UK Spouse/Settlement Visa

Guest MXP78

Basically the decision was made that they think we would need public funds. Which obviously I totally disagree with. I had a letter from my parents saying we could live with them, I included their mortgage statement as well. On top of that we had 6000 GBP savings. I think it's a disgrace and hopefully they will overturn this decision soon.

Michaell

And neither of you would have jobs in UK yet, would you? I have about the same amount in savings as you! Oh dear... I'm worried. It's crazy because there are loads and loads of people who are successful without that much money saved. Look at stories on immigration.com or ukresident.com if you need evidence! I've seen lots with just £2500 or so.

The hotline person I spoke to said they wanted us to have enough to live on for a year. A year!? why would anyone need that much? I've lived in the UK for four years and never relied on public funds - we don't qualify anyway. It's so ridiculous.:arghh:

Fingers and toes crossed for you, best of luck with the appeal.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest michael29

Neither of us have jobs yet but I have been applying and actively looking for work. I have explained in my letter that my job has finished so both myself and my wife are not working now, so we are spending money which we had saved for the UK. It's just a joke! I have never claimed any benefits in my life.

I just hope they can see some sense and overturn this decision ASAP! I sent of my original application 18th May, I never imagined it would have taken so long. I am disgusted and have complained, at the end of the day it's just a waste of time. Anyways that's enough of my complaining.

good luck

Michael

One thing I thought of - did you mention that case that says you must qualify if you have £103ish left over after paying council tax and rent for the week? It's case law, but I forget the name of case. Basically, this is the UK benefit level, so it's what the govt itself says you can live on. If you're not paying rent or council tax, then £103 x 52 = £5356, ie, if you have £6000 then you have enough to live on for a year. I would argue this point, I think that's the winner.

Guest michael29

I will have a look into that! that's for the info although I am not sure if I can send in any further info or evidence since it's already gone to appeal. I will keep you updated

thanks

Michael

Hi Guys,

Have been off the net for a couple of days but unfortunately have just checked my mail and no news....

I've actually just arrived in Canberra and I would so love to go knock on their door...

Sorry to hear your news Michael. I guess had we not decided to sell our house here we would have been in the same boat...

Good luck to everyone new. Day 47 and waiting.

KG1978 - I'm definately putting in a complaint - once I get my visa back!!!!

Necole

KNOCK on their door? :) You're polite. I'd be taking a roll or two of toilet paper!

Good luck though, hopefully you'll hear on Friday.

Michael, this is the link with the internal guidance on maintenance, see MAA4 specificially

Maintenance & Accommodation (MAA)

And the weekly income support level for 2010 is £102.75 a week for a couple. If you have children, it's slightly more.

Cheers,

Kate

Basically the decision was made that they think we would need public funds. Which obviously I totally disagree with. I had a letter from my parents saying we could live with them, I included their mortgage statement as well. On top of that we had 6000 GBP savings. I think it's a disgrace and hopefully they will overturn this decision soon.

Michaell

That is OUTRAGEOUS. If you had 600 pounds maybe I could understand but 6,000 with a letter from your parents saying you essentially have free accommodation should be more than enough. And besides when I got my visa back it said I am not allowed recourse to public funds! So regardless of how much money I have, I can't claim anything anyway.

Fingers crossed for you all. Especially the original posters who helped me through my wait :biggrin:

Morning everyone. No news!

But I did discover that visa fees are going up from November, so if you qualify for ILR now you might want to save yourself a few hundred pounds and get it:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/aboutus/fees-wms-ia/2010-autumn/wms.pdf?view=Binary

One-day ILR at the PEO is going to cost £1250 (up from £1095). :shocked: For what?!

Hey Guys,

I just got a phone call from the British consulate to confirm a question and they said the application is all fine and will be approved......

Ill keep you updated!!!!

