GSM Changes - Some FAQs

Alan Collett

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have a question regarding switching to SS if anyone can help us.

We are currently 176 family lodged in May 2010 and obtained SS on 15th July. The ACT sent form 1100 to DIAC on 19th July, the day the priority processing was announced, so will DIAC have accepted it or not?

One of the FAQ's on the go matilda news says that 175 (if lodged before 1 July) can switch but I am not too clear on 176 family and if they can switch.

If not we will have to stay as 176 family but OH occupation is on SOL schedule 3 so will be priority 3.

Thanks for any advice

Claire

Have a question regarding switching to SS if anyone can help us.

We are currently 176 family lodged in May 2010 and obtained SS on 15th July. The ACT sent form 1100 to DIAC on 19th July, the day the priority processing was announced, so will DIAC have accepted it or not?

One of the FAQ's on the go matilda news says that 175 (if lodged before 1 July) can switch but I am not too clear on 176 family and if they can switch.

If not we will have to stay as 176 family but OH occupation is on SOL schedule 3 so will be priority 3.

Thanks for any advice

Claire

You can switch from Family sponsorship to State sponsorship. You are ok... Go on girl, the SMPs are coming :biggrin:

You can switch from Family sponsorship to State sponsorship. You are ok... Go on girl, the SMPs are coming :biggrin:

Thanks Ozzieland. Where does it actually say that you can in plain english though, am I missing something?

I am getting a bit confused with the FAQ's on DIAC's site as they seem to refer to everything after or with effect 1 July.

I am really hoping that this is the case. OH occupation is actually on all the SOL schedules 1 to 4 so fingers crossed it will be on the SMP.

Cheers

Claire

Thanks Ozzieland. Where does it actually say that you can in plain english though, am I missing something?

I am getting a bit confused with the FAQ's on DIAC's site as they seem to refer to everything after or with effect 1 July.

I am really hoping that this is the case. OH occupation is actually on all the SOL schedules 1 to 4 so fingers crossed it will be on the SMP.

Cheers

Claire

This link should answer your query http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/81279-state-v-family-sponsorship-help-needed.html

Read Gill's reply.

I have read this so often but when you actually want to find it again, you have to really search :biggrin:

This link should answer your query http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/81279-state-v-family-sponsorship-help-needed.html

Read Gill's reply.

I have read this so often but when you actually want to find it again, you have to really search :biggrin:

Hi Ozzieland.

Yes I was aware that switching from 176 family to 176 ss was possible back then but now since the new processing priorities have come into effect from the communication issued yesterday, does the same rule apply?

Our Form 1100 to switch was sent the same day (19th July) as the new priority processing came out. I don't know if DIAC will accept it.

Cheers

Claire

Hi Ozzieland.

Yes I was aware that switching from 176 family to 176 ss was possible back then but now since the new processing priorities have come into effect from the communication issued yesterday, does the same rule apply?

Our Form 1100 to switch was sent the same day (19th July) as the new priority processing came out. I don't know if DIAC will accept it.

Cheers

Claire

Yes it will apply. DIAC should accept it because you lodged your visa before 1st July, 2010.

Yes it will apply. DIAC should accept it because you lodge your visa before 1st July, 2010.

But do you know where this is quoted? I can't see anything in the recent FAQ that came out that clearly say if you have lodged a 176 family visa before 1 July you are still able to switch to SS without re-applying.

Ta

Claire

But do you know where this is quoted? I can't see anything in the recent FAQ that came out that clearly say if you have lodged a 176 family visa before 1 July you are still able to switch to SS without re-applying.

Ta

Claire

I think you are worrying a little. It is clearly mentioned on the DIAC website that the new rules do not affect the pre 1st July 2010 applicants.

Just think of it logically, if you are a sc 175, you can transfer to a 176, right ? A totally different subclass. Family and SS visa are both sc 176 and all you need to do is replace it with the Form 1100. DIAC will accept it. This rule has now changed for new applications received on or after 1st July, 2010 wherein they are not going to be allowed to move. Since you are a pre 1st July, 2010 applicant, the old rules apply.

Guest Gollywobbler
Good morning Gill, if this is the case do you then suspect that proccessing will commence for cat3 whilst we are waiting for SMP's or do you think they will yet again delay. Many thanks Lesley

Hi Lesley

Nobody knows for sure. My guess is as good as yours and even a truthful migration agent will admit that s/he does not know.

