Personnel Officer - Qualifications required by Vetassess

Guest Chewie4621

Guest Chewie4621

Has anyone applied to Vetassess for the Personnel Officer occupation under thier CIPD Post Grad Qualifications?

I was looking at doing it but was advised that even though they are accredited by the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority as a Level 7 Post Grad qualification, therefore higher than a bachelor degree, it would not be considered as equivalent to an australian bachelors degree...................I was somewhat surprised by this so wondered whether anyone had tried it.......

:arghh:

Has anyone applied to Vetassess for the Personnel Officer occupation under thier CIPD Post Grad Qualifications?

I was looking at doing it but was advised that even though they are accredited by the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority as a Level 7 Post Grad qualification, therefore higher than a bachelor degree, it would not be considered as equivalent to an australian bachelors degree...................I was somewhat surprised by this so wondered whether anyone had tried it.......

I successfully applied for two - yes two - Vetassess assessments. (My first occupation was taken from the list while the first application was being assessed. :arghh:) Both times I used my degree - Psychology and post grad - CIPD and my CV. I did not however apply as a Personnel Officer as I have not worked in that exact field - I ended up as a training officer for a while and then changed career.

I was told that as long as you have AT LEAST a degree and your CV shows that you have worked in the occupation you are asking to be assessed for, you should be fine.

HOWEVER this is not qualified advice. Things may have changed since I applied (2007) and I don't know your circumstances.

Good luck. :wubclub:

Guest Chewie4621

Thanks for this. To be honest things seem to be changing almost daily at the moment!! LOL!

I don't have a degree, just the CIPD Post grad as I kind of fell into HR so it seemed the logical quals to seek as it is so recognised in the industry. I just don't get why they dontconsided this as it is clearly a level 7 qualification so should therefore be considered at least equiv to an Ozzie bachelors?!?

Hi there

I successfully applied for a Vetassess assessment as Personnel Consultant about 18 months ago. at the time i sent my degree certificate (Business Admin 2.1) and my CIPD certificate, I also sent the course transcripts for both qualifications. when i received the paperwork back it read as though they had only taken my degree into consideration as no references was made to the CIPD diploma.

i guess they simply saw my degree info and my job reference with 10 years in the field and decided that was enough. i have no idea whether they would have taken just the CIPD into account. The way Vetassess look at the skills assessments is very different to some other bodies, ofr example my OH is in IT and doesn't have a degree but had to show 8 years professional level experience in the field...it was a huge amount of work, basically writing a 2000 word report for each module of a an IT degree and then write 2 project reports, provide a CV and references.

To be honest you may be wise to wait and see what the new SOL lists in terms of HR occupations, i'm sorry to sound negative but i don't hold much hope for HR being on the list and having any priority. you may be able to get state sponsorship but again you'll have to wait for the lists...when i've looked in the past only the NT and ACT have even hinted at any HR occupations on their lists. it might not be worth the hassle and money until you know exactly what the SOL says. do you have a partner with skills you could use as a back up plan?

Jo

Guest Chewie4621

Yeah, that is plan A, I am just thinking about plan B now, invade his doesn't pull off. I completely agree with you though, it looks to have been removed from the list and I have only seen on SS listing in ACT. Going to keep my fingers crossed that we can do iron my OH but worst case will see what the lists are for July and whether there is any mileage in any other options. Thanks for your advice.

Rach. X

Guest kukabarra

I am going for this occupation as well. The catch is VETASSESS requires your degree to have at least a year of "relevant" modules. If you have a three year degree, 33% of the modules must be related to the nominated occupation. If you have a four year, 25% of the modules must be related.

I have a three year degree in business with 1:1. But even then, I am not sure if it will be considered relevant enough. God knows what they are looking for. There are not many BA in HR degrees out there, so if a BA in Business won't suffice, god help us all!

Do keep us posted on how your assessment went.:goofy::goofy:

Hey Kukabarra

i don't think you need to wory too much. my degree was a 3 year degree which was business admin with environmental policy. 25% of the modules were on envirnmental policy, the remaining ones were general business modules but as far as i can remember only one or two were HR specific. as a HR professional you'd be expected to have a fundamental knowledge of general business such as finance, stats, econimics etc.

I don't know for certain but i think that VETASSESS are checking to see that you have a qualification equivilent to an Australian Batchelors degree and that its in a similar field to your nominated occupation so a business degree should be OK. the key will be demonstrating that you have also worked in that field for long enough to claim that is your occupation. for instance if you have the degree but have only ever worked at HR admin level i doubt they would approve you as a HR "Officer". i'd recommend you strictly follow the DIAC guidelines when getting your job reference drafted as DIAC as well as VETASSESS will be looking for evidence of work experience.

all the best JO

Hi both - the new SOL is out and no HR occupations are on there so you need to move to plan B - wait for the SMPs which will be out later this year (according to today's announcement) and see if HR is on there.

we are now off to find out whether my OH's IT Occupation which he recently got assessed equates to one of the IT oneson the new SOL AHHHH this is never ending but we'll get there

Guest Chewie4621

Good luck!!! Just looked at the list myself as well. I am already thinking whether i may need a plan B,C,D and E!!!!! Fingers crossed your OT is on there. X

Guest kukabarra
Hi both - the new SOL is out and no HR occupations are on there so you need to move to plan B - wait for the SMPs which will be out later this year (according to today's announcement) and see if HR is on there.

we are now off to find out whether my OH's IT Occupation which he recently got assessed equates to one of the IT oneson the new SOL AHHHH this is never ending but we'll get there

Yeah I just saw the new SOL list. They are hell bent on making immigrating to Australia as hard as possible, aren't they?

