GSM Changes - Some FAQs

Alan Collett

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Alan! That's really good news for us that we could potentially shift onto CAT2 with the minimum of fuss - particularly as I hear the QLD SMP is nearly ready.

One further question though... my OH's Skills Assessment was done using the ASCO code. Will they map these across? His code 2231-79 (.NET) would seem to map across to several ANZCO codes.

Thanks,

Nicky

Guest bindog1uk

Hi Alan, regarding Queensland SMP, our agent holds out little hope of tradies jobs being on it, what are your thoughts on this. Many thanks Lesley

Really not sure, Lesley.

QLD is growing quickly - too quickly for some. I fear the politics of a growing population in SE QLD might enter into the decision making process.

Maybe sponsorship for the 475 visa will be the only pathway - which will compel applicants to live in a regional area of the State for at least a couple of years before applying for permanent residency.

We're all waiting for the SMPs to be published ... if it is frustrating for us as advisors it must be doubly so for you.

Best regards.

Guest bindog1uk

I think most of these problems would have been solved if they had taken on more staff in the proccessing of applicants, so people would have got visa's quicker and there wouldn't be a huge backlog of people, to which they change the goalposts every five minutes. In other words get them in deal with them quicker and get them out, seems a fairer that way and people know exactly where they are, if they don't want you, you know straight away, think we could all cope with that better than this nightmare. Lesley

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Alan

1. Thanks very much indeed for making this second thread - it has saved me the bother of making it myself!

2. I appreciate that you don't know for sure, but why have the SMPs been delayed indefinitely? Is it because the Fed Govt lacks the legal capacity to enter into an MoU whilst it is in caretaker mode? Or is it because the negotiations with the State Governments have become deadlocked and so DIAC reckon that it will take some time to get the State Governments to return to the party?

Cheers & thanks

Gill

Hi Gill.

I asked DIAC about the MoU's too. The advice was as follows:

State Migration Plans will be in the form of MOUs. The details of the MOUs are not intended to be made available to the public as they are agreements between the Commonwealth and the relevant state or territory. However, the occupations contained with the MOU will be made available on the relevant jurisdictions website. They may also include additional information drawn from the MOU should they choose to do so.

I appreciate that this doesn't answer your questions, save to note that the MoUs are not for public consumption. As to their status - I am afraid I am not sure.

Best regards.

Hi Alan

1. Thanks very much indeed for making this second thread - it has saved me the bother of making it myself!

2. I appreciate that you don't know for sure, but why have the SMPs been delayed indefinitely? Is it because the Fed Govt lacks the legal capacity to enter into an MoU whilst it is in caretaker mode? Or is it because the negotiations with the State Governments have become deadlocked and so DIAC reckon that it will take some time to get the State Governments to return to the party?

Cheers & thanks

Gill

Hi Gill,

I may have missed something, but where does it mention that the SMP's have been delayed indefinitely? I cant recall reading this at all.

Cheers,

John:hug::hug::hug:

Guest seattle

Hi Alan,

Thakns for information.

I realized that people who lodged applications before 1st July 2010 have more opportunities (no matter 175 and 176). Just wait for SMPs, find occupation in any SMP, get sponsorship according to State Migration Plan and jump to category 2, which not so crowded.

Am I correct?

Hi Gill,

I may have missed something, but where does it mention that the SMP's have been delayed indefinitely? I cant recall reading this at all.

Cheers,

State migration plans will be developed by state/territory governments in consultation with the department. They will include occupations that are in demand in each individual state and territory. State migration plans are currently being developed and are expected to come into effect during the second half of 2010.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...-july-2010.pdf have a look on top of page 3

State migration plans will be developed by state/territory governments in consultation with the department. They will include occupations that are in demand in each individual state and territory. State migration plans are currently being developed and are expected to come into effect during the second half of 2010.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...-july-2010.pdf have a look on top of page 3

Hi Houciaus2010,

Cheers for this, but I still cant find any indication that the SMP's have been delayed indefinitely as Gill stated.

Cheers,

John:hug:

Hi Houciaus2010,

Cheers for this, but I still cant find any indication that the SMP's have been delayed indefinitely as Gill stated.

Cheers,

John:hug:

Hi John,

From I understood Diac says that Smp would be released on the second half of 2010 ,this means there is no exact date of the publication (maybe on september,october....or even 31th december!!) there is no definite date! it's a kind of game between the federal government and the states...and applicants pay the bill!!

Hi Alan,

I am now patiently awaiting WA to release their SMP, to hopefully enable a switch regarding my GSM visa application from 176 Family Sponsorship.

I understand that my nominated occupation needs to match ( precisely ) with the SMP as HR Manager. Pity that we can't have any influence on what goes on the SMP!!

