Visa Capping - Senate Inquiry

Guest Aussie2B

Probably not a joke, I know of a few who got it in 2 - 3 weeks (accountants). None have got accountancy jobs, one is working part-time in KFC, one in a restaurant.

Biggest joke is that it is STILL on the SOL. Maybe it is DIAC who need all the accountants to count all the money we have handed over to them.

what!!!....I think I'm going crazzzzzy now!!!

This is very very unfair!! :arghh:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you reapply, you are not applying as ICT Recent Graduate in which case the 6 month completion requirement would have made sense, you are applying for ANZSCO by showing work experience like rest of IT migrants do. This is group A not C. This has nothing to do with previous assessment.

And brother if again you are confused.A graduate of aug 2008 can apply in july 2010 with 2 yrs work ex as required in cat c of ACS? Just answer me this question? Can you get 2 yr work ex in 1.5 yrs? Anyways i do not have even 1 year so its not debetable

Guest umairghias
If you reapply, you are not applying as ICT Recent Graduate in which case the 6 month completion requirement would have made sense, you are applying for ANZSCO by showing work experience like rest of IT migrants do. This is group A not C. This has nothing to do with previous assessment.

How much experience is required?

Hey guys...

Is it a possibility that someone here can draft a very well presented letter/petition that we/everyone can sign and send to relevant authorities...I mean Ombudsman, Minister X, PM, DPM, Immi Sinister, Laurie, and all major TV channels and newspapers......?

Jeffster is workin on this and we all need to help him out...:cute:

CAT (4), 885 applied 2008 AUG, ICT - Recent graduate NEC, IELTS 8.0, NAATI qualified, Currently employed as a ICT Project Officer

Just heard an Indian girl got her PR in 10 days after applying. She's accountant, with 7 bands. Wow, just *uckin' hilarious. Please guys tell me this is a joke.

I called the immigration department....The new ICT recent grad's are in Category 3-

so same degree....same university...just that they have a clear ASCO/ANZSO code get to be in Category 3 whereas we have been put to category 4.......:confused:

Ever seen such a 'SKILEED MIGRATION SCAM' before??

CAT (4), 885 applied 2008 AUG, ICT - Recent graduate NEC, IELTS 8.0, NAATI qualified, Currently employed as a ICT Project Officer

I called the immigration department....The new ICT recent grad's are in Category 3-

so same degree....same university...just that they have a clear ASCO/ANZSO code get to be in Category 3 whereas we have been put to category 4.......:confused:

This is such an egregious flaw in the new system, surely they have to do something about it!

This is ridiculous!!! Absolutely Shameful for DIMMIA and everyone.Guys i am thinking of hiring a lawer and lodging a case against DIMMIA.They cannot dobule standard between two people.How can a guy with a same degree and same IELTS jump a queue 2 years ahead of me??

Either they have to stop there or they have to reassess ours again

A graduate of aug 2008 can apply in july 2010 with 2 yrs work ex as required in cat c of ACS?

As I mentioned, its NOT Cat C but Cat A I was referring to.

So with 2 years experience can you apply under Category C? No you cannot.

So with 2 years experience can you apply under Category A? Yes you can.

Can you get 2 yr work ex in 1.5 yrs? Anyways i do not have even 1 year so its not debetable

I thought u said you had 1.5 years in which case you would have had to wait another 6 months only. May have misread it sorry.

In response to an earlier post where an accountant is working in KFC !!

This might be because he /she cant find a job in accountancy currently or just used the skill to gain a visa !!! Difficult one... If the Job is in demand why cant that visa holder find a job.... no vacancies or skills not up to it. If its the lattre and is not bothered what job he/she does this is where the visa route falls down.

DIAC should consider that if someone gets a visa under a certain job they should provide evidence of trying to obtain a job in that trade. I.e proof of interview etc. Call it a temp 175 visa. If the client doesnt get a job but is clearly trying then fine. If the client doesnt have an interview or get a job within 2 years of obtaining visa then tough.

This would stop those people who have no intention of working in their nominating skill ever getting a visa.

Yes I know it sounds harsh but this is tough times and whilst my wife sits in CAT 4 currently as a Hairdresser fully qualified with a Full time lined up in my uncles salon Im a bit cheesed off what some people do to get into Oz.

Shane

This might be because he /she cant find a job in accountancy currently or just used the skill to gain a visa !!! Difficult one... If the Job is in demand why cant that visa holder find a job.... no vacancies or skills not up to it. If its the lattre and is not bothered what job he/she does this is where the visa route falls down.

