UK Spouse/Settlement Visa

Guest MXP78

Guest cheekybaby44

argh getting extremely nervous now hearing about these rejections and time is marching on!

am wondering if they use any reason possible to reject the application, for example I only sent in 2 months of my bank statements because theres no money going through it - fiance has been supporting me for last 6 months, which was advised in supporting letters. I sent in 6 months of fiance's statements as well as my share certificates showing £6000 in my name.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest KG1978

It doesn't matter if the statements are yours, your fiance's, or both, but you must send three months of at least one. Relax, you're fine!

I sent three months of mine, and my husband's job contract.

Guest cheekybaby44

Speak of the devil....

Your application has been approved and your documents will be despatched

within 3 working days. New Zealand applications may take a further 3 days to

arrive in the postal system. Couriered packages can then be traced using the

consignment number.

57 working days all up! So excited and relieved.

Good luck everyone

x

Guest christopherm
Speak of the devil....

Your application has been approved and your documents will be despatched

within 3 working days. New Zealand applications may take a further 3 days to

arrive in the postal system. Couriered packages can then be traced using the

consignment number.

57 working days all up! So excited and relieved.

Good luck everyone

x

Congratulations!

We are still waiting - 40 working days today for us. Can't wait to get confirmation through, i am in the UK just now and it doesn't make things easy.

Michael I am really sorry to see your email reply wasn't more positive. I am sure it will be something straightforward though as they otherwise seem to call you first. At least there has been some action in Canberra with three people provided with responses today.

We got the keys to our new house today and wouldn't you know it, there's a eucalypt in the next door neighbours back yard that I can see from my new bedroom. I was so excited!! It all still feels surreal and I cannot believe that this time two weeks ago I was still waiting for the visa email. Once that approval comes through it's all very fast. Cold comfort for most of you right now, I know, but there's a small light at the end of the long tunnel.

Congrats Cheekybaby44. Enjoy the next steps.

Michael - I'm so sorry to hear you received what sounds like the rejection email. Hopefully it's something simple and it can be cleared up as quickly as Incubus' was.

I cannot believe the British High Commission are waiting approx 60 days and then rejecting cases for something that could be solved with a quick email or phone call. Clearly people are going to appeal the rejections when the only reason was for not including a document, which in the end just creates more work for them by having to put it through an appeal process. Maybe that's why they're taking so long to process the applications, they're actually doing half of them twice!

I am finally in London. If it makes any of you waiting feel better, I arrived to fog and rain! On descent on the plane, I was looking out of the window waiting to see the UK. We seemed to be taking a long time to get below the clouds as I still couldn't see anything, and then we hit the runway! It was just so foggy we didn't get below the clouds! We took the tube to my parents in law's house and had to change at Holborn right on 5.30pm - rush hour! I took one look at the hoards of people and nearly wondered what I was doing here! It was quite amusing struggling through with our big suitcases and carry on bags. But seeing my husband with his family has put it all back in perspective.

Had my first coffee today and it was potentially the worst coffee I've ever had so definitely room for improvement! I forgot how good Melbourne (and Wellington my home town)'s coffee is compared to London.

Also an airline tip for those of you deciding who to fly back with. We flew Malaysia air and prior to the flight I phoned up to see if we could get any extra luggage. I didn't want a lot but just wanted to make sure we didn't get stung if we were a few kilos over. They guy on the phone told me that they don't start charging until you are over 25kgs. I weighed my suitcase before we left and it was 24.8kgs. My husband's was about the same. When we checked in they didn't even batter an eyelid and it went straight through. Both at Melbourne and Kuala Lumpur airport.

Good luck to everyone still waiting.

Guest incubus1971
Michael I am really sorry to see your email reply wasn't more positive. I am sure it will be something straightforward though as they otherwise seem to call you first. At least there has been some action in Canberra with three people provided with responses today.

We got the keys to our new house today and wouldn't you know it, there's a eucalypt in the next door neighbours back yard that I can see from my new bedroom. I was so excited!! It all still feels surreal and I cannot believe that this time two weeks ago I was still waiting for the visa email. Once that approval comes through it's all very fast. Cold comfort for most of you right now, I know, but there's a small light at the end of the long tunnel.

