Private health care required on 457 visa - Any recommendations?

Guest ver

Right...

along with

1) finding a place to live (schools, commutable, affordable... blah blah)

2) sussing out what work would be like for the missus (a pharmacist if anyone has a job for her!)

3) is working out the requirements for the 457 application...

It says I need to provide proof that I have health insurance. I thought I could be eligible and could enrol on Medicare being from the UK but seems like I may not be plus I can't enrol until I have landed.

Now I think my options are:

1) take out cover here in uk for travel insurance? (that covers the requirements for the 457 - painful? would need ot find out what minimum cover is required....)

2) take out some private healthcare from a company in aus.

some links that might be useful

MBF: Overseas visitors health insurance options for Australia

HBF: Overseas Visitors | Health Insurance Cover for Overseas Visitors | HBF

Medibank Private: Overseas Visitors Insurance & Visitors Cover - Medibank Private

HCF: Private health insurance from HCF health cover fund

HBA: Travel, Work, Study Health Insurance for Overseas Visitors to Australian - HBA Health Insuranc

Now.... I need to attach proof to the application (along with all the other documents!) some have a waiting period eg medibank which is $210 per month for family of 4 on the basic cover. This period can be 2 moths to 6 months depending, this is only for the period by which you can start claiming for treatment and not the time I have to wait for cover?

How have others gone about attaching proof of cover? If I have to wait for them to process my application before submitting my visa app it might delay things!

Any advice appreciated!

Guest Hearne_Family

We are with Frank as they were by far the cheapest, medicare covers us for most things we need, also look into Ambulance cover as well.

Terry.

thanks for the info guys..

I'm looking at going on my own initially and family to follow after, so will do what is necessary to get the application underway and then see which cover/options are best later.

Is that Frank

this site http://www.frankhealthinsurance.com.au

Do you have to be living in aus to apply? seems to cater for local aus residents??

How do you go about getting the proof of cover for the application?

• 2 months later...
Guest Shane&Lynn
As you're from the UK you qualify for the RHCA (Reciprocal HealthCare Agreement) which is "better" than standard Medicare apparently and qualifies as health insurance on a 457 application.

When I applied for my 457, I attached a note to say that I would be applying for RHCA agreement as soon as the visa is granted (chicken and egg scenario) and it was accepted.

I actually did get health insurance later - I went with Medibank MyOptions - you get unlimited general dental.

HTH

Just wondering if you applied for the 457 before or after the changes to health insurance requirement in September 2009.

Thanks, Shane

Guest Shane&Lynn
It was after, January this year.

I was already on a 457 which was running out so had to get a new one.

I'd already let my RHCA Medicare card expire (!!!!) so went to the office to get a new one. They'd only issue one up to the end of my visa and not after, but they said they could issue a temporary one for a month after it expires. Bureaucrats!

Anyway, I scanned in the copy of the temporary card and put in the notes that I'd get a new RHCA card when the visa is granted and it all went through.

Not exactly the same circumstances, but shows that it is accepted.

Thanks for that. May as well try and save some money somewhere. All I seem to be doing at the moment is pay out hand over fist.

Did you get or can you get the RHCA card in the uk?

Shane

:notworthy:

• 1 year later...
As you're from the UK you qualify for the RHCA (Reciprocal HealthCare Agreement) which is "better" than standard Medicare apparently

Not sure where you got that from, the RHCA covers fewer things than standard medicare.

it does however fulfil the 457 requirements, so only need to show medical insurance for the first couple of days for the 457 application.

Guest westozlou

Hi, we just got a worldwide family travel insurance policy online for our family. was about £40, which immigration were happy with. It has recently expired as I forgot to renew (duh!) but as I was investigating cover I found out that medicare reciprocal cover (which we have) is sufficient. A lot of the private health companies here claim u need private insurance as not covered by medicare (which is rubbish as I am having a baby and have been able to claim some money back on scans, blood tests and I am goign into hospital as a public pt) and the cover is much higher than for those who have pr. So now I am saving myself some money and just going with hbf extras who are doing 4 extras for $4.40 a week i think it is which covers dental and optical. Hope that helps.

Archived