UK Spouse/Settlement Visa

Guest MXP78

Guest Rollergirl86

No news for me yet - I can only estimate that I am on working day 31 or 32. (33 if they worked on Australia day which they probably didn't)

It's really hard to know what working day anyone is on because on the website they said weren't working 24th Dec - 4th January.... yet Ozgirl receieved her email saying her visa had been issued on the 24th dec and kc4846 and DannyT got their CO confirmation emails on the 2nd Dec. Also I guess it depends on each persons Case Worker and if they took extra time off over the holidays! So frustrating.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

;( I need to vent!! So I'll join in with you guys to also mention how frustrating this all is.. I did feel happier a day or two ago when I found this forum and some ppl said they got theirs on day 35, some on day 37 and so forth.. I was on day 35 before Oz day and thought that I could be getting an email(a good one!) any day. Now it's day 37 and I'm back to being an impatient little girl!

I think I'm more frustrated at the fact that we hired an Immigration lawyer from the UK to help us out with our case, he stupidly gave us the wrong info and told us to wait till mid November to apply as we intended to get married May 14. He confused the starting date of the visa to when I actually had to lodge in my application. SO he didn't take into account the time needed to get my biometrics or the time to send in my supporting documents. I arrived back from London in September and could have applied for it then!! Goes to show if you want to get something done properly, do it yourself!

Rollergirl86, I do remember reading that somewhere too, that they were closed for those days - so I guess I should take away 4 days from my count... so maybe I do have hope in getting my visa on the 35th day!! hehe

PLan B, I was also teary eyed this morning too... It's just on 3 weeks since I last saw my fiance too.. Hope you feel better soon!

I really should stop my whining now.. all I can say is, thank Jebus for this forum!

xx

Anyone else starting to hate weekends? I'm excited that it's a new week full of working days!

I got it!!!!! I got the infamous email this morning!!! After all my excitement I clicked on something else that I only saw it for 2 secs, I didn't see the word approved so was panicking I got one of those emails saying that my application was being sent back... but when I finally opened it properly, it was approved! I should receive my very hard earnt visa in 2-3 working days!!

Rollergirl, I'm sure yours won't be too long since your starting date was very close to mine.. You'll probably hear something this week!!

I really hope all of you who are waiting will be writing an email just like this one soon, I know how difficult it is and the strain of it all! And as one other post had said... there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Thanks everyone for posting, this forum was a saving grace!

Thanks

Kris

xx

Guest Rollergirl86
I got it!!!!! I got the infamous email this morning!!! After all my excitement I clicked on something else that I only saw it for 2 secs, I didn't see the word approved so was panicking I got one of those emails saying that my application was being sent back... but when I finally opened it properly, it was approved! I should receive my very hard earnt visa in 2-3 working days!!

Rollergirl, I'm sure yours won't be too long since your starting date was very close to mine.. You'll probably hear something this week!!

I really hope all of you who are waiting will be writing an email just like this one soon, I know how difficult it is and the strain of it all! And as one other post had said... there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Thanks everyone for posting, this forum was a saving grace!

Thanks

Kris

xx

Fantastic news!!! I'm really happy for you Kris and I'm so excited that I might here back this week!

Best of luck for your return to the Uk xxxxx

Guest Rollergirl86
My approval email came this morning too so hopefully that means that everyone here will be getting theirs today.

haha don't say that or I'll obsessively check my email all day! Maybe not today because we're a bit behind you guys but fingers crossed.

Congrats Danny :)

Congratulations KC and Danny! Fantastic news. Just curious how many days you were both at once you received the e-mail confirmation from the High Commission?

Rollergirl, I bet you are next and that the e-mail will come any day now!

I am at day 19. Getting confirmation about the visa seems so far away, especially when I speak to my husband and he has found a flat and is getting settled in. I agree that the weekends are the most tedious thing but I am trying to keep focussed on all the fun things I can do in Sydney that I won't be able to do in Blighty, like going to the beach or eating really good Asian food.

Guest Rollergirl86

I got my visa!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Your approved application will be despatched within 2 working days.

New Zealand applications may take 3 more days to arrive in the postal system before they can be tracked. NZ Post do not intercept packages before delivery."

Just woke up my wife in the middle of the night to let her know :D

Application Submitted: 25 November 2010

Case Officer (C/O) Email: 06 December 2010

Visa Granted: 01 February 2011

Best of luck to everyone

xx Olivia

Hi all

I am new to this forum and am in the same boat as the rest of you. Thank goodness I found this place!

I submitted my spousal visa application on 22 December 2010 and received an e-mail on 4 January confirming receipt of application. My husband left for the UK 3 weeks ago to start work.

