Taking uk home phone ??

The Butlers

Hello All

Can you tell me please if we take our uk home phone will we be able to buy an adaptor in the phone socket or do we leave it in uk !!!

Only our home phone is broke and my Dad got me a new phone for my irthday and I am now thinking it may have been a waste of money !!!

Emma and Gang

Guest mandy1970

I am taking our UK home phones.

I bought UK-OZ adapters on Ebay about £3 each. They are quite chunky with 3 prongs. There was quite a few places selling them.

Guest Les & Woz

Phones work here you just need to get an adaptor. It is the same size as computer internet phone connection the smaller size jack.

Phones can be cheap here, but if you want a flash cordless with ring tones, colour screens you have to pay a lot for these. We brought a flash BT phone - calypso I think - and it does not work. Could have sold it before we came, but is just a useless piece of junk here.

The first Oz phone we bought had 3 awful melodies and the text was so basic and bad on the screen I took it back.

You need the RJ-11 cable with the square connector each end and they need the 4 wires connected as the UK use two of them and Oz use the other two (can't remember which way around, either inner or outer two wires are used). The square conectors on the end are usually transparent so you can see which wires are connected and your existing cables might already have all 4 connected. Your phone will almost definately use the RJ-11 plug on the phone end.

You will probably only see the 3 prong sockets in older houses, even then you can buy adaptors over here, so I wouldn't bother buying them in the UK.

There are quite a few threads on the subject

Guest Les & Woz

Hi

We just used a spare cable we had from our computer that had the right size jack each end and all our phones work.

Guest Waylyn

As the soon to be wife of a telecoms engineer, I can say categorically that Jo_uktooz and Quoll are totally spot on!

To be honest, unless the phone you had for your birthday is something amazing like a B&O, I would bother with the hassle of getting it approved.

Just get a new one in Aus.

But it's up to you if you want to be legal or not ;-)

• 2 months later...
Guest lollypop

I am going to say what everybody else would like to say but are being to polite. Its a phone get a new one does it matter if it doesn't have the right ringtone, as long as you can answer and receiveand there is always skype!!.

Archived