Congrats Cheekybaby44. Enjoy the next steps.

true ... I can't believe that I got my call from the High Commission last week and already have sold half my stuff on ebay and almost finished packing ... and we'll be in UK in a couple weeks time ...

Guest kseatonqld

Hi Guys,

WE were unable to stop our appeal arriving in the UK.

So i called the UK and asked if they could send it to canberra- they informed me that it takes 2-3 weeks to open the appeal envelope and a further 4-5 weeks to post the receipt letter to me & the Caberra high commision.

I pleaded witht the UK representative and he said i could try sending my appeal to canberra as well. If canberra can overturn the appeal within the next two weeks, i can write to the UK tribunal and cancel that appeal.

So, i sent my appeal (thank god i scanned the rejection letter, etc) yesterday and it has arrived in canberra this morning. I will e-mail them and call them today as suggested y incubus.

Fingers crossed it works :err:

I'll update as news come to me.

F.Y.I - i did not get ANY e-mail (succesful or not) from the high commison in canberra.

Guest KG1978

Ah, the bad coffee, don't remind me! MXP78, try Monmouth St coffee - at Borough market and a place in covent garden that I forget - and there is some amaaaazing coffee at Columbia Rd flower market on a sunday morning (if you're in London) Also bar italia in soho for proper italian stuff.

Your description of the Tube at peak hour actually made me really nostalgic! Can't wait to get back.

But only day 22 for me :(

And cheekybaby - just saw your news, that's so great, congratulations!

Guest incubus1971
Hi Guys,

WE were unable to stop our appeal arriving in the UK.

So i called the UK and asked if they could send it to canberra- they informed me that it takes 2-3 weeks to open the appeal envelope and a further 4-5 weeks to post the receipt letter to me & the Caberra high commision.

I pleaded witht the UK representative and he said i could try sending my appeal to canberra as well. If canberra can overturn the appeal within the next two weeks, i can write to the UK tribunal and cancel that appeal.

So, i sent my appeal (thank god i scanned the rejection letter, etc) yesterday and it has arrived in canberra this morning. I will e-mail them and call them today as suggested y incubus.

Fingers crossed it works :err:

I'll update as news come to me.

F.Y.I - i did not get ANY e-mail (succesful or not) from the high commison in canberra.

That's a good idea about contacting UKBA in Canberra as well....luck you scanned all of your documents.

With your copy of your passports - can you get the local police station to stamp the verification of the copy? Every time I have needed a verified copy I have gone to the police and they don't charge for it ... but check with them if that's acceptable first...

They make it so difficult ... I couldn't believe that it takes so long to open an envelope and process a receipt....good luck!!! fingers crossed for you...

Guest kseatonqld

I sent all the original documents (i know they already seen them, but just in case), a photocopy of the passport and the original passport.

I inlcuded a return envelope - express post.

Guest kyliecherry
Also an airline tip for those of you deciding who to fly back with. We flew Malaysia air and prior to the flight I phoned up to see if we could get any extra luggage. I didn't want a lot but just wanted to make sure we didn't get stung if we were a few kilos over. They guy on the phone told me that they don't start charging until you are over 25kgs. I weighed my suitcase before we left and it was 24.8kgs. My husband's was about the same. When we checked in they didn't even batter an eyelid and it went straight through.

Good to know, we have our tickets booked with Malaysia, stopping over in KL (Visa permitting)… I was concerned about the baggage allowance, but the extra 5 kilos will certainly be helpful!

Cheekybaby44 - Glad to see someone get some good news!

Michael – my fingers are crossed very tightly for you to gain a speedy resolution!

Guest frustratedash

hey guys

Does anyone know "if you don't get your partnership visa you then can't get a holiday visa''( just the regular three month one).

?????

Guest christopherm
Good to know, we have our tickets booked with Malaysia, stopping over in KL (Visa permitting)… I was concerned about the baggage allowance, but the extra 5 kilos will certainly be helpful!