I believe that some of the States have indicated that they would be willing to consider "old style" State sponsorship for some of the occupations in Schedule 3. For example, NSW seem to be willing to consider the idea. I think that whether or not other States follow NSW's example will depend on how long they think the continuing (and in my opinion unacceptable) delays over the SMPs will drag on for.

This wretched Minister is hardly doing anything by way of filling Australia's need for skilled workers when he has brought the whole GSM system to what is almost a complete and shuddering halt. How is that going to help the average business in Australia to expand out of the GFC and to hire additional workers? DIAC readily admit that most of the businesses in Australia are small businesses. Because they are small businesses:

• They don't have the time or the resources to devote to trying to disentangle the cat's cradle that the present Minister has made out of skilled migration to Australia.

• Many of them are not able to get involved with ENS or RSMS visas, either because they are too small for the ENS programme or they can't guarantee to be able to offer a skilled migrant sustained employment for the 2-year period required by the RSMS programme.

• If the employer is based in Regional Oz, sure - he can rort his prospective migrant worker. He can offer the migrant a job, assure him that the future of the business is rosy, get him out to Oz with the promise of long-term employment and then ditch this new worker 6 months after he reaches Oz because the business is not doing as well as the employer "hoped" that it would. Such an employer is likely to be able to jump through all of the hoops for an RSMS visa. He can demonstrate that he has advertised the job locally to no avail. DIAC don't spot the situation where the reason why the employer can't drum up any interest locally is either because he is known locally as the Employer From Hell and/or a local knows full well that the business is more ropey than the employer would like to make out. A migrant in another country who has simply been interviewed on the phone once or twice simply isn't going to spot the weaknesses that would be obvious to a local worker. Plus your OH is a Fibrous Plasterer. 9/10 of the other Fibrous Plasterers in Oz work as self employed subbies. A local will not risk tying himself to an employer who might not be as good as he (the employer) claims for 2 years' worth of work.

• Where the employer is a decent, good-hearted character instead of our dodgy friend in the example above, he is unlikely to want to risk dragging a migrant half-way round the planet for a situation that the employer knows is less certain than both sides would like it to be.

In both of the above situations, a GSM visa would actually suit both sides a lot better than employer-nomination would suit them, which is why the points system and independent skilled migration were invented in the first place, I strongly suspect. I believe that the Minister should get off his ideological jag that employer-sponsored migration is Nirvana for both the employer and the employee because that is actually a completely false premise for the majority of the businesses in Oz, which tend to be very small businesses, just as they are in the UK as well.

You want to move to QLD, I gather. Why QLD particularly, Lesley? Do you have close family in QLD or something? I ask because if there is no particular "pull" towards QLD, it is not a State that I would consider if I were a skilled tradie. I reckon that for tradies, the main futures for them will be north of Perth in WA and in SA, plus perhaps the NT though most Britons would not head for the NT.

If there is no particular "pull" towards QLD then I would change the whole game plan if I were you. The construction industry is said to be in the doldrums in QLD at present and likely to remain so for the foreseeable future, apparently, plus (as Alan Collett has said) the population of south east QLD has been growing too rapidly for anybody to trust it in recent years.

Unemployment around Brisbane is said to be high and a good 50% of the deckhands doing semi-skilled or unskilled work on the workboats on the NW Shelf are from QLD according to Tim (who used to do Site Admin on here.) Tim is a Naval Architect/engineer and he is in charge of the marine end of one of the NW Shelf projects. Because he is on the workboats himself a lot of the time, he gets chatting with the deckies and similar. They have told him that they are Queenslanders who put up with FIFO from Brisbane to Karratha because there is no work for them around Brisbane. They are Aussies and they can earn far more money as deckies on the NW Shelf workboats than they can earn by doing equally menial jobs in their home State. Tim hates being stuck on the workboats, which are out of sight of land most of the time, but he's doing it for the money as well. He is simply able to earn far more money than a deckie, but Tim has far higher job-expectations as well.

If you have family in QLD then obviously I can understand your wish to go there. The Minister doesn't share your enthusiasm, though, and unless Fibrous Plasterer appears on QLD's SMP, I suspect that Jacob Reinders doesn't share your enthusiasm either.

So what is your reason for choosing QLD, please?

