300 and/or 309 advice please

Guest Damo86

Guest Damo86

Hi again all,

Applying for a Prospective Marriage visa or Partner Visa (not sure yet )

Reading the various relevant British government websites it seems that for an Aussie to marry in the UK one would need a certain visa to enter on that grounds - and/or a Certificate of Approval from the Home Office - and this can take up to 3 months to 'process' aswell. :err: can anyone verify this or advise of an easier way?

From other forums I've read we may be best to fly to a country such as Denmark where apparently you only need to be in the country 3 days and minimal costs to marry... again any advice or warnings??

Ideally my fiance and I would marry here or in Europe and then apply for the Partner Visa, as we do not want the risk I suppose of not being granted the Prospective marriage Visa, lower costs overall - and it seems the processing time for a partner visa (offshore) may be shorter?

failing this we come to my most important question I suppose - part of the Application for Prospective Marriage says we need a letter of Registration of Marriage including date and venue - which we obtain by lodging and NOIM with a celebrant. That makes sense but nowhere can I find how to actually get this to happen.

Being in the UK currently, I'm emailling a few celebrants in Aus to no avail. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Again, thanks for any help with any or all of the matters,

Damon.

Hi Damo86

My husband is an Aussie and we married in the UK 5 years ago. Prior to it we were living in Oz and he came to UK on a working holiday visa as we did not want to get married in the prescribed 6 months on the prospective marriage visa. We got married 18 months later and applied for his residency a few days later in person in Croyden - granted the same day! Two years later he got permanent residency and we had no problems doing this.

Good LUck

Guest brummie39

Hiya,

I am an aussie, married an english man. We got married in Jamicia.

The one problem we came across, was that Australia does not reconigse marriages from

certain countries.

Me the aussie, had to change my name, with births death and marriages.

It wasnt a huge problem, and can be done, but may slow down the process.

Might be worth cheacking! Not sure if it would affect you, but thought id throw in our experiance.

Good luck!

Brummies wife

Guest siamsusie
Hi again all,

Applying for a Prospective Marriage visa or Partner Visa (not sure yet )

Reading the various relevant British government websites it seems that for an Aussie to marry in the UK one would need a certain visa to enter on that grounds - and/or a Certificate of Approval from the Home Office - and this can take up to 3 months to 'process' aswell. :err: can anyone verify this or advise of an easier way?

From other forums I've read we may be best to fly to a country such as Denmark where apparently you only need to be in the country 3 days and minimal costs to marry... again any advice or warnings??

Ideally my fiance and I would marry here or in Europe and then apply for the Partner Visa, as we do not want the risk I suppose of not being granted the Prospective marriage Visa, lower costs overall - and it seems the processing time for a partner visa (offshore) may be shorter?

failing this we come to my most important question I suppose - part of the Application for Prospective Marriage says we need a letter of Registration of Marriage including date and venue - which we obtain by lodging and NOIM with a celebrant. That makes sense but nowhere can I find how to actually get this to happen.

Being in the UK currently, I'm emailling a few celebrants in Aus to no avail. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Again, thanks for any help with any or all of the matters,

Damon.

Hi Damo I married an Aussie in the Uk. Certificate of approval and my husband's UK visa came through from British Embassy in Canberra in approx 2 weeks with no issues.

Guest Damo86
How long have you been living together? If more than 12 months a partner visa (309) might be cheaper and easier?

Peach yes we were actually hoping for a 309 visa, it would be ideal, and we have lived together for over 18 months, in Australia, Ireland and the UK. We are now in the UK and I would love to be able to marry her, but this Certificate of Approval could really hold us back.

I am now here on a Tourist visa, unfortunately I do not have the luxury of dual citizenship or even enough money to hang around england without working ( and I have already used by Working Holiday Visa to its full capacity over 2 years ago) whilst I wait for it.

From what I've found Denmark seems to be the best option, funnily enough, we, both being NOT Danish what-so-ever, can marry there so easily compared to seventy-four miles of red-tape to marry here in the UK, its absurd, considering we are supposed to have this "Commonwealth" arrangement - bullocks. :mad:

sigh... so anyway I guess rules is rules, Thanks for the advice so far,

can anyone help with this marriage celebrant topic?

Archived