For a start I can think of several definitions for HR eg People, Labour, Workforce to name a few. Also for Manager eg Planner, Organiser, Executive, Advisor, Consultant, Strategist to name a few.

Moreover I could list probably as many as over one hundred different occupations that could be included within the HR department of a very large corporation.

As your colleague has indicated we can't do anything until we see the WA SMP list. Only then can we stop theorising and have some hard facts to work on.

It should only be a couple of weeks until then, so here's hoping HR Manager is on it and we can proceed from there.

Best Regards

Gary

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill,

Cheers,

Hi John

Originally, DIAC insisted that the SMPs would be ready for publication on 1st July and DIAC intended that all of them should be published on that date.

1st July came and went but nothing happened as promised (which is becoming predictable with DIAC.)

DIAC now say that they expect the SMPs to be ready for publication "during the second half of 2010." It might simply be that the MoUs cannot be entered into whilst the Fed Govt is in caretaker mode. However, for several weeks there has been a rumour that DIAC and the States are miles apart about the methodology that each State is supposed to use whilst formulating its SMP.

My suspicion is that the SMPs are nowhere near ready, that DIAC can't progress them until after the Election anyway, and that "second half of 2010" could easily mean 1st Jan 2011, because the half-year would be the next most obvious target date for the spin doctors to seize on.

DIAC know perfectly well what all the different States have been saying on their own websites. My suspicion is that DIAC's latest announcement about the timescale has been designed to hint that nobody should expect to see an SMP any time soon....

Cheers

Gill

Guest dragsterwish
Hi John,

From I understood Diac says that Smp would be released on the second half of 2010 ,this means there is no exact date of the publication (maybe on september,october....or even 31th december!!) there is no definite date! it's a kind of game between the federal government and the states...and applicants pay the bill!!

Hi John & Houciaus, to be fair to DIAC, if we put ourselves on their shoe, we would also have to publicly state that the SMPs would be out in within a time period (e.g. second half 2010) because the SMPs of different States may be released in different time depending on their stages of approval. Thus, they can't commit that all SMPs would be released by ...say Sept.... else it would look really bad on them (though already so!!! haa..)

So, they have to state the release date as a range rather than a fixed date.

Hi John & Houciaus, to be fair to DIAC, if we put ourselves on their shoe, we would also have to publicly state that the SMPs would be out in within a time period (e.g. second half 2010) because the SMPs of different stages may be released in different time depending on their stages of approval. Thus, they can't commit that all SMPs would be released by ...say Sept.... else it would look really bad on them (though already so!!! haa..)

So, they have to state the release date as a range rather than a fixed date.

Sounds realistic :GEEK:

Guest dragsterwish
yesd it dose but still leaves us all hanging:eek:

Yes it does leave us all hanging like monkeys awaiting the DIAC to dish out the SMP bananas!

Guest bindog1uk
Hi John

Originally, DIAC insisted that the SMPs would be ready for publication on 1st July and DIAC intended that all of them should be published on that date.

1st July came and went but nothing happened as promised (which is becoming predictable with DIAC.)

DIAC now say that they expect the SMPs to be ready for publication "during the second half of 2010." It might simply be that the MoUs cannot be entered into whilst the Fed Govt is in caretaker mode. However, for several weeks there has been a rumour that DIAC and the States are miles apart about the methodology that each State is supposed to use whilst formulating its SMP.

My suspicion is that the SMPs are nowhere near ready, that DIAC can't progress them until after the Election anyway, and that "second half of 2010" could easily mean 1st Jan 2011, because the half-year would be the next most obvious target date for the spin doctors to seize on.

DIAC know perfectly well what all the different States have been saying on their own websites. My suspicion is that DIAC's latest announcement about the timescale has been designed to hint that nobody should expect to see an SMP any time soon....

Cheers

Gill

Good morning Gill, if this is the case do you then suspect that proccessing will commence for cat3 whilst we are waiting for SMP's or do you think they will yet again delay. Many thanks Lesley

Good morning Gill, if this is the case do you then suspect that proccessing will commence for cat3 whilst we are waiting for SMP's or do you think they will yet again delay. Many thanks Lesley

Category 1 applications are becoming increasingly significant in number - that alone might mean that cat 3 applications are placed on hold, although what all the officers at the ASPC and the BSPC are to do in the meantime is a mystery to me.

Best regards.

Guest Bootco
Category 1 applications are becoming increasingly significant in number - that alone might mean that cat 3 applications are placed on hold, although what all the officers at the ASPC and the BSPC are to do in the meantime is a mystery to me.

Best regards.

And there was me thinking that as I'm now cat 3, someone at DIAC is blowing the dust off my file as we speak!

Archived