sports in schools

Guest brasilcon

Guest brasilcon

hello,

I haver heard that australians are sports mad! What are the sports they learn in school?

Tennis i suppose?! Any one knows if students can choose wht sport to learn or if is compulsory?

thanks.

Guest wardy

All the schools I have looked at Brisbane and Cairns areas offer much the same as here, an odd 1 may offer surfing or sailing, and swimming carnivals are popular but not all schools have swimming pools, not seen any offering Tennis though maybe because we are mainly looking for schools that can give my lads football and cricket.

The lads are insisting that their school must have at least football or they are not coming easy pleased my 2.

Kaye x

Am aware that most sports are compulsory, pretty much like here really although some do offer alternatives that have to be paid for. Best way to find out will be to find schools in area you are looking at and look at their individual websites. The australian education website will point you in the right direction.

The school my son goes to does all the normal sports you'd expect ,plus swimming,Touch Football,Newcombe ball,Afl,and Basketball,the only time you pay a small fee is if they hire a coach to take them to a tournament or match.The after school clubs (which you do pay for)around here include Scouts,Cadets,Tennis,Pony club,Martial arts etc,,there really is enough to keep them busy every night of the week if you can afford it.hope this helps abit

Cal x

My daughter is in year 7 they get offerred a variety of sports each term and they can choose what they want to do in addition to playing other sports. She's even had a go at tag rugby which she enjoyed, there's AFL, cricket, soccer, hockey - all sorts really.

Ali

My daughter is 13 and here in NSW the girls do an assortment of sports including

beach ball/volley ball/and other beach activites - golf -soccer-tennis-cricket -hockey-netball -surfing - swimming and ICE SKATING and this is just at school !!!! (part of their lessons)

all i remeber doing is running round the b&%&&&% field in 4ft of snow !!!

• 2 months later...
Guest kevinboomer

Hello Cal!

Really worried about what school to send my kids 2 but your kids school sounds just what we're looking for, please could you tell me their website address? Although just writing this eagerly realised your kids may be older than mine (jaz 10, callum 8) We're hoping to be in brizzy by early next year just waiting for a visa's to be submitted by consultant (OH had visa skill accepted).

Plus Jaz is in year 6! I read somewhere that primary goes up to year 7, is that right?

Lisa xx

Archived