I got the same e-mail as DannyT did, saying that they estimated that my visa would be processed in 15 working days. The e-mail also said: "Please note that we are unable to answer status questions enquiries unless we have exceeded the estimated processing time".

I called today to check where my visa was (being over 15 working days and no word from the High Commission) and basically got told that the 15 days "means nothing" and only applies to tourist visas, not settlement applications. The woman I spoke to was incredibly rude and told me to expect the whole process to take 12 weeks. I told them that it was incredibly misleading to put the 15 working days figure in there and she told me that it was probably a mistake, and that she would tell her supervisor for future applications not to put it in there.

What I really don't appreciate is paying $11 to make a simple inquiry and having to deal with very rude people.

Anyway, I have now been waiting 3 weeks... only 9 more to go, I suppose? I suspected that it would take longer than 15 working days but it is just cruel to put that in there - it creates false hope!

HI,

Just thought Id let you know I recieved my email after sending in my submission. It appears they may have taken notice of your comments. See the below email in bold:

"Dear Applicant,

Your application has arrived safely at the Canberra office and is currently being processed. The estimated processing time for your application is 15 working days plus mail time.

Please note for Settlement/Right of Abode cases processing can take up to 12 weeks. You will receive another e-mail advising you of the outcome of your application in due course. "

Sorry.

Application posted: 31 January 2011

Case Officer (C/O) Email: 02 February 2011

Date of intented travel: end June / early July

Guest Rollergirl86

God I still havent got my passport back yet. So frustrating as it's been a week now. I've called them up twice now and they have told me I just have to wait. Then I asked if they can at least see if my application has been sent form the High commission and they said that my enquirey would be added to the queue and it would take 48 hours to look into !??

Guest DJFranny

I've been watching this thread since we first applied and glad everyone is getting some good news! The December stats were quite depressing compared with October so hopefully things will change for February...

Application Submitted: 12 December 2010

Case Officer (C/O) Email: 16 December 2010

Visa: Not yet granted

Travel date requested: 30 March

I'm struggling to work out the working days but I think it is 30 working days today, not counting 24, 28, 29, 30, 31 Dec and 1 & 26 Jan.

It took us ages to get the documents together and really wish we'd applied back in October rather than spending ages searching for the right documents. In the end we sent in the application without financial documents because it took forever to get them from the banks (high interest savings accounts with e-statements only). If anyone is reading this before applying I recommend getting onto it as early as possible because the wait is scarier than you think. Sixty working days is a loooong time.

Hope you get your passport soon Rollergirl86!

Guest lemondrop

yeeee haaaaaaa...got the visa!!!! The high commission must be catching up with the backlog as my application was submitted 21st December, confirmation e-mail 23rd December and VISA 7/02/11. Good luck to everyone else.

Hi - Wanted to send my stats...

Application posted: 28 January 2011

Case Officer (C/O) Email: 01 February 2011

Date of intended travel: 15 April

I'll be curious about whether it will take longer for me because I'm a US citizen living in Oz. Wish I could have applied in New York - processing times there are about a week!- but they made it clear I have to apply where I 'm living.

Good luck everyone!

Guest Rollergirl86

Yay got my passport today! Flying back on thursday.

Best of luck to everyone and keep posting! Keep the information out there for future visa applyees :)

Congrats Lemondrop they must be catching up on backlog. A very good sign for the rest of you :D

Just got an e-mail from the High Commission - I got my visa!! My passport is due to come back in 2 days.

I was having a really sh!tty day but this has just turned things around. Can't wait !! xx

Guest DJFranny

We just got approved too! Hilarious -- one day after posting on this forum. So excited!

Application Submitted: 12 December 2010

Case Officer (C/O) Email: 16 December 2010

Intended travel date: 30 March

Visa: Granted 8 February 2011

I think that's 31 days, which is good news for others waiting.

Guest vintage

After a phone call yesterday from case officer today we have my husbands visa

case officer asigned 7/1/11 visa approved 9/2/11

hope you all hear soon

Guest cooperman1969

Hi,

I'm new to the forum but have been following it because I am in England and my wife is in Melbourne waiting for her spouse visa... currently with nowhere to live (she's couch-hopping) and not a lot of money and living out of a suitcase...

We lived together for 6 months in Britain last year, got married, lived in Germany for 2.5 months (my work), and then she returned to do the spouse visa thing...

Anyway we applied and had the confirmation of receipt email on the 15th December, but, we got the 'processed' email on Monday and yesterday, she got her passport returned with a rejection letter. We've been rejected on 3 things:

1. my passport copy not being notarised - I've seen that here before and it's easy to fix although annoying, neither of us can find where it tells us that is necessary...

