New skills list to be announced in may 2010

Guest Birdiesinoz

Hi Maria, if you go to the site to start a new visa app the site now has the message that they have temporarily suspended certain GSM visa's and the options for 175, 176 and 475 are greyed out so they have ACTUALLY stopped anyone from submitting these. So fingers crossed for us that as we could actually submit then we are IN.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, this is our first post..

What a day... firstly we'd stayed up pretty much all night to watch election so shattered. Then about to go to work this morning when our agent, John Adams phoned to tell us what was going on and that there were only a few hours left - and we'd only spoken to him yesterday to say we'd be lodging next week. We got to his office with all our documents and managed to lodge with a huge team effort at 11.25 UK time (20.25 in Sydney). Huge thanks to John, Tiffany and Andrew (Happy Birthday).

Mind you, we are confused too at the submission date on the receipt as the credit card bit clearly says 20.25 on 07/05 but the other bit says 08/05.. I think they'd find it difficult to say we weren't lodged on time.

All I can is without John Adams and his team we would not have even had the chance - we would not have even known until too late and it's highly likely we won't be on the new list. Huge thank you. Good luck to everybody, now let's wait and see..hope they don't change their mind on a whim again..

Guest Chewie4621

How annoying is all this???

We only decided to start making efforts to get a visa a short while ago so the only saving grace is that we have not yet parted with any money:smile:

Real downside is that I am a HR Manager and Hubby is a Procurement Manager - neither will be on the new list!! Really miffed as I really wanted to make it happen!

I am now debating - should I wait for the new list then give up my job and gain quals and experience in a trade on the new list !!! :wacko:

i dont know wether to feel cross or just say ah well just have to wait and see.

we have just sent off our skills ass to ANMC today, and have have of our online visa done, and cudt finish it until we have the skills asses number back, so dont know if this will now all chage, or if our old trans number for the online APP will still be valiad to continue it when things are back on again !!!!!!!!!

i would like to think that nurses will be still on the new SOL that is out end of MAY/JUNE.

we thought a few ppl posted that they just submitted there online visa to get it started then sent docs etc later on, but the application would not let us finish unless we had the skills number etc.:swoon:

Regulations announced this morning implementing the decision to suspend the offshore general skilled migration program, and the explanatory statement explains it in these terms:

An announcement of the proposed future changes to the SOL is required to address current uncertainty in the community in relation to which occupations will be on the new list. In the meantime, the Regulations will prevent an anticipated surge in certain GSM visa applications that require an occupation on the SOL to be nominated, and allow visas to be granted to persons outside of Australia. This will prevent applicants whose skills may not meet Australia’s skills shortages from making certain GSM applications.

Link to this and the legislative machinery is ComLaw Legislative Instruments - Migration Amendment Regulations 2010 (No. 5) (SLI 2010 No. 90) .

I imagine there will be litigation - because for some people their last option has been removed without warning - and suggest that people adversely affected by this form a dedicated thread.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest theredmenace

Im hoping that this means anyone applying for a 176 from July will be fast tracked if theyre on the SOL and SMP (though Gawd knows when theyll be out). Fingers crossed everybody

Then again - when are the elections going to be and will that be the next stumbling block??

Carry on Cleo 1964

Carry on Doctor 1967

Carry on Up the Khyber 1968

Carry on Australia 2010 (not as funny as the above)

Hi Maria

We can get in now, AND, it says processing commenced 7th May 2010. woo hoo.

Claire

Sorry Claire i haven't been on since earlier, I'm delighted you got in to the system at least you know your IN yippee!!!!! Enjoy your baby's birthday and keep in touch.

Maria.x

What a day we had today!!! Well done to all who got their applications in on time and have a great weekend.

THANKS to all on PIO today who gave advice it was invaluable:notworthy:

I was lucky i could apply with family sponsorship, i had also applied to SA for state sponsorship on the 13th of April, i sent off my hard copies but as of Tue the 4th of may they still hadn't been received by SA ,so i e-mailed them to see what the story was. They told me they hadn't received them and to resend them "ASAP" so i sent them straight away by courier as i was afraid i would not make the 14th of may deadline (silly me).Now i see they have also suspended all applications IM SO PIXXED OFF WITH THEM their blaming DIAC BUT AS FAR AS I KNOW NO OTHER STATE'S HAVE CLOSED APPLACATIONS.

Well I suppose at least i could apply, the state sponsorship will have to wait.

Maria.x

P.S I'm enjoying my vino girls hope you are too LOL.....LOL:biglaugh: XXX.

What I think the minister and DIAC are trying to do is prevent a surge of applicants under the rule, the same as they had preseptember 2007 and whenever they changed rules. They have announced capping and ceasing for preseptember 2007 applicants but not implemented as they must have realised the practical and legal difficulty of doing so. In a way this is a wise move though unfair to those who were planning to apply.

What I think the minister and DIAC are trying to do is prevent a surge of applicants under the rule, the same as they had preseptember 2007 and whenever they changed rules. They have announced capping and ceasing for preseptember 2007 applicants but not implemented as they must have realised the practical and legal difficulty of doing so. In a way this is a wise move though unfair to those who were planning to apply.

Yes, Rahul I agree with you that this has been a fair decision as there will be some respite for the staff who is handling the backlog od files. Let us hope they will start processing Pre - September applications. God save us from Ceasing. And fair decision would be taken by the DIAC. Now pray for something which is going to come in coming few months. Well this has been fair decision by DIAC as more people should not ride onto the roller coaster. Instead show the destination to those who are already on the roller coaster for last few years like me, Rahul and few more.

Hi the announement yesterday has completely stopped us in our tracks we are awaiting our TRA back. I cannot find the information on the DIAC's website, each state considering the State Migration Plans there was a map of each state and an update as to what there intentions are. Can anyone help me find it ???????