DIAC should consider that if someone gets a visa under a certain job they should provide evidence of trying to obtain a job in that trade. I.e proof of interview etc. Call it a temp 175 visa. If the client doesnt get a job but is clearly trying then fine. If the client doesnt have an interview or get a job within 2 years of obtaining visa then tough.

This would stop those people who have no intention of working in their nominating skill ever getting a visa.

Yes I know it sounds harsh but this is tough times and whilst my wife sits in CAT 4 currently as a Hairdresser fully qualified with a Full time lined up in my uncles salon Im a bit cheesed off what some people do to get into Oz.

Shane

I fully agree with what you said, but policing it may be an issue :policeman:

I'm currently a student, and fully intend working in the field of my degree at the end of it. That was the reason for coming here, I want a career change and looked into the pros and cons of completing the degree in the UK and over here, and came to the conclusion that overall, taking everything into account, over here is slightly cheaper, plus I'll be qualified to Australian standards/regulations. This means not having to retake exams over here, simply to comply with Australian standards.

Steph

xxxx

Thanks Steph

I was having a rant.

I just think it is a little ass about face !!. The Aussies are messing around with the pipeline so much there starting to be like BP !!. Moving people up and down the pecking order willy nilly only to them eventually grant them a visa and say enjoy your life in oz mate doing whatever job you want as we dont care once your here.

Surely the whole principle behind the process and the jobs list is to give visas to people who will work in the jobs they have applied for if not and they dont bother checking after it should revert to first come first served.

Thanks

Shane

Guest Gollywobbler

Shane

Hi Shane

During 2009 there was a suggestion that Student Visa holders should be given a temporary visa in Oz afterwards, to give them time to find work in the field for which they had studied. The sc 485 visa was not mentioned so it must have been an idea that involved creating a new visa of some sort. The idea was that every skilled worker should only get Temporary Residence to start with (including, eg, a Bricklayer with 20 years' experience of laying bricks in the UK.)

For some reason, the Government did not follow that suggestion (mebbe it was too complicated for the Minister?) Instead they preferred the Convoluted Camel Solution - which is the latest one that everyone is now stuck with.

The present Minister will definitely make Aussie history for being the bloke who introduced the most complicated possible system of dealing with Australia's need to attact skilled migrants to the place.

Hopefully he will soon become part of Australia's history, however. I note that Julia Gillard has been meddling in Australia's Immi Policy again in the last couple of days instead of leaving her Minister for Immi to look after it by himself. Why keep him if she is determined to do his work for him?

Cheers

Gill

Thanks Steph

I was having a rant.

I just think it is a little ass about face !!. The Aussies are messing around with the pipeline so much there starting to be like BP !!. Moving people up and down the pecking order willy nilly only to them eventually grant them a visa and say enjoy your life in oz mate doing whatever job you want as we dont care once your here.

Surely the whole principle behind the process and the jobs list is to give visas to people who will work in the jobs they have applied for if not and they dont bother checking after it should revert to first come first served.

Thanks

Shane

Hi Shane,

We are all entitled to a good rant, believe me I've had a few!!!:biglaugh:

The Aussie government (or should that be Mr Evans) haven't got a clue!!!!

Looking in the local papers there are masses of jobs available for hairdressers and cooks/chefs and most trades here in QLD, yet it is unlikely that any trades will be on the SMP, they seem to want 'professionals', but there are few jobs for them, certainly on the Gold Coast.

I wish you every success in getting your visa, I think that all of the messing about they do could work in your favour, as I think people in the future will not choose Australia as a destination to emigrate therefore reducing the processing time. If we had not already done it, and spent a fair few thousand $$$'s already, we certainly would not consider here.

Steph

xxxx

Guest keenuz

hi everyone ! im reading this forum everyday and aftre reading almost 117 pages i can understand that i may not b able to survive . i came here as a cookery student in 2007 right after completing my cert 3 i stated wrking in a restaurant and its been 2 yrs now im wrking in a restaurant and i have applied for 885 in june this year and survived from july 2010 changes but im pretty sure i will be cap and ceased so my only question is if i wud b lucky enough to survive then how many years immigration will take to assign me case officer . i really dnt have any idea abt priority processings and im not state sponsored just applied after obtaining 1 yr paid exp. any advice will be much appreciated and 1 more thing for students its almost impossible to get ENS no employer will do it and this may give them chance to exploit more students.

k.sandhu

Guest Tranquility

One of my friends here took Diploma of Hospitality and was lucky enough to get a part time job as cook while studying and she was able to accumulate the 900 hours that she needs for her GSM application. She barely passed her IELTS, and even had a 4.5 in reading. At that time, DIAC only requires a minimum of 5.0 in all components of IELTS, she got confused with that and thought that what's needed is an average of 5.0, so even if she had 4.5 in reading she submitted her application. After a few months, she told me that the CO refused the application due to her IELTS results. She was gutted and decided to consult an agent who told her she could try to get a MRT review. The review of her case took more than a year before it was processed so while waiting she decided to take another IELTS exam, again her marks were low but she managed to get 5.0 in all the components of IELTS. She submitted the results to MRT and then when they finally had the chance to look at her case, they told her that she could reapply for a GSM visa since her IELTS results are good enough. The MRT decision was submitted to DIAC, she reapplied and then received her visa grant a few months later.