Cheekybaby44 - Glad to see someone get some good news!

Michael – my fingers are crossed very tightly for you to gain a speedy resolution!

We flew a lot of stuff over with worldbaggage - airport to airport. It's cheaper than shipping if you're not moving a lot of stuff and a lot quicker (5 days as oposed to 3 months). I think they buy excess cargo space on passenger flights. I picked it up from the cargo terminal at Glasgow airport yesterday. No dramas at all.

Guest frustratedash
frustratedash: The requirements are completely different. But it would depends on reasons for refusing partner visa.

Thanks for that:)

Guest kyliecherry
We flew a lot of stuff over with worldbaggage - airport to airport. It's cheaper than shipping if you're not moving a lot of stuff and a lot quicker (5 days as oposed to 3 months). I think they buy excess cargo space on passenger flights. I picked it up from the cargo terminal at Glasgow airport yesterday. No dramas at all.

Cheers Christopherm, I will definitely look into this! 3 months seems to be the standard for most shipping companies – it’s really just our bulk belongings, and no furniture except for our TV. If we can find a quicker alternative being that it’s not a full move as such, that will be awesome!

Anyway... day 42 today, and I can't make plans to ship until we have a Visa :skeptical:

Ah, the bad coffee, don't remind me! MXP78, try Monmouth St coffee - at Borough market and a place in covent garden that I forget - and there is some amaaaazing coffee at Columbia Rd flower market on a sunday morning (if you're in London) Also bar italia in soho for proper italian stuff.

Thanks KG1978. I walked past Monmouth coffee in Covent Garden yesterday but had already had 2 great coffees so thought I'd save that for next time. I found 2 cafes just off Carnaby St. One called Flat White and the other Sacred Coffee that do good coffee. Funnily enough both owned by Kiwis (we're taking over the world mwa ha ha ha).

Guest kyliecherry

Name/initials: KC

Date of email confirming receipt: 16 June 2010

Intended date of travel listed: 11 September 2010

Working days since submission: 43

Visa not yet granted

Guest catcomestoo

Hi Guys,

wow what a fantastic thread! Good luck with all your moves and thank you so much for posting all this great info. I am British and married to Oz husband (nearly 3 years and with one 10 month old baby). We are about to send off all our documents and I just feel like I'm missing something...

I found the list of supporting documents on the visas4uk website at the bottom of the hard copy application, but it's very vague! When we made the application for oz spouse visa the list was much more comprehensive. How do you know exactly what they need? Also when my hubby went to get the biometric data done, the lady said to send SIGNED bank statements, although I can't find this anywhere official- the list we have just says "evidence of total monthly income".

Also, we have been living together for 4 years, so for the section that says "evidence of contact between you and your sponsor, eg phone records, letters, emails" is it enough to prove that we live together?? Again the oz application was a bit more specific.

So anyway I have 2 questions:

1) Am i missing something? a more detailed list??

2) Did people submit SIGNED bank statements?

3) Is there anything else that is essential that is not on the list? Any tips? I have seen that the passport is needed- although again it doesn't actually say this... it says proof of permission for sponsor to be in the uk- so I was going to send my birth certificate until I read this forum!

Any tips much appreciated, and good luck to all those waiting!

Guest KG1978

Hi, did you read this info/list?

Wife / Husband / Dependant

See point 4. - sponsor's passport.

Also, in the Important Information section, see Evidence of Funds:

Important information for all visa applicants

Specifically:

You will need to provide original bank statements, (not copies or electronic versions). If you no longer receive paper statements, copies or electronic versions will need a letter of authentication from your bank.

When I rang hotline they said just get internet printouts stamped and signed (each page) by the bank. They shouldn't need to be signed if they are statements sent on bank letterhead in the mail, therefore.

Guest catcomestoo

Wow thank you! I was just looking at the list on the bottom of the paper form. Wierd that they have 2 different lists in 2 different places. Maybe just me being stupid. So glad I asked!

Guest KG1978
Wow thank you! I was just looking at the list on the bottom of the paper form. Wierd that they have 2 different lists in 2 different places. Maybe just me being stupid. So glad I asked!