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Category 1 applications are becoming increasingly significant in number - that alone might mean that cat 3 applications are placed on hold, although what all the officers at the ASPC and the BSPC are to do in the meantime is a mystery to me.

Best regards.

Hi Alan

Please don't be mystified any longer! I asked the same question when I went to visit DIAC in London last year! I was assured most earnestly that DIAC shift staff around between the most urgent tasks/highest workloads. "What the Government wants, we deliver," so I was assured.

So now we know! Unfortunately they didn't hear my question correctly.... Obviously they shift the staff around but what I wanted to know was IT-related. Do they physically uproot a CO in Perth and send him to Adelaide to help with the ASPC's workload or can the guy in Perth stay in Perth and help out at the ASPC via the computer? My question wasn't answered and it wasn't an important enough point to make it worth any persistence from me, so I let it go! I still don't know the answer to the question that I actually asked.

With regard to the idea that employer-sponsored PR migration is on the rise, I have 3 questions, please:

1. How much of the "increased activity" is actually only employers offering sc 457 staff permanent jobs and permanent visas because that is now less onerous than the sc 457 game from the employer's point of view?

2. How much of it is because the employers are as fed up with the constant changes in the GSM programme as the prospective migrant employees are fed up with it too?

3. What about the employers in Oz - the vast majority of employers are in this third category, according to David Wilden - who are not eligible for employer-sponsored PR visas for their workers? What is the Minister doing to help them?

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Read Gill's reply.

Hi Ozzieland

I'm not happy with your reliance on something that I said in March 2010, hun. The assurance that I gave Maria was accurate at the time but it was several months ago, before the Minister's bombshells since then.

I believe that people should pay close attention to the Agents Information sub-forum from now on because if the information in a thread in that sub-forum becomes obsolete, we can delete the relevant posts or the whole thread. We can't delete threads that ordinary PiO members have contributed to - doing so would be sure to upset someone! An Agent wouldn't want his/her information to continue to be visible if the information becomes out of date - getting a name for promulgating out-of-date information wouldn't do the Agent concerned any good. An Agent wouldn't take it personally whereas an ordinary member might well do so.

People should please be very careful to check the dates of any information given and please IGNORE the information given in threads on Poms in Oz if DIAC have produced anything new since the date of the supposedly encouraging posts. Please do NOT rely on out-of-date information because doing so might well harm your best interests instead of helping them.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
I think you are worrying a little. It is clearly mentioned on the DIAC website that the new rules do not affect the pre 1st July 2010 applicants.

Just think of it logically, if you are a sc 175, you can transfer to a 176, right ? A totally different subclass. Family and SS visa are both sc 176 and all you need to do is replace it with the Form 1100. DIAC will accept it. This rule has now changed for new applications received on or after 1st July, 2010 wherein they are not going to be allowed to move. Since you are a pre 1st July, 2010 applicant, the old rules apply.

Hi Claireg and Ozzieland

Um. Not quite. Subclasses 175 and 176 are both in Class VE. The technical rule is that you apply for a visa in a particular Class, not for the narrower subclass. The CO must consider your eligibility for all of the subclasses of visa within that particular Class. This is what made switching around possible for visa applications that were lodged before 1st July 2010.

On 1st July 2010, DIAC changed the rules for applications made on or after 1st July 2010. However DIAC have been careful to stress that they have not imposed this change retrospectively. It does not apply to visa applications that were lodged prior to 1st July.

So Claire is OK - she can swop, just as you have said.

Cheers

Gill

Guest tyasawa

=( long time lurker.. first post..

This new priority processing has given me a massive headache and heartache..

I think I need to pour my heart out a little bit, this whole shenanigans has been eating my mind.. Truthfully my boyfriend is really feed up with all these changes and doesn't really care anymore, but I still wants to try. I've also got couple of questions (my agent is a bit useless and it seems like she herself have no idea what to expect)

Here is the story, me and my boyfriend both applied for 885 separately. I am on bridging visa, but he hold TR (485) at the moment. We both on the dreaded Computer Professional NEC, therefore on the "waiting forever" group. He's in the process of claiming modl point for .Net (should be anytime soon it has been more than 3 months). But then it would be useless now since the CSL has been revoked

I am thinking, maybe he could get new assessment for Developer Programmer that's on the Schedule 3 and re-apply for 885 - more money for DIAC blah - so he can move up to priority 3. So at least one of us have better chance. Would that be possible to since he already got 885 on the pipeline? ENS is not possible since I don't think his employer got training is place.

