once, as the station is a long way from central Sydney and we only had a few days there before travelling north.

It is possible to visit twice a week, I think, but to be honest there's not a lot to do there, the cages are quite small, literally no room to swing a cat (!) and your cat would just probably sit in her bed and sleep.

Our cat was 15 when she travelled so not young (19 now). She managed the journey well, she was very well looked after at the Quarantine Station in Byford Perth. We have the travel box she was shipped in and this was bigger than I expected and quite roomy .. my OH commented that she probably had more leg room than we did on our flight.

Guest girlwizz99

I reluctantly gave my two cats away to my mother, they have a charmed life with her on prawns and tuna now, as two vets advised me that there was a significant chance that the cats could die on the plane. Both vets I asked informed me that is was very traumatic for the animals and it would be best to give them to a new home if I could find one.... I thought it was better to be safe than sorry... Besides, living in Northern Queensland I didn't want them getting bitten by spiders, snakes and tripped out by cane toads!

Archived