After a few months of getting her PR, she told me recently that she's now applying to be a train guard for Cityrail and no longer wants to be a cook.

I am very upset, I do not know what the future holds for me, I am a current ICT student, finishing this year, I do not see myself working in another field. IT has always been my passion and I'm prepared to work really hard to be successful. I am also currently working for Optus IT. I think it's very unfair that some people get to apply under easy rules and then just change jobs that quick once they were given a visa. If I really wanted to, I could have switch to hospitality before, pay less fees, finish in 2 years not 3 and get my PR within a few months but I didn't do that since I don't really see myself working as a cook. I want a proper degree not a diploma. All of my friends who took hospitality received their PR a few months ago, while me who did a degree might be sent home if this bill is approved. I'm at my wits end!!! :arghh::arghh::realmad::realmad:

Guest Gollywobbler
hi everyone ! im reading this forum everyday and aftre reading almost 117 pages i can understand that i may not b able to survive . i came here as a cookery student in 2007 right after completing my cert 3 i stated wrking in a restaurant and its been 2 yrs now im wrking in a restaurant and i have applied for 885 in june this year and survived from july 2010 changes but im pretty sure i will be cap and ceased so my only question is if i wud b lucky enough to survive then how many years immigration will take to assign me case officer . i really dnt have any idea abt priority processings and im not state sponsored just applied after obtaining 1 yr paid exp. any advice will be much appreciated and 1 more thing for students its almost impossible to get ENS no employer will do it and this may give them chance to exploit more students.

k.sandhu

Hi there Keeuz

As I understand this, you will improve your chances of escaping the chopping board if you can secure State sponsorship. If you can secure State sponsorship pursuant to an SMP then you are even less likely to get the chop.

It has now been confirmed that none of the States will publish their SMPs until after the General Election is out of the way. Most States are refusing to consider new applications for State sponsorship, but DIAC is busily telling them that they can sponsor any occupation in Schedule 3 of the new SOL. Which makes a mockery of the whole idea imho.

Cook is not in Schedule 3, however, so you can't do anything until the SMPs are published.

Whereabouts are you in Oz? Obviously you will hope that Cook is on the SMP for whichever State you currently live in and are employed in.

Apparently VIC say that they hope to publish their SMP on 1st September but George Lombard thinks that that is optimistic. I agree with George. I think that early October is more realistic.

As far as I know, there is nothing that you can do except to sit and wait for the SMPs.

Cheers

Gill

Guest proud2beaussie
Hopefully he will soon become part of Australia's history,

You can only hope the electors of WA agree with you Gill,Senator Evans is up for re-election this year,he was elected in 2004 and all senators elected at that poll are up this time.

Perhaps anyone affected by the C & C bill or the new processing priority could email,write,ring or visit

senators in their state,maybe these senators may be interested in listening if they think it might mean a vote for them.

This is the full list of sentors up for re-election this time.

Senate Candidate Elected

You never know,a few votes either way may mean a new immi minister!.

Cheers

Nigel

Guest TheStig

The Aussie Government is behaving just as badly now as they did back then, 30 years ago. Sod it. They are the second Aussie official. I have no interest in visiting a country with such a backward regime. I will visit forward-thinking Malaysia instead in future. I don't think that the Aussie Government realises that the rest of us live in a "Global Village" nowadays. I think that the Aussie Minister for Immi is unable to understand that modern life is not a small affair that revolves around his Trades Unions paymasters only. Let him learn the hard way instead, in that case, say I.

Cheers

Gill

Absolutely! During times like this I seriously wonder what I am doing here. I have done my education always topping my cohort, never broken the law, young and hardworking. If Australia dosen't want me, screw it. Christopher (note: that I have never addressed him in any of my posts as Mr. or Senator as he dosen't deserve the respect) has arrongantly said many times that applying for PR in Australia is a privilage and not a right. Well that may be but after lodging an application, I believe every single applicant out there (pre sept 2007 incld) have got every right to have their application assessed and processed! Whether its approved or rejected (Evans better have a bloody good reason for that) is another story. Capping and Ceasing is not the way to go.