It's just stupid how we can't just change our current skill assessment to the one on schedule 3, it means that new applicants with same circumstances (new IT graduates) will get higher priority than us..

Sorry for the bad English.. it's not my first language obviously (and I'm pretty upset atm)

Guest Gollywobbler
=( long time lurker.. first post..

This new priority processing has given me a massive headache and heartache..

I think I need to pour my heart out a little bit, this whole shenanigans has been eating my mind.. Truthfully my boyfriend is really feed up with all these changes and doesn't really care anymore, but I still wants to try. I've also got couple of questions (my agent is a bit useless and it seems like she herself have no idea what to expect)

Here is the story, me and my boyfriend both applied for 885 separately. I am on bridging visa, but he hold TR (485) at the moment. We both on the dreaded Computer Professional NEC, therefore on the "waiting forever" group. He's in the process of claiming modl point for .Net (should be anytime soon it has been more than 3 months). But then it would be useless now since the CSL has been revoked

I am thinking, maybe he could get new assessment for Developer Programmer that's on the Schedule 3 and re-apply for 885 - more money for DIAC blah - so he can move up to priority 3. So at least one of us have better chance. Would that be possible to since he already got 885 on the pipeline? ENS is not possible since I don't think his employer got training is place.

It's just stupid how we can't just change our current skill assessment to the one on schedule 3, it means that new applicants with same circumstances (new IT graduates) will get higher priority than us..

Sorry for the bad English.. it's not my first language obviously (and I'm pretty upset atm)

Hi there

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

I can't help with your IT/visa question because I freely admit that I haven't a clue about IT, so I have zero understanding of the occupations/skills that you and all the other IT Wizards are describing.

However, I am British by birth, a lawyer by trade and my command of the English language is seldom bettered by anyone. Therefore I can speak with authority when I tell you that your written English is absolutely excellent, the more so since you say that English is not your first language.

As a matter of interest, what is your first language, please?

Cheers

Gill

Guest rpkbuviki

Very well said Bro :err:.

Yes it does leave us all hanging like monkeys awaiting the DIAC to dish out the SMP bananas!

Guest tyasawa
Hi there

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

I can't help with your IT/visa question because I freely admit that I haven't a clue about IT, so I have zero understanding of the occupations/skills that you and all the other IT Wizards are describing.

However, I am British by birth, a lawyer by trade and my command of the English language is seldom bettered by anyone. Therefore I can speak with authority when I tell you that your written English is absolutely excellent, the more so since you say that English is not your first language.

As a matter of interest, what is your first language, please?

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill,

Reading this forum helps a lot, it feels like I've found comrades :wubclub: I hope time will tell what will happen to the IT applications in the pipeline. My boyfriend and I are quite lucky tho, we both managed to secure full time job. Some of our friend aren't that lucky, since in my opinion getting a job without PR highly depend on your luck instead of your capabilities.

At first I don't really mind waiting, but the proposed cap and cease and the new GSM updates changes everything. I feel like instead of waiting for PR approval, I'm waiting on my turn to be rejected or capped :rolleyes:

=D Thanks for the compliment Gill, tho I noticed I've mistyped some words lol. I came from Jakarta, Indonesia. Indonesian is my first language.

In regards to the new priority processing, is it actually being use atm? What's the officers actually use as a guideline? My agent still told me that they're still using the CSL. I think she is just as misinformed or confused as a lot of us.

Cheers,

Tyas

Hi Lesley

Nobody knows for sure. My guess is as good as yours and even a truthful migration agent will admit that s/he does not know.

I believe that some of the States have indicated that they would be willing to consider "old style" State sponsorship for some of the occupations in Schedule 3. For example, NSW seem to be willing to consider the idea. I think that whether or not other States follow NSW's example will depend on how long they think the continuing (and in my opinion unacceptable) delays over the SMPs will drag on for.

This wretched Minister is hardly doing anything by way of filling Australia's need for skilled workers when he has brought the whole GSM system to what is almost a complete and shuddering halt. How is that going to help the average business in Australia to expand out of the GFC and to hire additional workers? DIAC readily admit that most of the businesses in Australia are small businesses. Because they are small businesses:

• They don't have the time or the resources to devote to trying to disentangle the cat's cradle that the present Minister has made out of skilled migration to Australia.

