Defacto visa question

llessur

I have lived with my girlfriend who has both Australian and British citizenship for a year or so now - although, as she moved in with me into my shared flat, she has never been on the tennancy agreement.

In the next couple of years we are looking to move to Australia and I would be doing so on a defacto partner visa. We are a genuine couple who already have a joint bank account, shared travel etc dating back a year or so. I'm a hoarder by nature so have loads of records of this - emails, travel tickets etc etc and we have plenty of evidence (bills, bank correspondence etc) to show that we are living a shared life at the same address.

My only concern is that the fact my girlfriend is not officially on my tennancy agreement might cause problems. I would raise this with my landlord but I am worried that the landlord might put the rent up significantly and/or request an extra deposit if she knew there was an extra person at the address - we really can't afford this at the moment.

Does anybody have any experience of this? Do you think it would be a dealbreaker in a year or two when we apply for the visa?

We've got time on our side so I can speak to the landlord if needed but I would like to avoid this if at all possible.

Many thanks!

I wouldnt worry about the tenancy. My Husband isnt on ours, he moved in with me and the tenancy has stayed the same as I'm too lazy to go change it. DIAC never questioned it when we applied, dont actually think I sent them the tenancy!

What matters is that you have been living together which can be proved by both of your official documents, bank statments, HMRC documents, DVLA etc are being sent to the same address over the 12 month (or more) period. You can also have your parents / friends etc do satutory declarations to say they know you live together.

We didnt send our tenancy papers and it hasnt been asked for) as there were spelling mistakes and still showed my partners parents address, even though she was living with me in my houseshare before we got our own flat. We just sent in coies of correspondance to both of us showing that we both lived at the same address. Just do as you said you already do and keep hoarding stuff with your names on it sent to the same address

Guest rachandjon

Yep, if you don't have the tenancy then you prove you've been living together with letters to the same address. My husband and I have been living with my M-I-L so only had this and it was fine...

Guest somsy77

Dont raise this with your landlord, if you have loads of other docs addressed to both of you either together (joint bank statements, bills), or individually (esp official stuff like NHS appts, etc) for that all important 12 month period exact to the day you make your application.

My OH has never been on my tenancy agreement although my landlord was aware of him living on the property, was just lazy to get it changed.

I sent in bank statements for the joint account, as well as statements from our individual accounts for a period starting 12 months prior to sending application in. All showing same address for both. And bills (gas/elec) with both our names on it.

I also sent about 5 pieces of 'official' letters (from NHS, my college, his work, etc) each bearing the same address for both of us, distributed over the 12 month period.

Haven't been asked for anything more. Funnily enough got asked for my previous passport copy thats all.

Let us know if you have any more questions!

My only concern is that the fact my girlfriend is not officially on my tennancy agreement might cause problems. I would raise this with my landlord but I am worried that the landlord might put the rent up significantly and/or request an extra deposit if she knew there was an extra person at the address - we really can't afford this at the moment.

Does anybody have any experience of this? Do you think it would be a dealbreaker in a year or two when we apply for the visa?

We've got time on our side so I can speak to the landlord if needed but I would like to avoid this if at all possible.

Many thanks!

Archived