2. We said we'd initially live with our in-laws and they have come back saying :

I note that you intend to live with your in-laws in the UK. You have

failed to submit evidence that they are willing and able ot accomodate

you. I would expect to see the deeds or rental agreement of the

property, an invitation from them and an official document to show whom

is currently living there and the size of the property. I am not

satified that there will be adequate accomodation for the parties and

any dependants without recourse to public funds in accomodation which

they own or occupy exclusively. Paragraph 281 (iv)

What the hell official document do they want? Anybody have any ideas or experience in this?

Also I am now trying to rent somewhere for us this week, so, we hope to be able to send them a rental agreement, which should circumnavigate this - but we want to be able to answer this issue as well... in case...

3. I am a contract worker and despite my gross earnings being £24.75 per hour, they said this:

You state that your sponsor is self employed and his monthly income

after tax is £3600. I note that his declared Nett income for

2010 was £20, 971 which would be approximately £1, 748 monthly. You

have stated that he supports his children from a previous marriage and

he is required to pay £650 per month to them. Your sponsor's Halifax

bank statement dated 29/11/10 had a closing balance of £666.66. I

note the account history shows that on average the balance was around

£700. I note that there is a business account in his name and that the

balance in September was £2,368, however there is no detail as to the

financial commitments of this account and as the last balance was more

than 2 months prior to your application date I am not satisfied that

these funds are available to you.

And about my wife:

You have submitted your St George freedom account and the closing balance on 26/11/10 was $1,098.79. There is no evidence that you have purchased an airline ticket to the UK and as I am aware that it would cost in the region of £700.

Given your current financial circumstances and your sponsor's child

support commitments, I am not satisfied that you or your sponsor will

be able to maintain yourselves and any dependants adequately without

recourse to public funds. Paragraph 281 v.

My wife now has a temporary job and is earning, before that I was sending her money to live on... so we can demonstrate we have funds to buy a ticket, although they tell you not to until you have the visa!!???! And I can get my accountant to write a letter explaining how I have access to my business account money and how I get paid (salary + dividends + expenses)...

BUT we are still devastated. Does anybody have any further ideas for us? Any useful email addresses at the UKBA in Canberra? Phone numbers? Addresses to write to when they have appealed? WHo to address things to? Ideas for covering letters, emails, etc. that worked for you? Any tips? Advice? ANYTHING AT ALL PLEASE!!!!!!!! We are desperate and very worried...

Thanks very much!

Mike

I'm about to sort out spouse settlement visa for my australian wife, been married 6 years now and been in Australia for 7yrs and we want to head back to uk.

I noticed some people applying for ILR/ILE straight away in here and getting a KOL condition added to their visa

Just a few things if someone can clear them up for me..

I'm guessing I just apply via the standard VAF4 form via the Canberra site and they will automatically apply ILR with Kol condition or is a different form I should be filling in.

How does the fees work, normally its fee for the spouse visa then another 2 yrs later for ILR, assuming I get ILR with kol condition, do I end up with one fee or still get clobbered a second one due to

and lastly wife has an elder daughter under 16 that's not mine so only has Australian citizenship,

Is she added to my wife's application or does it need to be a separate application.

ta for any help on the above

Guest lemondrop

Oh dear cooperman...you really do sound like you are in an awful predicament but nothing is ever as bad as it seems! Most of the points that you have mentioned do seem to be rectified with a more detailed explanation. The 3 main things that the guys at the top are interested in are 1: proof of somewhere to live 2: money to support youself and 3: job offer. It sounds like a few of your circumstances have changed since you applied and this could go in your favour. A rental agreement is a good start however it is possible to stay with family on a temp basis but they have to write in support of you including details of the size of the property/ no of rooms/ and how many people currently live there. They also provide proof of ownership/rental of the property to be on the safe side. If they are using public funds ie rental assistance to pay the rent it is very unlikely that this would be considered adequate accomodation as you too would be indirectly accessing public funds. In terms of savings...you are another month down the track now so another bank statement can be sent in. Get copies for the last 6 months of ALL your accounts and have them certified by the banks...you need to proof you have a steady income and that money was not put into your account purely for the purpose of applying for the visa. Send in your wifes payslips and a letter from her employer detailing her hours and expected income. Get a notarised copy of your passport. Put everything in order neatly in a folder to make it easier for them and to show that you are serious about the application. You don't say whether you have been given the option of sending additional documents or whether you have to apply again but either way I truly wish you the best of luck. Hope this helps in some small way!

Archived