Guest VickyMel

Hi Littlesmiler

I think this is the site you were thinking of

State Migration Plans: Australian Visa Bureau

Its not a government site and a bit out of date now

You might also be interested in this thread set up by Kelly - asking for anyone to post if they hear anything on the SMPs

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/78823-state-migration-plan-what-states-saying.html#post682477

Sorry you got caught up in yesterdays changes - I think there will be a few more along the route to the visa for all of us - hopefully it is just a delay of a month or two for you.

VickyMel

Yes, Rahul I agree with you that this has been a fair decision as there will be some respite for the staff who is handling the backlog od files. Let us hope they will start processing Pre - September applications. God save us from Ceasing. And fair decision would be taken by the DIAC. Now pray for something which is going to come in coming few months. Well this has been fair decision by DIAC as more people should not ride onto the roller coaster. Instead show the destination to those who are already on the roller coaster for last few years like me, Rahul and few more.

They have clearly announced that they will be processing files according to the priority processing in place. That means they will not process any preseptember 2007 files. So dont get u r hopes up. After they announce the SOL they might just proceed with cap and cease.

They have clearly announced that they will be processing files according to the priority processing in place. That means they will not process any preseptember 2007 files. So dont get u r hopes up. After they announce the SOL they might just proceed with cap and cease.

Rahul hope is what we can do for last 3 years. YEs they might announce something for for Cap and Cease along with new SOL....HOPE FOR THE BEST for everyone.

Hi VB / Rahul. Sorry I can't agree with you on this being a FAIR decision. They gave probably thousands of applicants false hope with the date of 1 July. Since 8 Feb many people who had already started the process have spent their hard earned cash on assessments, IELTS, state sponsorships etc and unfortunately have been caught out in this sudden decision. How can that be fair?

Just like they were not FAIR to annouce Cap & Cease and the Sept 09 changes.

There are right ways of doing things and wrong way of doing things, and they, in my opinion were wrong to make this sudden decision leaving lots of people in limbo once again and shattering dreams.

Australia needs migration, so does need people to "ride the roller coaster" otherwise when all the skilled workers are retired, who is going to pay their pensions and support the economy?

I know you have had a long wait and have been caught up in for a few years now but spare a thought for all those who now may never get the chance.

We for one, were very lucky and are now on the roller coaster after successfully lodging yesterday and if it wasn't for PIO and George and Alan then we would been one of the many who are now in limbo.

I hope you receive your Visa's soon as you have had a long wait.

Claire

Hi VB / Rahul. Sorry I can't agree with you on this being a FAIR decision. They gave probably thousands of applicants false hope with the date of 1 July. Since 8 Feb many people who had already started the process have spent their hard earned cash on assessments, IELTS, state sponsorships etc and unfortunately have been caught out in this sudden decision. How can that be fair?

Just like they were not FAIR to annouce Cap & Cease and the Sept 09 changes.

There are right ways of doing things and wrong way of doing things, and they, in my opinion were wrong to make this sudden decision leaving lots of people in limbo once again and shattering dreams.

Australia needs migration, so does need people to "ride the roller coaster" otherwise when all the skilled workers are retired, who is going to pay their pensions and support the economy?

I know you have had a long wait and have been caught up in for a few years now but spare a thought for all those who now may never get the chance.

We for one, were very lucky and are now on the roller coaster after successfully lodging yesterday and if it wasn't for PIO and George and Alan then we would been one of the many who are now in limbo.

I hope you receive your Visa's soon as you have had a long wait.

Claire

Dear Claire

I never called the decision FAIR. If anything I think it is UNFAIR. Please read my original post. You are reacting to a comment on my post by Virtual Bajwa who has called it a fair decision. Not me.

Regards

Rahul

Dear Claire

I never called the decision FAIR. If anything I think it is UNFAIR. Please read my original post. You are reacting to a comment on my post by Virtual Bajwa who has called it a fair decision. Not me.

Regards

Rahul

Hi rahul, my apologies for including you in this comment.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

I think that everyone feels totally stressed out by teh Minister's Latest Announcement, myself included when I am not even applying for a visa and I am not a migration agent either, so I don't get caught in the backlash of people's worries unless the person happens to have become a personal friend of mine. I could spit nails on behalf of my friends, obviously, except that it would not do any good.....

I think that George Lombard and Alan Collett both went out of their way yesterday and told people what to do. I think it is quite fantastic that both of them went out of their way to help the visa applicants, and I take my hat off to both of them for doing so.

I don't think that now is a good time for recriminations and quarrels abut who said what to whom and when they said it. None of that is useful to the current (and new) situation.

I can understand where Virtual Bajwa is coming from. VB - I suspect that the latest rubbish about "suspending" GSM applications "temporarily" is actually another name for using the S39 Cap & Cease provisions in a way that the Consul-General or whoever he is has not signed off formally as yet.

The Minister now knows that if he says, "Cap & Kill," the market gets ready to kill him.

God knows whether his flunkeys warned him that the market would not put up with the Minister's and the flunkeys' own glib little ideas, but the feedback has shown both of them that plenty of Aussie lawyers are lying in wait. They are lying in wait to sue the socks off the Minister and DIAC - so if I were the Minister, I would think twice about trying to ride roughshod over the lawyers.

I can see Virtual Bajwa's point of view completely. If it was "fair" to shaft him then it is equally "fair" to shaft later visa applicants as well. Whether any of it is actually "fair" - objectively - is another matter, I reckon - but VB did not claim that the ethos of the whole thing is 'fair' and I know for a fact that he is a very intelliegent, enlightened man who does not believe that any of this is "fair." It just depends on the narrow context in which the word "fair" might be used, it seems to me.

Cheerrs

Gill

Archived