It's not you being stupid at all, it's them being as obstructive and impenetrable as possible! It would be too simple to put everything in the one spot! With specific details, eg, funds balance required.

And if you ring to speak to them you will get ten different versions on what you need to do. Nothing ever seems concrete. But at least in Australia everyone I've spoken to has been polite.

I can't wait for three years' time when I (fingers crossed) have a UK passport and can forget ever knowing about all this visa stuff.

Guest jp1978

Hi all, Just discovered this forum at the tail end of my partner's and my application process. Like Incubus we have just received the 'processed' email, followed by the returned documents and letter stating that we have been rejected for not supplying a notarised copy of my partner's UK passport. I find it astonishing that the UKBA makes no attempt to contact applicants to request this document during the application process, particularly as the sponsor's passport or copy was NOT REQUESTED on any list of documents that I could find. An earlier poster who had this problem said that the UKBA claimed their failure to contact the applicant regarding this was an 'oversight' and yet I'm the third applicant on this forum alone to whom this has happened. Anyone reading this who has yet to submit documents take heed!!!! You will need to send a notarised copy or the original.

I am taking heart from Incubus's experience and am hopeful that we will be able to appeal and get a fast turnaround of this decision. I'm most grateful for the information shared on this site.

For those interested in timelines, we applied and paid on May 20 and received an email confirming receipt of documents on May 28. The next contact we had was the email saying we had been 'processed' on 16 August. The rejection letter and returned documents were received today (Aug 18). I stopped trying to count the 'working days' but it must have been just short of the full 60.

My partner has now been back in the UK for nearly a month while I am stuck at my parents, having resigned from job and moved out of flat, paid to postpone flight 3 times and expecting to have to postpone a 4th time now etc. etc.

Will post on here an update on the appeals process. Good luck everyone!

Guest kseatonqld
Hi all, Just discovered this forum at the tail end of my partner's and my application process. Like Incubus we have just received the 'processed' email, followed by the returned documents and letter stating that we have been rejected for not supplying a notarised copy of my partner's UK passport. I find it astonishing that the UKBA makes no attempt to contact applicants to request this document during the application process, particularly as the sponsor's passport or copy was NOT REQUESTED on any list of documents that I could find. An earlier poster who had this problem said that the UKBA claimed their failure to contact the applicant regarding this was an 'oversight' and yet I'm the third applicant on this forum alone to whom this has happened. Anyone reading this who has yet to submit documents take heed!!!! You will need to send a notarised copy or the original.

I am taking heart from Incubus's experience and am hopeful that we will be able to appeal and get a fast turnaround of this decision. I'm most grateful for the information shared on this site.

For those interested in timelines, we applied and paid on May 20 and received an email confirming receipt of documents on May 28. The next contact we had was the email saying we had been 'processed' on 16 August. The rejection letter and returned documents were received today (Aug 18). I stopped trying to count the 'working days' but it must have been just short of the full 60.

My partner has now been back in the UK for nearly a month while I am stuck at my parents, having resigned from job and moved out of flat, paid to postpone flight 3 times and expecting to have to postpone a 4th time now etc. etc.

Will post on here an update on the appeals process. Good luck everyone!

I feel for you - i am the other person you quoted as 'it was an oversight'.

We waited 58 days for our refusal letter on the exact same grounds! I even spoke to the case officer three weeks prior to my rejection letter an they said it was all good and i should have my response soon!

I rang the $11 number yesterday [i tried Incubus's approach and so far no good] and the VERY RUDE lady said there is a back log of appeals (HMMNN - wonder why??) and it would be at least 28 days [ she could not say if this was 28 working days or 28 calendar days including weekends]. She could not tell me anything regarding the process and when i asked about fast tracing due to special circumstances she said they do not do it - LIES. We all know incubus was fortunate to have his issue remedied quickly.

I sent my appeal on Wednesday - it arrived thursday at 10:51 am and as yet i have not had a receipt that it arrived. I know they will start counting the 28DAYS from when they bother to open it!

So now it is waiting AGAIN!!:arghh:

Archived