PGCE clarification needed

swifty99

Hello,

My family are due to move out to victoria within the next 18 months, but will be leaving my son here as he is due to start university in september. he will be doing physical education so he can become a PE teacher, my question is he wants to follow us to live in australia but is it worth him doing his PGCE which is a further year study additional to the 3 years degree to get teacher status in the uk or come over to australia to complete his studies to get teacher status as we are unaware what is the best for him to do, so all help would be very grateful

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

My family are due to move out to victoria within the next 18 months, but will be leaving my son here as he is due to start university in september. he will be doing physical education so he can become a PE teacher, my question is he wants to follow us to live in australia but is it worth him doing his PGCE which is a further year study additional to the 3 years degree to get teacher status in the uk or come over to australia to complete his studies to get teacher status as we are unaware what is the best for him to do, so all help would be very grateful

Thanks

He could probably do it either way. In Oz to qualify as a teacher you must have completed 4 years at uni not three. So if he stayed in the Uk and got his PGCE then he could apply for Teaching status in the state he wanted to reside in once he got here. However, if he wants to come over after his BSc then he can go to uni here for a year instead and do a Dip Ed which will give him the equvalent Aussie qualification. This may be a better option as he would get his teaching experience in Aussie schools and make some useful contacts, but its really up to him. Be warned though if he only has PR he won't get HECS here so will have to pay Uni fees (domestic rate) up front.

Just a thought, why doesn't he just take a gap year in UK and save some money, travel etc and then come over to Oz with you and do his degree here? There are some great sports degrees and education degrees here. Our youngest leaves school thsi year and is looking at doing just this, he is considering doing a Double degree (4 years) at Monash uni in Melbourne studying a Sports and outdoor recreation degree and an education degree together, we went to an open day last week and were extremely impressed with the uni and course.

Hope this helps.

Well like Quoll and cazi said, if he's started in the UK he might as well finish in the UK! I fortunately haven't started Uni, and if I went through 3 years on a BSc program and continue to do a PGCE afterwards my visa would expire and I'd be stuck in the UK with my mum, dad and brother in Australia!

If he's got the option to finish his studies in the UK and join you afterwards without his visa expiring, you've not got anything to lose. Have heard it's not always that easy for NQTs to find work... but I could be wrong, and it's bound to be different by the time he can come over to Australia again!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest punky pom

My husband did his degree and PhD in UK and did his teacher training in Oz. But if we want to go back to the UK he can teach in the UK but will have to do further study in order to be given full teacher status AND will only be paid 15,000 pounds per annum whilst he does this. Sorry he is out at the moment so dont know the teminology. I would check that the same doesnt apply here if your son does his teaching in the UK. If not then I would suggest better to do it in the UK uni courses are so expensive here even though there is a subsidy for teacher training. Also they are crying out for teachers here we have just finished travelling around Oz my husband was newly qualified and had no problems getting work. Best way is to go into the schools in person. Be warned however that in WA they like you to do 2yrs possibly more in a country area before you can apply for a permanent position in Perth. Country here is not like country in the UK you reall can be miles from anywhere. Hope I have helped a bit.

Guest girlwizz99
Hello,

Thanks

Will you be permanent residents? If you have temporary status to do a Post Grad Ed Dip here in Australia you pay International Student fees which are very hefty. I did one a couple of years ago at James Cook University on my temp residency 457 visa and it cost $15,000! Permanent residents or citizens pay a huge amount less.

Archived