• Many of them are not able to get involved with ENS or RSMS visas, either because they are too small for the ENS programme or they can't guarantee to be able to offer a skilled migrant sustained employment for the 2-year period required by the RSMS programme.

• If the employer is based in Regional Oz, sure - he can rort his prospective migrant worker. He can offer the migrant a job, assure him that the future of the business is rosy, get him out to Oz with the promise of long-term employment and then ditch this new worker 6 months after he reaches Oz because the business is not doing as well as the employer "hoped" that it would. Such an employer is likely to be able to jump through all of the hoops for an RSMS visa. He can demonstrate that he has advertised the job locally to no avail. DIAC don't spot the situation where the reason why the employer can't drum up any interest locally is either because he is known locally as the Employer From Hell and/or a local knows full well that the business is more ropey than the employer would like to make out. A migrant in another country who has simply been interviewed on the phone once or twice simply isn't going to spot the weaknesses that would be obvious to a local worker. Plus your OH is a Fibrous Plasterer. 9/10 of the other Fibrous Plasterers in Oz work as self employed subbies. A local will not risk tying himself to an employer who might not be as good as he (the employer) claims for 2 years' worth of work.

• Where the employer is a decent, good-hearted character instead of our dodgy friend in the example above, he is unlikely to want to risk dragging a migrant half-way round the planet for a situation that the employer knows is less certain than both sides would like it to be.

In both of the above situations, a GSM visa would actually suit both sides a lot better than employer-nomination would suit them, which is why the points system and independent skilled migration were invented in the first place, I strongly suspect. I believe that the Minister should get off his ideological jag that employer-sponsored migration is Nirvana for both the employer and the employee because that is actually a completely false premise for the majority of the businesses in Oz, which tend to be very small businesses, just as they are in the UK as well.

You want to move to QLD, I gather. Why QLD particularly, Lesley? Do you have close family in QLD or something? I ask because if there is no particular "pull" towards QLD, it is not a State that I would consider if I were a skilled tradie. I reckon that for tradies, the main futures for them will be north of Perth in WA and in SA, plus perhaps the NT though most Britons would not head for the NT.

If there is no particular "pull" towards QLD then I would change the whole game plan if I were you. The construction industry is said to be in the doldrums in QLD at present and likely to remain so for the foreseeable future, apparently, plus (as Alan Collett has said) the population of south east QLD has been growing too rapidly for anybody to trust it in recent years.

Unemployment around Brisbane is said to be high and a good 50% of the deckhands doing semi-skilled or unskilled work on the workboats on the NW Shelf are from QLD according to Tim (who used to do Site Admin on here.) Tim is a Naval Architect/engineer and he is in charge of the marine end of one of the NW Shelf projects. Because he is on the workboats himself a lot of the time, he gets chatting with the deckies and similar. They have told him that they are Queenslanders who put up with FIFO from Brisbane to Karratha because there is no work for them around Brisbane. They are Aussies and they can earn far more money as deckies on the NW Shelf workboats than they can earn by doing equally menial jobs in their home State. Tim hates being stuck on the workboats, which are out of sight of land most of the time, but he's doing it for the money as well. He is simply able to earn far more money than a deckie, but Tim has far higher job-expectations as well.

If you have family in QLD then obviously I can understand your wish to go there. The Minister doesn't share your enthusiasm, though, and unless Fibrous Plasterer appears on QLD's SMP, I suspect that Jacob Reinders doesn't share your enthusiasm either.

Cheers

Gill

hi gill

i was of the understanding the smp was a 4 year plan, with some flexibility, whilst you say that qld building industry is in the doldrums a the moment, i find it hard to believe trades wont be some part of qld's smp,

my reason being, if you think of the migration system as a train, once the engine starts to move it still takes the last carriage a good while to follow,this is why i believe qld will want to include some trades for when growth starts again,

regards jackster

Guest bindog1uk
Hi Lesley

Cheers

Gill

Good morning Gill, thank you so much for your help it is greatly appriecated, good of you to take the time to help people.

We don't have family in Queensland, but did a recky Dec08 and just loved the place, could visualise ourselves living there. But if there are no jobs then there is no point, the idea is to make a better life for yourself, not sell the property here and live off the money to keep yourself over there.

I have phoned Paul at work this morning and told him of your advise, put it to him that we would be better of in W.A, there he already has a friend and he also know Bootco who is also heading that way, left it with him to think about.