I'm still kicking myself on why I chose to come here in the first place (influenced by close family members; aunt and uncles migrated here in the 70's and seem to be living the good life compared to where I was from) when there are soo many beautiful countries out there.. rather than being stuck in this Kangaroo Island.

In Financial investing, we got a term call stop-loss position where you cut your losses to minimise your downside risks. If nothing happens by then, I wil probably head off for greener pastures, armed with a healthy bank balance and my invaluable work experience.

Judging by the ridiculous way things are going, someone should pass a new Bill to Cap and Cease overseas born citizens. Then maybe they could start by capping.. I don't know, maybe those born in 1958 from Cuckfield to be sent back to where they came from... wouldn't think the UK wouldn't want such a moron back anyways. :cool:

Guest Gollywobbler
Absolutely! During times like this I seriously wonder what I am doing here. I have done my education always topping my cohort, never broken the law, young and hardworking. If Australia dosen't want me, screw it. Christopher (note: that I have never addressed him in any of my posts as Mr. or Senator as he dosen't deserve the respect) has arrongantly said many times that applying for PR in Australia is a privilage and not a right. Well that may be but after lodging an application, I believe every single applicant out there (pre sept 2007 incld) have got every right to have their application assessed and processed! Whether its approved or rejected (Evans better have a bloody good reason for that) is another story. Capping and Ceasing is not the way to go.

I'm still kicking myself on why I chose to come here in the first place (influenced by close family members; aunt and uncles migrated here in the 70's and seem to be living the good life compared to where I was from) when there are soo many beautiful countries out there.. rather than being stuck in this Kangaroo Island.

In Financial investing, we got a term call stop-loss position where you cut your losses to minimise your downside risks. If nothing happens by then, I wil probably head off for greener pastures, armed with a healthy bank balance and my invaluable work experience.

Judging by the ridiculous way things are going, someone should pass a new Bill to Cap and Cease overseas born citizens. Then maybe they could start by capping.. I don't know, maybe those born in 1958 from Cuckfield to be sent back to where they came from... wouldn't think the UK wouldn't want such a moron back anyways. :cool:

Hi The Stig

I really don't think that the UK deserves to have Evans back here! The new Parliament is already loaded with no wopers as it is, without any more of them turning up!

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
You can only hope the electors of WA agree with you Gill,Senator Evans is up for re-election this year,he was elected in 2004 and all senators elected at that poll are up this time.

Perhaps anyone affected by the C & C bill or the new processing priority could email,write,ring or visit

senators in their state,maybe these senators may be interested in listening if they think it might mean a vote for them.

This is the full list of sentors up for re-election this time.

Senate Candidate Elected

You never know,a few votes either way may mean a new immi minister!.

Cheers

Nigel

Hi Nigel

Are you sure that Evans is up for re-election this time? I ask because I thought somebody said ages ago that he would not be up for re-election in 2010 unless there were a double dissolution? I haven't read anything about a double dissolution so I assume that this didn't happen?

My sister is an Aussie Citizen, living in Perth. I don't know whether she would be one of Evans' constituents though. He is based NoR in Perth and Elaine and all her Aussie rellies live SoR. She said that none of the members of her Aussie family voted for anyone in the Labor Party last time. They all hoped that the Howard Government would be re-elected, apparently.

If Evans is definitely up for re-election, how can I discover the following info, please:

1. Which suburbs is he the Senator for, or doesn't it work like that?

2. How many votes did he get in 2007 and what was his majority in 2007?

I'd be delighted if he is kicked out of the Senate but I would be content if Gillard merely reshuffles him to an obscure job as the Minister Assisting the Minister for the Backofbeyondup. Anything that would keep him quiet and get him off the international Immigration platform would do fine. (A new job as the Minister Assisting the Minister for Rubbish Carts, mebbe?!)

In terms of Australia's Immigration Policy, I think the man is a woolly-minded, indecisive menace who is getting Australia a dreadful reputation as a right little bureau of double-crossers, intent on shifting the goalposts after the ball has been kicked and after Australia has grabbed people's money, which it then refuses to give back. That does not create a good "image" - especially not for the Aussies who everyone always believed were fair-minded to a fault until Evans got hold of the reins. The international public now knows that Evans and the ALP cannot be trusted not to steal their money and then change their minds (continually) about what they think their Immi rules ought to say. We know that the pollies in the UK are a bunch of crooks but I really thought that the Aussie pollies had higher minds than our grubby lot in the UK.

