UK Spouse/Settlement Visa

Guest MXP78

Guest CleverClogs
Hi all, Just discovered this forum at the tail end of my partner's and my application process. Like Incubus we have just received the 'processed' email, followed by the returned documents and letter stating that we have been rejected for not supplying a notarised copy of my partner's UK passport. I find it astonishing that the UKBA makes no attempt to contact applicants to request this document during the application process, particularly as the sponsor's passport or copy was NOT REQUESTED on any list of documents that I could find. An earlier poster who had this problem said that the UKBA claimed their failure to contact the applicant regarding this was an 'oversight' and yet I'm the third applicant on this forum alone to whom this has happened. Anyone reading this who has yet to submit documents take heed!!!! You will need to send a notarised copy or the original.

I am taking heart from Incubus's experience and am hopeful that we will be able to appeal and get a fast turnaround of this decision. I'm most grateful for the information shared on this site.

For those interested in timelines, we applied and paid on May 20 and received an email confirming receipt of documents on May 28. The next contact we had was the email saying we had been 'processed' on 16 August. The rejection letter and returned documents were received today (Aug 18). I stopped trying to count the 'working days' but it must have been just short of the full 60.

My partner has now been back in the UK for nearly a month while I am stuck at my parents, having resigned from job and moved out of flat, paid to postpone flight 3 times and expecting to have to postpone a 4th time now etc. etc.

Will post on here an update on the appeals process. Good luck everyone!

Hi jp1978

Can I ask if you included a copy of your sponsors passport at all or not a notarised copy? We have provided a colour copy but it is not notarised. (As the guidance notes only request "a copy") Anyone out there who provided a non-notarised copy but was successful?

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest KG1978

JP1978 - I'm really sorry to hear your news. And especially to hear that they waited so long to tell you.

It's pathetic service, and like others have said, there is no reason why they couldn't call you and remedy the situation quite easily.

However, did you see the links I posted earlier - had you read that 'important information' section before? It does say you need to send the sponsor's passport or a notarised copy. If you didn't send this, what evidence did you provide to prove your right to live in the UK?

Really not trying to be harsh, hope it doesn't sound that way, but the information IS there, on the Australian site.

Guest KG1978
Hi jp1978

Can I ask if you included a copy of your sponsors passport at all or not a notarised copy? We have provided a colour copy but it is not notarised. (As the guidance notes only request "a copy") Anyone out there who provided a non-notarised copy but was successful?

CleverClogs, I really urge you to send a NOTARISED copy of the passport asap or prepare for a refusal. They do ask for notarised copies, see here, from the important information section:

Original documents

All supporting documents provided with your application should be original documents. Birth, Marriage and Death certificates, where required, should be the full registered versions. Extracts, for example, may not satisfy our requirements. For Points Based Applications normally only original documents will be accepted as stated in the published Policy Guidance. For some other non-Points Based Applications, we may accept a copy of the original document only if it has been witnessed by a Notary Public. We will not accept a copy of a document that has only been endorsed, for example, by a Solicitor, Justice of the Peace, Police Officer, Pharmacist etc. If you need a list of Notary Publics then use this link - Notary Public

Guest CleverClogs
CleverClogs, I really urge you to send a NOTARISED copy of the passport asap or prepare for a refusal. They do ask for notarised copies, see here, from the important information section:

Original documents

All supporting documents provided with your application should be original documents. Birth, Marriage and Death certificates, where required, should be the full registered versions. Extracts, for example, may not satisfy our requirements. For Points Based Applications normally only original documents will be accepted as stated in the published Policy Guidance. For some other non-Points Based Applications, we may accept a copy of the original document only if it has been witnessed by a Notary Public. We will not accept a copy of a document that has only been endorsed, for example, by a Solicitor, Justice of the Peace, Police Officer, Pharmacist etc. If you need a list of Notary Publics then use this link - Notary Public

Yep - on to it today. I was going by the notes on the application form which state...

"8.2.10 Sponsor’s permission to live in the UK.

Please provide supporting evidence of this by supplying a copy of their bio data page from their passport (the page with their photograph) and their visa (if they have one) or other permission to be in the UK."

How foolish of me.

All I can do now is hope that they will agree to merge a separate document in with the original application. Actually I should probably get two notarised copies - one to send now and another to send again if we are rejected because they wouldn't process the first.

Day 20 for us.

Guest jp1978
Hi jp1978

We sent an ordinary copy (uncertified), although I'd point out I sent it not realising it was required. I had just added it as an afterthought as we had a copy lying around!

Actually to set the record straight we received the docs back today...our copy WAS certified but not notarised. Now flying my partner from France back to the UK for one day to see a notary in Picadilly and forward documents to me. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Guest jp1978
JP1978 - I'm really sorry to hear your news. And especially to hear that they waited so long to tell you.

It's pathetic service, and like others have said, there is no reason why they couldn't call you and remedy the situation quite easily.

However, did you see the links I posted earlier - had you read that 'important information' section before? It does say you need to send the sponsor's passport or a notarised copy. If you didn't send this, what evidence did you provide to prove your right to live in the UK?

