esperance or geraldton ?

Guest boslowen

Guest Kornish

G'day, Trewellard on the coast road between St. Ives & St. Just Strangely when I was a child I couldn't wait to get out & moved to London as a Conductor. However I now appreciate Cornwall. My Mum & Dad are still in Trewellard. We use to go to hayle a lot as My Mum & Dad owned the pub in the village so we used to go to Bookers Cash & Carry for supplies. Just to clarify I assume OH means other half?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest boslowen

sorry Kornish. it was meant to be a question for MongooseB , as her OH (other half ) had an interview on the 5th........still quite new to this site and trying to get to grips with how it works....cheers.

Guest Kornish

I know what you mean! these forums do too much sometimes! There are icons everywhere. At least I know why I couldn't understand the question. I didn't realise they were still interviewing on the 5th or is that interviews for fitters? as somebody else posted that Davinia & Mick have gone back to Oz.

We should all know in 3 weeks time! So much to prepare on my side! How about everyone else? If its November it will be here very quick! Too quick, Oh its never too quick is it really? How could living over there instead of here come too quick? Winter here, summer there!

Guest Brummo

Hi, just registered on this forum so please bear with me.

We too have gone through the interview stage and are waiting to hear. We were told by Paula that we would hear by the end of August and we would be required to go, if successful, in January 2011. So much to do, do we rent or sell the house, do we sell the cars? Confused, in limbo can't move forward!!!!! Do you all feel like this?:arghh:

Guest Kornish

G'day Brummo, gather your a Brummie? Are you a Freight driver? Yes I'm almost feeling the same! Its an excitement full of fear at the same time! Will I get a phone call telling me I'm not succesful? I sincerely hope not! I know inside that I will never return to live in the UK. This has been an ambition of mine for many years! I thought I was going to have to wait until retirement! I have already sold my car, I now bike everywhere, I've even bought a trailer that fits on my bike. I have had a few chats with Nick an ARG driver based in Kalgoorlie (used to work for Freightliner at Ferrybridge). His friend imported his car from the UK and it was still cheaper than buying the same car in Australia, so he tells me.

I'm intend renting my house, it will cover the morgage and don't forget the £ is P**s weak against everything @ the moment! So you will hopefully be better off renting, wait for the £ to improve then sell if you need to & take the equity to Oz. Also it gives you a comfort zone if you decide Oz is not for you & you need to come back to the

UK. Think of all the fees you would save if you had to rebuy you'd be paying all that lovely stamp duty etc! The other good point is keeping it will provide a fairly good pension.:twitcy:

Guest boslowen

yes...we too are in limbo...have felt like this for ages now, really want to move forward....to oz with a bit of luck. seems so long ago when i went for the interview, just hope to hear some good news soon.

Guest Brummo

morning all , no kornish i'm not a brummie. brummo comes from my second name, i currently work for EMT out of notts worked for jarvis (fastline) driving tampers, stoneblowers etc before that. doing my head in not knowing but hopefully wont be long now, if we are succesful does anyone no how much a drivers medical costs and anybody that does them

Guest Guardian Angel

Hi Guys

About the car situation. Have a look at www.drive.com.au is probably one of the biggest sites here. Once you complete the initial page on what you sort of are looking for you can then break it down to State etc..It give you a good grounding of what prices are and it has private sales and dealership sales, it depends on what car you want to bring in or whether you want a different style car here i.e. holden (vauxhall) V8 SS etc cars, much larger than the UK models. Also, insurance is next to nothing here compared to there, a V8 is about 1500 bucks to insure here and its for all drivers, i.e. everyones kids at 17 drives them, impossible to do in the UK. If you have a particular car there then yes bring it, but if you had a beema or another type car like that there are only 2 or three places to get them fixed and its expensive i.e. if your cooler fans split your airconditioning units will cost massive amounts here, massive, so thats something worth checking out aswell, we do not have generic car parts here like Halfords, there are a few but a lot of the big makes are changing things and making cheap imports impossible. Also the rules are changing shortly for any car after 1995 not to have any changes on it at all, it will cause a yellow sticker to take over the pits and turn it back to its original format, that includes these flash wheels that everyone uses, it will be compulsory to make standard. Not sure when its coming it but it will, my daughter was going to get a cam and alsorts but it would cost her 8k bucks so if the law does change, another 8k bucks to turn it back to standard. If you're car freaks, then pre 1995 you can get what you want lol..