Cheers

Gill

I couldn't agree more with what is being said. Aust. thinks that more people means a bigger burden. Little do they know that they are in need of people, not solely due to skilled shortages, but in general. You need people to have a country. You need people to build a culture, the economy, social issues, even hopefully, .....one day......... maybe even make a good film for once. Industries are dead and it is no coincidence that there is no art and real culture acceptance over here. My hubby calls this kangaroo island "alcatraz" and rightfully so. He is a filmmaker and editor

We have had our application suspended since May 2008 and we have been in Aust since 05. We are hanging on but we will definitely not degrade ourselves to be allowed to stay here. Everytime I call a state or territory or everytime I apply for a job, they think I was born here cause I even got the accent spot on.

This is sickening. They should be proud to get most of us to become Australians. Do they know that they need people to have a future at all? I wonder.

To anyone who can assist me, is there a link or someone who can assist me to get further information to migrate to the UK?? I would rather be somewhere where there is contact with fellow human beings and where there is art.

I would be happy to receive any info regarding this. Cheers

Guest proud2beaussie

Hi Gill,

Yes he is up this time,however Australia has an unusual voting system in the senate,the senate is the "states" house.there are 12 senators elected from each of the sis states plus 2 from each of the territories making 76 senators,the senate term is 6 years,Senator Evans was elected in 2004 so he comes up this year,HOWEVER in the senate there are TWO methods of voting,an elector can either

vote "above the line" which means that a voter merely needs to select the party that they wish to vote for in the senate or they can vote as they do in the lower house which is where you number each box preferentially,so if ,for example,I wanted to vote for the Labor party senate team I could vote "above the line" and the preferences would be distributed according to how the labor party had decided to distribute their preference,or if I particularly disliked one member of the labor party team I could number all the boxes individually and ensure that candidate got only my last preference.

It's very complicated and the two option system means that it's not possible to find out how many votes Senator Evans received in 2004.

There is an Australian election anaylst employed by the ABC called Antony Green,he has produced a guide that explains senate voting in detail.

Federal Election 2004. How Senate Voting Works. Antony Green's Election Guide. Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC)

I think that explains it better than I ever can.

Cheers

Nigel

They should be proud to get most of us to become Australians. Do they know that they need people to have a future at all? I wonder.

I don't think they need more foreign people...I gues they will say, $60k 4 all of you women- :biglaugh: have 12 kids each!!!

ICT Recent gradutes- let's count how many of us.....there is a thread, anyone intrested please update!

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/91219-lets-count-n-come-together-cat-4-885-ict-recent-grad.html

Guest Gollywobbler
I couldn't agree more with what is being said. Aust. thinks that more people means a bigger burden. Little do they know that they are in need of people, not solely due to skilled shortages, but in general. You need people to have a country. You need people to build a culture, the economy, social issues, even hopefully, .....one day......... maybe even make a good film for once. Industries are dead and it is no coincidence that there is no art and real culture acceptance over here. My hubby calls this kangaroo island "alcatraz" and rightfully so. He is a filmmaker and editor

We have had our application suspended since May 2008 and we have been in Aust since 05. We are hanging on but we will definitely not degrade ourselves to be allowed to stay here. Everytime I call a state or territory or everytime I apply for a job, they think I was born here cause I even got the accent spot on.

This is sickening. They should be proud to get most of us to become Australians. Do they know that they need people to have a future at all? I wonder.

To anyone who can assist me, is there a link or someone who can assist me to get further information to migrate to the UK?? I would rather be somewhere where there is contact with fellow human beings and where there is art.

I would be happy to receive any info regarding this. Cheers

Hi Kokki

I share your opinion about the cultcha. A few years ago, I went to Perth and I was so bored that I cut short a 5 week visit to my sister. She was tied up with her second son, who was born a week after I arrived so we didn't go anywhere that time, because of the baby.

I don't have any children and I'm a career woman. Suburban Perth was just too boring to bother with, so I left after 3 weeks and spent 2 magical weeks in Malaysia on the way back to the UK instead.

As for the accent, forget it. I fail to understand how the Aussies have managed to mangle an ancient and beautiful language. I am told that the new Cap & Kill Bill will enable them "to better manage and more flexibly target" something or other. Are they REAL? That does not meet any standard of adequate English that I know of.

I went into a shop in Perth one day. A dreadful redneck of a bloke told me, "Yew speak the Queen's English. I car nunnerstan yew." I thought, "You ill-mannered little creep. There is no way that I am prepared to spend even one cent in your shop, considering your rudeness. As for English, there is nothing wrong with mine. It is a shame that the same cannot be said for your own." With that thought, I left his emporium.

Cheers

Gill

Archived