NSW State Migration Plan

George Lombard

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sparrow

MIGRANTS TO STATE’S NEEDS – BIOCHEMISTS, FITTERS AND TRADE TEACHERS

Tuesday, 25 January 2011

Premier Kristina Keneally today announced the NSW Government will increase the number of migrants that it nominates to live and work in the State each year – and has expanded the number of skilled professions to 138.

"This is about attracting the world’s best and brightest to NSW," Ms Keneally said.

"It is about matching up the needs of the State to the Federal Government’s immigration policies."

New skills include biochemists and scientists and for rural and regional NSW: trade teachers, pharmacists, toolmakers and fitters as well as cabinet makers.

NSW will increase the Federal immigration skilled migrants intake by 15 per cent to 1750 under the State Migration Plan.

The Premier made the announcement with Minister for Citizenship, John Hatzistergos at an Australia Day event celebrating NSW’s culturally diverse community.

Member for Liverpool, Paul Lynch, Member for Auburn, Barbara Perry and Member for Canterbury, Linda Burney also attended the celebrations.

The State Migration Plan outlines the number of skilled migrants nominated by NSW to have their visa processing fast tracked by the Commonwealth each year.

The NSW Government will add an extra 18 occupations to the Skilled Occupation List to better meet demand for skills in Sydney and regional NSW.

This brings the total number of occupations on the NSW State Migration List to 138.

New occupations added to the NSW State Migration Plan include:

For regional New South Wales:

Vocational Education Teacher (Non Trades);

• Vocational Education Teacher (Trades);

• Corporate General Manager;

• Production Manager (Manufacturing);

• Pharmacist Hospital;

• Pharmacist Retail;

• Chef;

• Baker;

• Pastry chef;

• Fitter (General);

• Metal Machinist (First Class);

• Toolmaker; and

• Cabinetmaker.

For Sydney:

Financial Investment Adviser;

• Insurance Broker;

• Solicitor;

• Life Scientist; and

• Biochemist.

"The State Migration Plan allows the Government to nominate skilled migrants in occupations where demand cannot be met locally," Ms Keneally said.

"The State Migration Plan gives NSW the flexibility to nominate skilled migrants in a broader range of occupations than those currently offered on the Skilled Occupation List and will further strengthen our economy.

"Since March 2009, more than 182,000 jobs have been created in NSW and the expansion of the NSW State Migration Plan will continue to help our economy go from strength to strength."

The NSW Government will now sign a Memorandum of Understanding with the Commonwealth Department of Immigration and Citizenship to formalise the arrangements.

Minister for Citizenship, John Hatzistergos said: "Increasing our annual intake of skilled migrants will ensure NSW continues to attract workers in high demand industries, such as finance, pharmaceuticals and biotechnology research."

"While State and Territory Governments have always been able to nominate applicants for the purposes of state-sponsored migration, the introduction of the NSW Plan will improve the targeting of skills that are relevant and in demand in NSW.

"The expansion of the Migration Plan is yet another example of NSW supporting the many benefits a multicultural society brings to the economy, education system and community life.

"The State Migration Plan also complements our strategic VET, skills and tertiary education plans in addressing the skill needs of the NSW economy."

The NSW State Migration Plan will now be forwarded to the Commonwealth for formal agreement.

Background:

The NSW State Migration Plan formalises state-sponsored skilled migration arrangements between NSW and the Commonwealth.

• The Plan ensures that NSW can access new provisions introduced under the Commonwealth Migration Act 1958.

• These provisions allow fast-track visa processing for skilled migrants sponsored by NSW to meet the identified skills needs of our State’s economy.

• The State Migration Plan provides a more targeted approach to skilled migration by allowing NSW to nominate highly skilled migrants in occupations that are not restricted to the new Skilled Occupation List (SOL) used for visa applications under the General Skilled Migration program.

• The NSW State Migration Plan includes 138 occupations, and 18 of these occupations are off-list and are not available under the Skilled Occupation List

Guest AustrAnglian

Thanks Sparrow - great find. Here's the link directly to the media release for anyone else who's interested.

http://www.crc.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/15806/110125_State_Migration_Plan.pdf

Still no sign of movement on the official NSW website. Nice to see only discussion of expansion of sponsored occupations - no mention of any being dropped so encouraging for us who already have SS.

Guest lobsters

Fantastic news!!! Ok, so when are we going to see some movement on the NSW website now that the occupations have more or less been confirmed via the Media Release?

where is our cazhoney..........

Hi sweetie! :wubclub:

I am here! :biggrin:

I am right now spending 2 weeks in Natal, at the beach....For those who don´t know this place, please come and visit....Lot´s of sun, beautiful beaches, nice and warm ocean...:yes:

My internet connection is very poor here. So I am rarely checking my emails, but today I had this really great surprise when I received your post!

So, tell me: when will I be a Cat 2?