:arghh::arghh::arghh:

Guest kukabarra

By the way, what are state migration plans? If the occupation is not even on the SOL list, how can the states sponsor you?

from what i have read States can still sponsor migrants whose skills are not on the SOL - i guess they may use the old list or the employer list. the state plans will have to be approved by the DIAC (or the minister) but can still have different occupations on there. i think i saw it on the DIAC announcement yesterday in one of the factsheets or FAQs. the site also says that any SMPs will be announced in the second half of 2010 - this could mean 1 July or as late as December!!

the other option is to get an employer sponsor as the employer list is longer than the SOL but unless you've already worked in Oz, or know someone there i think this is a difficult route.

i don't like all this speculation and waiting...I hardly slept last night after seeing the SOL and now i am officially obsessed with this site. i just sit here with the laptop reading post after post on the migration issues pages to see if there is any news. i'm going to have to limit my time on here before i lose the plot ha ha

Guest Chewie4621

Yeah, I'm the same, just keep looking at all the posts! I am just keeping my fingers well and truely crossed that we can gets Skills assessment and visa on OH's occupation!!

Guest gmac

Hi All,

Having seen the new SOL yesterday I don't know where to start really.

I have applied for a 176 PR Visa with my occupation as HR Manager. The skills assessment for this occupation was carried out by AIM. My first point is that at first glance it appears that managers assessed by AIM have been removed from the new SOL.

Secondly I also had a positive skills assessment by VETASSESS as a vocational teacher. I get the impression that VETASSESS pass anyone with an overseas qualification from a recognised institution which is equivalent to an Australian first degree.

Regarding HR occupations I guess VETASSESS have no system in place for benchmarking professional qualifications such as the UK's CIPD post graduate qualification, wheras AIM gave me recognition for being upgraded to Chartered status from Graduate status, as this demonstrated a certain number of years experience at management level responsibility, together with demonstrating clear continuing professional development. Another point is that AIM may have also have taken my MBA qualification into consideration.

I suggest that if you go for a VETASSESS assessment, regardless of your job title, you will need to demonstrate your professional experience to DIAC in order to pass the points test necessary to qualify for a PR Visa. Hope this helps a few people.

Cheers,

Gary

thats interesting Gary.

i was originally hoping to go for he AIM assessment but when i researched it and contacted AIM i didn't think i would be able to demonstrate i had worked at a senior level. i work in a large organisation with over 250 people in the HR function...although i'm in a senior role and write papers for the board, implement group wide policy etc i don't run a large department (although others in the same job level as me run all of the contact centre teams. did you have to show you worked at a 'head of dept' level or just the qualifications and length of time in role?

in terms of your situation if you wait for the SMPs to come out you may get good news. i do recall that one or two states had the HR Manager code on their on demand list plust a couple of others (NT and ACT) had 'HR professionals' so the HRM, Personnel consultant and Personnel Officer. if they are still in demand then hopefully they will be on the new lists and you should be higher up the priority list - sponsorship under a SMP was priority 2 in the Feb announcement.

good luck!

Jo

Guest gmac

Hi Jo,

The answer to your query regarding the AIM skills assessment is not a straightforward one. However I will answer to the best of my ability.

Firstly, AIM must be a respected organisation for management professionalism in Australia for DIAC to appoint them to select candidates for GSM.

Secondly, I recall that in order to pass AIM's assessment you need to demonstrate that you impacted on a number of functions not merely HR.

My application to AIM included my work experience on a consultancy basis, where my role influences the decision makers and policy formulators within the organization to impact on strategy making at an organizational level, as well as the functional or individual level.

Thanks for the update with regards SMP. My brother lives in North Perth so I will keep my eye open for when WA release their's in the first instance. Who knows, we might already have our PR visas by then!

Cheers,

Gary

Guest kukabarra

Hi, the managerial occupations normally means middle-senior management.

You have to have a lot of people under you to pass their skill assessment. It is quite hard hence my agent advised me against going for it.

It is not just, oh I have 20 employees under me so I am a manager. They don't work that way.

• 2 years later...

Hi there Chewie4621.

Please could you confirm whether you had a positive Skills Assessment with your level 7 CIPD?

I am just starting the process...like you...with CIPD level 7, 12 yrs HR experience (5 yrs post-qualification)...but NO DEGREE.

Any advice, guidance would be much appreciated!

• 8 months later...

Archived