Guest michael29

I can't believe the prices are going up!! that's unbelievable:( then again nothing suprises me anymore. Good news James! glad to hear some people are having some luck:) KG hopefully you will hear something very soon. Fingers crossed

Is it correct that it takes up to 28 days for a decision to be made on a appeal? I m hoping it won't take that long, I guess it depends on when someone actually looks at it:(

Michael

It was day 48.

I had a strange phone call a week ago from someone who said they were from the relocation agency I used. They were asking me about my work prospects in the UK and I explained that I am having a year off and can't by law work in the UK untill we are married. I hung up the phone and thought it was a strange phonecall and wondered why they would be asking me those questions.

It then dawned on me, would the consulate make trick phone calls????

Who knows but it was strange......

Anyway they said I will have our passports back next week. It was funny the man on the phone from the consulate was so casual about it, and probably doesn't realise the sleepless nights I have had for the last 2 and a half months with stress as I am sure everyone else here is experiencing!!!!

Hmm, I'd say it's more likely your agency also does employment and were trying to get themselves some more business. That's happened to me before in UK

Good luck with the move - hope the visa comes through with no mistakes and you're on your way soon.

Approved!

Your application has been approved and your documents will be despatched within 3 working days. Received today at 1:57pm but just picked up email...

Necole

Approved!

Your application has been approved and your documents will be despatched within 3 working days. Received today at 1:57pm but just picked up email...

Necole

That's awesome news! Congratulations! Been waiting for this post today. :wink: Hope it means next Friday will be my lucky day too.

All the best.

Kate

Gggggrrrrrr:arghh:, why did i get a phone call and not an email........ I was expecting an email, but was told our passports would be dispatched on Monday. He did have a question to ask about my application thats why he called but an email makes it more official and puts me at ease booking a flight out.......

Feel your frustration James...Not sure how I would have coped without written confirmation another weekend.

Hope all goes well.

Good luck Kate!

Morning everyone. No news!

But I did discover that visa fees are going up from November, so if you qualify for ILR now you might want to save yourself a few hundred pounds and get it:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/aboutus/fees-wms-ia/2010-autumn/wms.pdf?view=Binary

One-day ILR at the PEO is going to cost £1250 (up from £1095). :shocked: For what?!

Now this makes me angry that I qualified for ILR straight away but they never gave it to me. I hate to think what it will cost in another couple of years. Then there's also the fee to sit the KOL test before applying for the ILR...

My visa is approved! :biggrin:

Day 46.

Got the email at 9.42am - so stoked it was early in the day, I haven't slept for three nights worrying about it!

Giddy - any news? I'm sure it's not too far away for you now.

Good luck and thanks so much to everyone here - you've been a sanity saver. :notworthy:

xkate

Hi Necole,

How long did your application take to approve?

I am on Day 24 and its doing my nut in.

Am i right in saying they only count the working days?

Its doesnt seem that anyone is going over the 50 day mark, even though the ukba site gives some ludacrus figures.

I wish you all luck

Hi Necole,

How long did your application take to approve?

I am on Day 24 and its doing my nut in.

Am i right in saying they only count the working days?

Its doesnt seem that anyone is going over the 50 day mark, even though the ukba site gives some ludacrus figures.

I wish you all luck

Hi Moses,

Was 48 days for Necole, I think. Mine's just been approved on day 46. I think the earliest anyone here has got it was day 44. They are getting slightly better this month, now the July/August rush is over. And yeah, only working days count.

Good luck!

Guest michael29

Hi Guys,

Just to let you all know my appeal has been overturned:) I have just recieved the email now!! I cant' describe how relieved I am feeling. Thanks for all the help and support from everyone on this forum. Good luck to everyone and let's hope for more good news this week!!

Michael

Great news in the last week for quite a few people. Congratulations all of you!! My wife is on day 25 and I'm hoping we get some news in the next few weeks. I'm flying to London tomorrow - She's 22 weeks pregnant and we have a 9 month old son so I don't want us to be apart for too long! Hopefully things are speeding up at the High Commission!

Archived