Carolina

at last it seems like there is light at the end of the tunnel for those of us with NSW state sponsorship.

Hi Ben!!!

you are back!!!

I sent you a PM years ago.....thought you gave up...

Are you happy with the news? I am very happy for you. We are still having a barbecue in Oz....I´ll make you some "caipirinhas"....:wubclub:

PLease, join my thread: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/103279-new-south-wales-ss-where-you-now-3.html

Carolina

Guest sparrow
Hi sweetie! :wubclub:

I am here! :biggrin:

I am right now spending 2 weeks in Natal, at the beach....For those who don´t know this place, please come and visit....Lot´s of sun, beautiful beaches, nice and warm ocean...:yes:

My internet connection is very poor here. So I am rarely checking my emails, but today I had this really great surprise when I received your post!

So, tell me: when will I be a Cat 2?

Carolina

Thank you cazhoney for invitation .......Natal is beautiful i know ....the city of sun....the safest capital city of Brazil ...sure i will come once....hope minister is still bussy with immigration detention and asylum seekers issues any way we will move to cat 2 very soon....thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AustrAnglian

There seems to be some activity on the NSW website. They had previously stated to look at the "What's New" page on the Migration section for details about their SMP. The What's New page now requires a password to get in and has disappeared completely from the menu links on the other pages. Maybe this is just a website glitch but fingers crossed they are updating the page at the moment. Good luck everyone.

https://www.business.nsw.gov.au/live-and-work-in-nsw/visa-and-migration/whats-new

Guest lobsters

The summary of Skilled Regional Occupations has been updated too. Of the approx. 110 occupations now only 80 are left. The Southern Inland region is also no longer inviting applications for sponsorship. It seems the Skilled Sponsored Occupations list has been left intact.

There is definately activity in NSW, see this link: Twitter / Aus Migration Guide: Hear it first at AMG: NSW ...

:wink:

hey, hope there is some good news out there for all .I applied way back in 2009 and hope there is some light for me .Applied as a vocational teacher [non trades] to the murrey region too.How long a wait is is going to be for the SMP to be released?keeping fingers crossed .:swoon:

Guest footprints
Well I don't know where I am in this rate race now.

I applied on the 7th May 2010 - 176 SS by NSW - just before the cut off. I am not on the new SOL - Financial adviser. So what are the chances I will be on the NSW SMP.... And if I am not will I ever get a refund on my application fees? And if I withdraw will they give me my money back?

Hi Cazanne, I have also applied as a Financial Adviser. I applied on the 13/02/2010. Please post if you have any movement in your case

• 2 weeks later...
There seems to be some activity on the NSW website. They had previously stated to look at the "What's New" page on the Migration section for details about their SMP. The What's New page now requires a password to get in and has disappeared completely from the menu links on the other pages. Maybe this is just a website glitch but fingers crossed they are updating the page at the moment. Good luck everyone.

https://www.business.nsw.gov.au/live-and-work-in-nsw/visa-and-migration/whats-new

HELLO THERE,

Please I like to know if nsw state migration plan has been signed indeed

No. Not yet.....:cry:

Thanks Cazhoney. Please do you know whether will be delays in considering and finalising applications from people from high risk countries. and is Brazil considered a high risk country?

Guest AustrAnglian
Thanks Cazhoney. Please do you know whether will be delays in considering and finalising applications from people from high risk countries. and is Brazil considered a high risk country?

Hi Koko, See the link below to an explanation of how to determine the low risk countries. Brazil is not classed as low risk so it is therefore high risk.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/50368-high-risk-vs-low-risk-countries-3.html#post451889

There is much speculation about whether low risk applicants get COs quicker and whether it takes less time to visa grant. There are HR applicants who have been subject to additional security checks but it doesn't seem to be all HR applicants from all countries, and many HR applicants get processed as quick as LR applicants from the same date. The only thing I can suggest from observing the Cat 2 and Cat 3 threads is that SOME HR applicants experience delays for extra checks. All the best.

Hi Koko

like Austranglian said, Brazil is considered as a high risk country. Where are you from?

If you look at Cat e thread, you will see that from 9 applicants that received COs this week, only 1 is from a HR country (and it´s a family sponsored visa). The other ones (all 175 and 176) are from LR coutries....coincidence? I don´t think so.

So, in my opinion, they do prefer getting applicants from LR countries. Also the police checks seem to take longer......:mad:

Hi Koko

like Austranglian said, Brazil is considered as a high risk country. Where are you from?

If you look at Cat e thread, you will see that from 9 applicants that received COs this week, only 1 is from a HR country (and it´s a family sponsored visa). The other ones (all 175 and 176) are from LR coutries....coincidence? I don´t think so.

So, in my opinion, they do prefer getting applicants from LR countries. Also the police checks seem to take longer......:mad:

Hi, I'm from Abuja, West Africa.

Anyway thanks for your info.

Archived