Really not trying to be harsh, hope it doesn't sound that way, but the information IS there, on the Australian site.

Thanks KG. I accept that the information was on the site somewhere but I had not come across it. Evidently a number of other people who had submitted otherwise acceptable applications didn't come across it either! Because of the duplication of information across the UK sites it is extremely difficult to find out which docs are required. You will notice the checklist on the hard copy of the application doesn't specify a copy of the sponsor's passport. I assumed that when you supplied the passport number in the online application that would suffice as verification of the sponsor's immigration status! After all, they have been issued with a passport - look up your database!

The duplication of information and advice seems to me to be a major problem with the UKBA. In the refusal letter it says they required a copy or the original of the UK passport, then on the attached appeal form it says do not send originals!! The advice really is arse up.

Cheers!

Guest giddy09

Has anyone else not sent a notarised copy of their spouses passport?

Has anyone been given their visa without having a notarised copy of the passport.

We supplied all original documents except for my husbands passport as he needed to return to the UK (last week). As we knew he would be going back to the Uk most likely before my visa was granted, we supplied a copy of my husbands passport countersigned by a solicitor as a certified copy, I am assuming now that this is not good enough?

:unsure:

Day 25 for us.

Guest KG1978
Thanks KG. I accept that the information was on the site somewhere but I had not come across it. Evidently a number of other people who had submitted otherwise acceptable applications didn't come across it either! Because of the duplication of information across the UK sites it is extremely difficult to find out which docs are required. You will notice the checklist on the hard copy of the application doesn't specify a copy of the sponsor's passport. I assumed that when you supplied the passport number in the online application that would suffice as verification of the sponsor's immigration status! After all, they have been issued with a passport - look up your database!

The duplication of information and advice seems to me to be a major problem with the UKBA. In the refusal letter it says they required a copy or the original of the UK passport, then on the attached appeal form it says do not send originals!! The advice really is arse up.

Cheers!

Oh I totally agree - it's a mess. I guess my main advice would be always to use the Australian site as your guide, because the UKBA advice is too general and because the requirements are actually different in every country, it's not all relevant.

As for the passport number being enough - I don't think so, anyone could type in anyone's number in that case.

Guest CleverClogs

I wish I was applying in Hong Kong. 98% of applications processed in 10 working days (79 decisions for June '10). *sigh*:daydreaming:

Guest kyliecherry

We had a similar problem gaining clarity around this - we initially sent the application with a copy certified by SA Police and it was only through sheer luck that we stumbled across that guide that says this is not sufficient a couple of days after we lodged our application... we actually thought that our package had been lost in the post (why Australia Post offer a Platinum Express service which is supposed to be fully traceable then not scan it at any point is beyond me!) - and while frantically investigating options for lost parcels (from a Visa perspective) we stumbled across those details. That was after months of extensive and overly thorough research during the process of collating our documents for the application, so definitely no stupidity on your part!

Anyway we were told by our UK Immigration Lawyer (advice only) that we should get copies notarised but then the Police stated their service as 'notarising' so we thought that would be okay. It was only because of whatever was looking out for us that day, that we thought the parcel was lost and stumbled across that info about notarising the copy that we called the $11 line to confirm, then we were then able to get a duly notarised copy of my husband's (sponsor) passport and sent it with my application number etc on the envelope, and a covering letter inside explaining, in basic simpleton's English, that this was for XXX application and it was to replace the existing document etc. Funnily enough that was the first day we'd discovered the $11 line as well - having already paid for 3 phone sessions with a UK Immigration Lawyer!

Anyway not sure yet whether the luck that helped us rectify it in time will mean we have been successful, but, day 45 today so hopefully we will know soon!

Guest kyliecherry
Has anyone else not sent a notarised copy of their spouses passport?

Has anyone been given their visa without having a notarised copy of the passport.

We supplied all original documents except for my husbands passport as he needed to return to the UK (last week). As we knew he would be going back to the Uk most likely before my visa was granted, we supplied a copy of my husbands passport countersigned by a solicitor as a certified copy, I am assuming now that this is not good enough?

:unsure:

Day 25 for us.

As a Solicitor has signed it, you will probably be okay (a lot of the Notary Publics are Solicitors & Lawyers) - but if you're unsure perhaps you can speak to the person who countersigned for you to see if they know whether or not their countersign is equal to Notary Public? You can also call the $11 and ask someone at the HC - I can't recall the number off the top of my head but it's been mentioned in this forum a few times.

Then, being only day 25 you'd have enough time to send a duly notarised copy if required. Put as many details as possible on the envelope (so they know on sight it relates to an existing application), and include a letter explaing that it is to be included in your application etc.

You have time, but move quick - and good luck!

Guest catcomestoo

jeez what a crazy system. If I was more cynical I'd think they did it on purpose to discourage applications. Have you noticed too that on that list on the website it says 2 passport photos, and on the other application form list AND the bit of paper that was given after biometric data taken it says ONE??? Crazy.

