Citizenship

Peach

Looking a bit far ahead I know, as they haven't even officially given me the visa. But when I do eventually get it, I know it will be the permanent partner visa (subclass 100). I'm interested to learn if we actually need to move to Australia for me to get Citizenship?

Before reading the Citizenship website Australian Citizenship – Spouse or partner of an Australian, I would have thought the answer obvious until I read this quote: "Spouses and partners of Australian citizens do not have an automatic right to Australian citizenship. You will need to apply for citizenship and satisfy the eligibility criteria in the same way as other adult applicants.

However, you may be eligible for a variation to the residence requirement. This means the time you spent overseas while a permanent resident may be counted as time spent in Australia, providing you can demonstrate a close connection to Australia."

My son holds an Australian passport, does this demonstrate a close connection to Australia? Does the counter to my Citizenship start ticking the moment I validate my visa?

I think it usually means that once you've been resident in Aus and e.g. you then have to spend a couple of years away, but your house, business, job etc., are still all in Oz. I don't think your son having a passport helps

I think it just means that you have to have been a permanent resident of Oz for 5 years before you can apply for citizenship! I am in same position have a permanent resident visa with two children who have Aus passports but i have to wait 5 years before i can get citizenship!!

I'd do a search on here for the answer to this. I've seen (I think) Wrussel answer a question on this in the past that was interesting. Though I still think it means having moved to Australia and then moved out of the country again.

There is a residency requirement i.e. to have lived in Australia:

From 1 July 2010 all citizenship applicants will need to meet this residence requirement at the time they apply for Australian citizenship.

• You must have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for 4 years immediately before applying, including 1 year as a permanent resident, and
  • You must not have been absent from Australia for more than 1 year during the 4 year period, including no more than 90 days in the year immediately before applying

Australian Citizenship – Changes to the citizenship residence requirement on 1 July 2010

Archived