Hairdressers- Are they back on the SOL?

mr luvpants

Hi John,

I was told by a very kind agent on here last night that - Yes hairdressers are on the SOL - schedule 3 of the revised list - PHEW!!! ;0)

Which means that overseas hairdressers can apply under the new regs - but I think there is further info to come on individual states, so I'm waiting to see what comes out on 1st July, maybe just the demand lists - but fingers crossed there should be no change for us.

hth.

Lainey.

Hi John,

I was told by a very kind agent on here last night that - Yes hairdressers are on the SOL - schedule 3 of the revised list - PHEW!!! ;0)

Which means that overseas hairdressers can apply under the new regs - but I think there is further info to come on individual states, so I'm waiting to see what comes out on 1st July, maybe just the demand lists - but fingers crossed there should be no change for us.

hth.

Lainey.

Are you sure? I thought they were back but on Schedule 4 not Schedule 3. :unsure:

Being on Sch 4 means that one can apply for GSM so long as there is state sponsroship in place. If they are on Sch 3 and I have just missed it on the list, then no SS required.

Guest tomtom

i think you will find as pumpkin has said hairdressing is not on the new sol. There is no mention of it on schedule 3 only schedule 4 which relates to state sponsorship.

All confusing

If on sch 4 but means ss required. Is this pre or post 1.7.10. Those hairdressers with SS already pre 01.07.2010 ?? does this mean all ok if ss rcd and already lodged.

Some clarification would be appreciated.

Lainey

Read the same link you posted now. There was a confusion which has now been cleared.

All confusing

If on sch 4 but means ss required. Is this pre or post 1.7.10. Those hairdressers with SS already pre 01.07.2010 ?? does this mean all ok if ss rcd and already lodged.

Some clarification would be appreciated.

The new announcements are for going forward.

I have just read the thread all the way through, a couple of the earlier posts are misleading and this is corrected later.

Hairdressing is on Schedule 4 which means it if an occupation eligible for a GSM visa with state sponsorship but not without.

Guest Gollywobbler
can anyone point me in the right direction please???

JOHN

Hi John

There has been endless confusion about this for the last several hours!

What happened was that one of the agents intended to publish the link to the new SOL. He posted the wrong link. The link that he provided was something to do with trades skills and people who have been studying in Australia - which is completely irrelevant to Ash!

Please study the information that George Lombard has provided on this thread:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/88804-new-sol-announced.html

Hairdresser is not in Schedule 3, so Ash would not be able to apply for an sc 175 visa even if she can get enough points.

She would be able to apply for a State sponsored sc 176 visa provided that one or more of the States includes Hairdresser on its new State Migration Plan and Ash obtains sponsorship from one of the relevant States.

It is very unlikely that Hairdresser will be on the SMP for QLD. I reckon that it might be on the SMPs for SA, WA and the NT.

SA have big plans to expand their mines. Olympic Dam is a uranium mine about 500 kms NW of Adelaide. The nearest town is Roxby Downs, about 15kms from the mine. Presently I think it has about 15,000 inhabitants. Mainly they live in Roxby Downs because at least one member of the family has a permanent job at the mine. If the mine expansion happens then more permanent staff will be needed. In that event, Roxby Downs will expand and will then need more Hairdressers as well as more of everyone else.

I think I read that BHP Billiton (a multinational) owns the Olympic Dam mine. Krudd was threatening to hit all the mining concerns with his new Mining SuperTax. I gather from an Aussie weekly e-mail that I get, apparently the argument is that the Government owns all of the minerals under the earth or under the seabed in Oz. Therefore the Government wants to tax the profits that the mining giants are making, via some sort of SuperTax.

Krudd is also yesterday's news. It seems that his successor as PM, Julia Gillard (whose OH - one Tim Mathieson - is a Hairdresser apparently) is likely to press ahead with this Mining Tax but it seems that rather more finesse is expected from her than from her predecessor. BHP say that if the new Tax is imposed then they will not expand the Olympic Dam mine.

However the Federal Government has no interest in preventing Aussies from moving from places of high unemployment to places like Roxby Downs. The Aussies won't move to Roxby Downs unless they will be sure of (inter alia) finding enough Hairdressers in the place. The Government of SA can trade on that fact if it wants to insist on putting Hairdressers onto its SMP.

Julia Gillard's barnet, by the way, is just plain strange. It looks like a wig. Her hair does not move at all, no matter what. I don't think they make hairspray which is strong enough for the task but yacht varnish would do the job and it lasts for weeks, in my experience of trying to get blobs of it out of my own hair. Presumably Tim Mathieson is responsible for the weirdness of Gillard's hairdo.

Loads of huge mining-type projects are also happening or are due to happen in WA. They are saying that they will need 400,000 new, skilled migrants over the next 10 years in order to deal with all the various projects.

If they want Hairdressers than I think that both SA and WA should be able to make out a case for putting them on their respective SMPs.

The NT is simply short of bodies. Chronically and seriously short of them. It is impossible to get bodies to consider moving to the NT unless they are guaranteed to have enough other bodies to (inter alia) deal with their hair.

The SMPs are due to be published in a week's time, on 1st July 2010. A fortnight ago, there was a reliable rumour that DIAC and at least some of the State Governments were unable to agree about what methodology should be used in order to formulate the SMPs. If they can't agree on the methodology then they have no chance of agreeing the occupations either. I think we will just have to wait to see whether or not the SMPs are published on time.

However whilst she is on a WH visa, Ash will have the opportunity to travel around Oz and since she also has plenty of experience, she should be able to get jobs doing Hairdressing, so it is probable that one of her employers will agree to sponsor her for a visa in the end.

That is as much as anyone knows at the moment.

Cheers

Gill

Guest paulandtara

It is very unlikely that Hairdresser will be on the SMP for QLD. I reckon that it might be on the SMPs for SA, WA and the NT.

Hi Gill, thanks for clearing up the confusion!

I thought I had read a post from you, although I am now doubting myself, saying that a contact of yours had seen a draft of the WA SMP and hairdressers weren't on it. Has something changed or did I just read this wrong?!!

Archived