Guest kyliecherry
jeez what a crazy system. If I was more cynical I'd think they did it on purpose to discourage applications. Have you noticed too that on that list on the website it says 2 passport photos, and on the other application form list AND the bit of paper that was given after biometric data taken it says ONE??? Crazy.

... and the piece of paper you get to confirm the biometrics appointment says you must present this piece of paper at the appointment - yet when I was struggling with all my papers to find it, the very efficient but very strange woman behind the counter was going "I don't want that! Don't give me that!" *I struggle some more* "NO - don't give me that"... err, okay then.

Oh, and one part of the biometrics confirmation process said to take all the documentation, the other part said to post it... so I carried that 3.5 kilo folder around for nothing as well.

Inconsistencies all over the place! :laugh:

Guest KG1978

Agree. I've read all these exact same complaints from people around the world in other forums. How hard is it to keep a website coherent and current? To keep advice consistent? It's like they have never even read their own advice. It would be funny if it didn't have the potential to be so devastating. And if it didn't cost so bloody much.

I'd like to see these people pass the English language test they are about to introduce - there's no way!:mad:

Guest ExConvict

Hi All

So glad I have discovered this forum. Just to keep the details of our various applications rolling along...

Name/initials: EX

Date of email confirming receipt: 22 July 2010

Visa not yet granted

I know previous posters were including the date of intended travel but it doesn't appear that the UKBA pay any attention to it anyway?

Guest kseatonqld

:biggrin:Hi Guys,

Just letting you all know that i had a call from the british high commision today at 8am saying my refusal has been overturned and i will have my VISA by monday next week!

There is hope - good luck to all.

Guest KG1978

Just letting you all know that i had a call from the british high commision today at 8am saying my refusal has been overturned and i will have my VISA by monday next week!

Fantastic news! I hoped this would happen, what a relief!

Good luck with the packing and moving!:biggrin:

Guest CleverClogs

It is heartening to see that, at least at one stage of the process, there can be a quick resolution(Although how much time could have been saved by an earlier email or phone call?)

Great news. Must be such a huge relief.

Guest jp1978

Hi! Fantastic news, congrats. Just curious - did you send your passport with the appeal? They say not to but how do they issue the visa without it?? Or do you have to send it back to them after they overturn the decision? I'm now waiting for docs to arrive from the UK - will be able to appeal middle next week so I think I will still have some time to go. Thanks so much for keeping us updated.

Guest kseatonqld

Hi jp1978,

Yes i sent the whole package to them (with hubbies british passport).

They have to put your visa in your passport. So if you don't send it with the appeal, they will request your passport later (taking even longer to get it!).

Send it all at once and write a letter saying why it needs to be dealt with quickly!.

Good luck

Guest kyliecherry

Excellent news!! Good for you – I can only imagine how relieved you must be feeling right now.

Funny that they can’t see how much quicker & easier it would be for all concerned if they just gave you the option to provide the document during the initial processing, but I’ve kind of given up trying to understand them. It’s like trying to comprehend the endless expanse of the universe – baffling to the point of headache.

One of the many comforting things I have learned during my short time on this forum, is that applications are generally salvageable with the right approach – unless you’ve completely arsed it up – before coming here I honestly had the impression that a missing or incorrect document just meant un-appealable failure (as in, you could only appeal if you could prove a mistake on their part).

Good to know they have some sense to realise that you've paid a considerabe sum of money and not everyone is trying to be dishonest; people make mistakes, misinterpret info, forget to put docs in etc etc… and the appeals process seems relatively reasonable.

There's hope for us all yet!

Guest incubus1971

well done you .. you'll be there before you know it..

Guest cheekybaby44

Argh, what muppets, I really can't believe this.

I just got my package back and the visa is postdated for 15 October instead of 15 August. I told them we are getting married in September so don't know why the hell they've done this.

My flight back leaves this coming Thursday so not sure what my situation is yet, if I can enter the UK or what.

Have emailed my immigration guy to find out so hopefully have an answer soon.

Throws everything out of whack as my family are coming over and are going to have to rebook :( also affects my job offer and therefore money situation.

Not impressed at all.

Guest necole

Glad to hear all is ticking along in it's roundabout kind of way. On holiday trying to enjoy some of our country while waiting visa...

Michael - have you heard anything further about your visa?

Day 33...

Necole

Guest KG1978
Argh, what muppets, I really can't believe this.

I just got my package back and the visa is postdated for 15 October instead of 15 August. I told them we are getting married in September so don't know why the hell they've done this.

My flight back leaves this coming Thursday so not sure what my situation is yet, if I can enter the UK or what.

Have emailed my immigration guy to find out so hopefully have an answer soon.

Throws everything out of whack as my family are coming over and are going to have to rebook :( also affects my job offer and therefore money situation.

Not impressed at all.

Oh my god!! :wacko:

Are you going to ring BHC/UKBA asap too?! What absolute muppets.

I hope it's sorted for you and you can get that flight without incurring more costs...

Not sure you'd be able to enter as visitor, then leave after October 15 and enter on spouse visa? I imagine there would be issues at heathrow...

got my fingers crossed for you. keep us posted.

Archived