Everyone I know from the UK turns car freak lol..because there is such a fantastic range of performance cars here..

I'm a fitter and had my interview on the 6th, new to this and just reading all the posts taking in all thats being said. I've been told my position, if successful would be in geraldton, no choice of esperance. Not sure whether to sellor rent house, car's definately not coming with me, starting to show signs of wear and tear!!

Hi all, We're in same position as you all its nice to know youre not on you're own :smile: we've been reading your posts for weeks now and have found them sooo helpful so thanx for that. We're hoping to go out jan 2011 my hubby and I with our 2 beautiful daughters (ages will be 13 & 11 when we get there) both they're bday's are in early Jan. does anyone know what school years they'll be in? We also have 2 lovely older boys (21 & 17 - not boys really) and they're not coming with us :heart_head_crying_t and this alone is tearing me apart. I wondered if any of you are in a similar situation or could offer any advice?

WOW this is going to be a long month.....

Guest Guardian Angel

Hi the school situation is for the 11 year old who's 12 in January 2011 so they will be in year 7 here, which is still unfortunately at whats called primary school, same as juniors but they just still call it primary. You go to senior school when you are 13 in that year, so thats year 8.

Will pm you about other kids

Hi there. I found this on WA Education site. Right hand side there's a starting school calculator. I was trying to work out when my 4 year old who starts September in UK would start over there. I've spent 6 months building him up for "Big School" and didn't want to then be saying "Actually, you're not going now!". Anyway, it may help you work out which year for older ones??

Jane

Early Childhood Education

Guest Cheesetoasties

Hi guys and gals...not 100% sure, someone put me right otherwise but i believe that Paula may have flown back to oz possibly yesterday or today...A friend of mine who has also applied had his interview on Monday just gone..he tried contacting her and the phone is off......could this mean she is airbourne....if so I recon names will begin to be crunched on monday next week so by Fri some of us may start hearing....vrrrrrrddd

or maybe not? I hope so I`m busting to know now and my missus is like a 10 year old whose off to disneyland

good luck all :biggrin:

Guest dr snapper

Hi Guys! Just a quick note to let u know that we are also in the same position as alot of u! Had my interview in late July and was told that Esperance was no longer available Geraldton is a definate and that there may also be other depots! Good luck to everyone involved im sure we will hear soon enough!

Hi guys and gals...not 100% sure, someone put me right otherwise but i believe that Paula may have flown back to oz possibly yesterday or today...A friend of mine who has also applied had his interview on Monday just gone..he tried contacting her and the phone is off......could this mean she is airbourne....if so I recon names will begin to be crunched on monday next week so by Fri some of us may start hearing....vrrrrrrddd

or maybe not? I hope so I`m busting to know now and my missus is like a 10 year old whose off to disneyland

good luck all :biggrin:

Hi Guys,

I spoke to Paula earlier this week, she told me her phone would be switched off at 3pm on weds cos she had a few days off with her husband in London before returning to Oz on Saturday. I asked about when we could expect to hear anything and she said (sorry to be bearer of bad news :sad:) more likely to be very last week this month or even possibly early Sept. so dont be too disheartened if you dont hear anything soon!

Very best of luck everyone!

Guest Cheesetoasties

Do`h........................ah well thanks for the clarification Moll. Have to sit with a jittery bum a tad longer :jiggy:

cheesey

Guest Brummo

hello all, does anyone no how much it costs to ship furniture to geraldton, and ive heard that we start on 6 months prebation can any one clarify this

Guest Kornish

Hi Brummo. Check out this Forum RailChat.co.uk • Login There is a load of info here! This link is specifically titled ARG movers! Some of the people on this forum are on here! Me now included. Thats where I found about the 6 months probation clause in the contract. Theres also info about shipping furniture etc. A 20 foot container which is one of those steel boxes we see on Freightliner trains, costs arround £4000 to ship to Perth and another £1000+ from Perth to Geraldton. However I know that it is feasible to share these boxes so if you can find someone who wants to share obviously this reduces the cost. I assume your a little concerned about the 6 month probation. This is my main concern. I'm giving up a good thing!

I'm not sure if I can name companies on here but there's a well known removal company (rhymes with mick fords lol) that share containers to keep costs down! of course they do full containers also. the only downside to the shared option is that it can take upto 9 weeks before you get your furniture. :cute: