Year 11 Deb dresses

ozzbound

Its our eldest daughters Deb this year and we are going looking for dresses this weekend. I am VERY scared of the prices.. her friend is selling her dress from last year for $300 so I am thinking they will cost around $500 which to be honest I can't afford to pay:embarrassed: It is $75 for the meal and $200 for dance lessons which are compulsary - this is the local government run school too...

We looked on the internet to hire one but nothing was coming up on the search.

Has anyone any ideas or experiences of finding cheaper dresses? We are in Mt Martha. I was thinking they might be cheaper in Dandenong??

Please help!!

Have you thought about a dress maker? You may be able to get something made for less. Also end of season sales .... you may be able to pick up a bargain

I will search out a dressmaker or two and see what they say you just never know!

We are going looking around the shops this weekend too will let you know how we get on

I will search out a dressmaker or two and see what they say you just never know!

We are going looking around the shops this weekend too will let you know how we get on

I've got this to come in a couple of years as my daughter is in year 10 now so it's 'mocktails' this year which is more casual (thankfully), Spring Fling (fancy dress) year 11 and then the big one

• 4 weeks later...
Its our eldest daughters Deb this year and we are going looking for dresses this weekend. I am VERY scared of the prices.. her friend is selling her dress from last year for $300 so I am thinking they will cost around $500 which to be honest I can't afford to pay:embarrassed: It is $75 for the meal and $200 for dance lessons which are compulsary - this is the local government run school too...

We looked on the internet to hire one but nothing was coming up on the search.

Has anyone any ideas or experiences of finding cheaper dresses? We are in Mt Martha. I was thinking they might be cheaper in Dandenong??

Please help!!

Have you tried looking on some of the American dress sites - loads of choice and I bet even with shipping probably a cheaper option.http://www.newyorkdress.com/Homecoming_Dresses.html

Guest JulieW

I got my daughter's from an American website and the service and quality were fantastic. We put in her measurements, chose the style and colour (with loads of choices) and 10 days later, the dress arrived. It was beautifully made and fitted perfectly. Total cost: $170!!! Dressmakers in Melbourne were quoting $600 and would have taken ages and needed loads of fittings! I will look out the website and post it.

I am bringing a load of dresses over from the UK a lot cheaper than the prices you are quoting I used to sell prom wear along with my wedding tiaras and jewellery the container is due to arrive this coming week and I will send the pics with prices if anyone emails once they have arrived.

Please be aware that some of the USA websites have taken monies and failed to deliver dresses to the UK girls we heard this so often whilst in our shop from disappointed girls

If you haven't found a dress yet, there is a shop called Ravish which sells formal dresses, including deb dresses. They have different prices, but you could check them out.

ravish.com.au is the website I think. You could ring them and check prices if you wanted to. The shop is at Knox Westfield Shoppingtown in Wantirna Sth but they might have one somewhere else. You may have already found something though.

Thanks everyone for your replies we only just got one today from a place in Dandenong on the main street - Leah S Designs 233 Lonsdale Street - great place with plenty of choice.

But ours was $99 i could not believe it there were some dresses we had seen elsewhere in the $500 bracket for $350 so some savings to be had there..

We looked at hiring it would have been $360 for 1 night!!!!!! and the dresses were not so white :frown:

Guest juliemtaylor

glad you found a dress, keep it for me to use for my daughter in a few year then!!

any luck with courses?

Julie x

Archived