anyone cashed in or mover thier super fund back to the UK

possie in brissy

Hi was wandering if anyone who already has/ or is thinking of Going back to the UK. What to do with the super fund you have over here in OZ. whether to "freeze" it, whether it can be cashed in? or whether you can tranfer it back to a UK Pension..... I have tried to research this but have been given all different answers, Even when i called them they couldnt give me a straight anwer is this a bit of a "grey area" with anybody else.....

Appreciate any feedback.

:confused:

If you are a permanent resident then you have to leave it in Australia according to the ATO and you will be able to access it when you reach retirement age. If on the other hand you are a temporary resident then you can (and should) claim it when you leave Superannuation information for temporary residents departing Australia

Thanks Quoll.

You are a wealth of information and support here on POI. Appreciate your feedback. We actually came over here 5 years ago on a permanent residency visa, However became Ozzie citizens in 2008.

So if we was born and bred "ozzie" then decided to retire in the UK could we take our super over there b4 retirment age, or just wait until we retire?????

I am 35 years old, so do i just keep all the super paperwork for another 25 or so years. then reclaim it back.????

Because my husband is in the mining industry he has put in a substantial amount if money into his fund over the past 5 years and I dont wanna see it go down the drain so to speak!!!!

Thanks Quoll (you should become some sort of counsellor or advisor for returnees to the UK. You may end up a millionaire LOL:notworthy:

Thanks Possie

Hi Possie...my husband and I live in the UK now. I am born n bred British, he is born n bred Australian, but is now also a British Citizen. He worked for many years in Australia, in the copper mines in Tassie, and also factory work around Adelaide. He cannot access his aussie super until he is of retirement age, even though he has left Australia permanently. The reason being that if, in future, circumstances change, and he wanted to return to Aus, he woulnt have any pension fund to claim on retirement there. So..it is frozen for the next 15 years or so, invested by the superannuation company. They send out statements to him regularly here in the UK, but boy, the times we wish he could access it now LOL.

British citizens who are temporary residents of Australia who move back to the UK CAN access their super as Quoll says.

Hi Possie...my husband and I live in the UK now. I am born n bred British, he is born n bred Australian, but is now also a British Citizen. He worked for many years in Australia, in the copper mines in Tassie, and also factory work around Adelaide. He cannot access his aussie super until he is of retirement age, even though he has left Australia permanently. The reason being that if, in future, circumstances change, and he wanted to return to Aus, he woulnt have any pension fund to claim on retirement there. So..it is frozen for the next 15 years or so, invested by the superannuation company. They send out statements to him regularly here in the UK, but boy, the times we wish he could access it now LOL.

British citizens who are temporary residents of Australia who move back to the UK CAN access their super as Quoll says.

Ohh Thankyou for that info Verulam I really appreciate that. So would the best thing be to give the super fund our forwarding UK address for us to access statements until we are of retirement age??/

Then we can access the funds....

Great feedback Thanks again

Cheers Possie:cool:

Archived