If we decided to make the change to W.A do we then need to apply for W.A. S.S. or if his job is on the SMP do we still need S.S. I believe W.A S.S. is still taking a long time to process, how will that be affected if tradies are on W.A. SMP, moving to cat 2, will S.S. be processed faster too.

Many thanks, Lesley

Hi John

Originally, DIAC insisted that the SMPs would be ready for publication on 1st July and DIAC intended that all of them should be published on that date.

1st July came and went but nothing happened as promised (which is becoming predictable with DIAC.)

DIAC now say that they expect the SMPs to be ready for publication "during the second half of 2010." It might simply be that the MoUs cannot be entered into whilst the Fed Govt is in caretaker mode. However, for several weeks there has been a rumour that DIAC and the States are miles apart about the methodology that each State is supposed to use whilst formulating its SMP.

My suspicion is that the SMPs are nowhere near ready, that DIAC can't progress them until after the Election anyway, and that "second half of 2010" could easily mean 1st Jan 2011, because the half-year would be the next most obvious target date for the spin doctors to seize on.

DIAC know perfectly well what all the different States have been saying on their own websites. My suspicion is that DIAC's latest announcement about the timescale has been designed to hint that nobody should expect to see an SMP any time soon....

Cheers

Gill

I agree with you on this point Gill.

With so many changes and now an election, I suspect the SMPs are still a long way away.

With this in mind it makes the latest Priority Processing directive very interesting when you consider that:

· Priority 1 ENS and RSMS are processed in completely different areas to other GSM applications;

· Priority 2 SMPs do not yet exist;

· Therefore, priority 3 (all SOL applications) are really the top of the list for ASPC and BSPC;

· Furthermore, because the ENS/RSMS processing centers are receiving so many applications, we may see Priority 3 applications already in the queue, being processed faster than priority 1 applications.

Only time will tell.

Hi ABA,

Peter (ptlabs) has just posted a thread confirming that Victoria have delayed their SMP till September.

The thread is here:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/91088-vic-smp-delay-due-federal-elections.html

Cheers

Nigel

Ahmad has also reported similar, reported to him in an email from Tasmania,

Heres the link

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/91077-few-answers-tasmania.html

2 states now confirming being september the earliest we can expect them!!!! Aaaarrrggghhhh!!!!

Sarah

Guest JK2510
Good morning Gill, thank you so much for your help it is greatly appriecated, good of you to take the time to help people.

We don't have family in Queensland, but did a recky Dec08 and just loved the place, could visualise ourselves living there. But if there are no jobs then there is no point, the idea is to make a better life for yourself, not sell the property here and live off the money to keep yourself over there.

I have phoned Paul at work this morning and told him of your advise, put it to him that we would be better of in W.A, there he already has a friend and he also know Bootco who is also heading that way, left it with him to think about.

If we decided to make the change to W.A do we then need to apply for W.A. S.S. or if his job is on the SMP do we still need S.S. I believe W.A S.S. is still taking a long time to process, how will that be affected if tradies are on W.A. SMP, moving to cat 2, will S.S. be processed faster too.

Many thanks, Lesley

Hi,

WA processing time for a WA SS is currently 4-5 months!! I have read in PIO that all the WA SSs will be finalised by end july 2010!! So in theory the wait will be alot shorter as theyve closed SS applications. Trades are in demand in WA

Guest rpkbuviki

Hi All

Please help me to find the info stating 176 family sponsorship can't be changed to 176 smp/state sponsorship in due course. I tried reading all the changes info in DIAC and can't find this piece. So Please help me if I'm missing something :confused:

:daydreaming:Rpkbuviki

OZ Day Dreamer

Hi Claireg and Ozzieland

Um. Not quite. Subclasses 175 and 176 are both in Class VE. The technical rule is that you apply for a visa in a particular Class, not for the narrower subclass. The CO must consider your eligibility for all of the subclasses of visa within that particular Class. This is what made switching around possible for visa applications that were lodged before 1st July 2010.

On 1st July 2010, DIAC changed the rules for applications made on or after 1st July 2010. However DIAC have been careful to stress that they have not imposed this change retrospectively. It does not apply to visa applications that were lodged prior to 1st July.

So Claire is OK - she can swop, just as you have said.

Cheers

Gill

Archived