Rayman1 4 weeks on

Guest rayman1

Guest rayman1

Hi all. Going good back in UK. Spring is here. Me and wife both have work now. Kids loving school, son been accepted in 2 6th forms. Lovely rental with view to buy. Friends and family soo glad we are back. My mental state has improved so much and everyone is so glad I am my old self.

Wouldn't change the past because it has opened our eyes to so many things and we now look at things in a completely different way. (wish we could get the thousands back though we have spent on a long bloody holiday so say LOL).

For all the people who call Australia home, good on you. For all them who want to return, go for it. Don't feel a failure. It has worked out great for us. The UK is good, and don't listen to the silly doom and gloom merchants out there.

Hi all. Going good back in UK. Spring is here. Me and wife both have work now. Kids loving school, son been accepted in 2 6th forms. Lovely rental with view to buy. Friends and family soo glad we are back. My mental state has improved so much and everyone is so glad I am my old self.

Wouldn't change the past because it has opened our eyes to so many things and we now look at things in a completely different way. (wish we could get the thousands back though we have spent on a long bloody holiday so say LOL).

For all the people who call Australia home, good on you. For all them who want to return, go for it. Don't feel a failure. It has worked out great for us. The UK is good, and don't listen to the silly doom and gloom merchants out there.

So glad for you- we are trying to stick it out for a full year as only been here 3 months lol!

So pleased you have settled back into the Uk. We have been back 6 weeks now, and my children love being back and have settled right back into school. I enjoy seeing family and friends everyday where i would not see anyone for days in oz except for work colleagues and mums at the school. I'm not saying i would not like to return to Australia, but at the moment i am quite content with my life here.

Tania x

Guest mozziebite

Ah Rayman - so pleased you are feeling like your old self, I know exactly what you mean, I haven't felt like 'me' since I got off the plane!

I can't wait to get back to see my family and friends and I don't know what the hell we were thinking of sometimes!! I too have no regrets, Australia is a lovely place, not for me tho (or my kids either) and people do make you feel like a failure for going back...but its just a 'place' and unless that place has people you love, people you get on with and can laugh til you cry with then I may as well be on the moon - it has beautiful beaches (so does the UK), nice people (so does the UK), idiots |(so does the UK) etc etc - there are good points and faults in both countries its where you and your family feel happiest and for me (and you by the sounds) its the UK 100%

All the Aussies and UK folk I know in Oz have been amazed we are going back - excuse me everyone errr its not that bad in the UK! I am having to explain myself over and over, I feel as tho I am apologising for leaving, finding it quite amusing tho...

Still it takes a move like this to realise what you had all along I reckon!

For all the people who call Australia home, good on you. For all them who want to return, go for it. Don't feel a failure. It has worked out great for us. .

So glad things are working out and you're feeling more your old self (or is it a new and improved version lol).

Hope you carry on posting ... be good for the potential returnees to know how you're doing and your posts always seem fair and balanced.

Agree with your sentiments (which I quoted), if you love it great, if you don't then do what you need to do

Ali x

Ah Rayman - so pleased you are feeling like your old self, I know exactly what you mean, I haven't felt like 'me' since I got off the plane!

I can't wait to get back to see my family and friends and I don't know what the hell we were thinking of sometimes!! I too have no regrets, Australia is a lovely place, not for me tho (or my kids either) and people do make you feel like a failure for going back...but its just a 'place' and unless that place has people you love, people you get on with and can laugh til you cry with then I may as well be on the moon - it has beautiful beaches (so does the UK), nice people (so does the UK), idiots |(so does the UK) etc etc - there are good points and faults in both countries its where you and your family feel happiest and for me (and you by the sounds) its the UK 100%

All the Aussies and UK folk I know in Oz have been amazed we are going back - excuse me everyone errr its not that bad in the UK! I am having to explain myself over and over, I feel as tho I am apologising for leaving, finding it quite amusing tho...

Still it takes a move like this to realise what you had all along I reckon!

Mozziebite- how long have you been here and when are you heading home?

Guest mozziebite

Hi - since July 2009. Going back June 2010! Been a good year (well almost a year) but you got to weigh it all up and our little family will be happier back in Blighty!

Guest mozziebite

Thanks so do I! Decision made after being here 6 months (January). In the middle of sorting stuff now - getting prices for container, reletting house via agent, selling my car etc etc but will definitely be back in UK by June.

How have you found your first 3 months of being here?

It's hard really- we moved here to be near family as my Husband is Australian and we had no family in the uk we thought that our 3 young kids were really missing out....

The family thing is good but we both feel the Oz is not for us my husband has been away far too long and we are really struggling- people keep saying give it 2 years but we have agreed to give it 1- although be both feel that things wont change we feel we owe it to the family to stay here for a year-9 months is a long time to feel like you don't belong. I have made lots of friends here but miss our life we had in uk. Choice/education/culture/history etc and don't feel that Oz has anywhere ear as much to offer us but telling the family will be very hard as my MIL & FIL are both in late 70's and will be heart broken.

Kids would prefer UK too but will miss their family here.....

Guest Perth Princess

Very happy for you but also quite a bit jealous:skeptical:...

Just kidding, glad you have worked out where you belong, hopefully I will too one day....

Guest mozziebite
It's hard really- we moved here to be near family as my Husband is Australian and we had no family in the uk we thought that our 3 young kids were really missing out....

The family thing is good but we both feel the Oz is not for us my husband has been away far too long and we are really struggling- people keep saying give it 2 years but we have agreed to give it 1- although be both feel that things wont change we feel we owe it to the family to stay here for a year-9 months is a long time to feel like you don't belong. I have made lots of friends here but miss our life we had in uk. Choice/education/culture/history etc and don't feel that Oz has anywhere ear as much to offer us but telling the family will be very hard as my MIL & FIL are both in late 70's and will be heart broken.

Kids would prefer UK too but will miss their family here.....

Hey - nobody says you have to come to Australia and love it - some do (and thats great for them) but there are others that don't. I would agree with most - give it time, your kids if younger may settle and that in turn might hopefully make you and your husband feel a bit better?

I did think my kids would settle better than what they have, they were never indoors in the UK, always out with pals, and it has been different here, they have missed their friends and old way of life. If they had been happier here I would have stuck it for them but once they start wobbling and being unhappy - well that was enough for me. If my kids had been younger I think they might have settled better (primary age rather than high school age).

At the end of the day do what's right for you as a family, try not to let it get you down - I always told myself before we left the UK 'well if it doesn;t work out we can always go back' and that's exactly what we are doing, nothing has to be forever - yep we will be skint but thats nothing compared to you and your families happiness.

Good luck - I am sure it will all work out okay for you x

Hey - nobody says you have to come to Australia and love it - some do (and thats great for them) but there are others that don't. I would agree with most - give it time, your kids if younger may settle and that in turn might hopefully make you and your husband feel a bit better?

I did think my kids would settle better than what they have, they were never indoors in the UK, always out with pals, and it has been different here, they have missed their friends and old way of life. If they had been happier here I would have stuck it for them but once they start wobbling and being unhappy - well that was enough for me. If my kids had been younger I think they might have settled better (primary age rather than high school age).

At the end of the day do what's right for you as a family, try not to let it get you down - I always told myself before we left the UK 'well if it doesn;t work out we can always go back' and that's exactly what we are doing, nothing has to be forever - yep we will be skint but thats nothing compared to you and your families happiness.

Good luck - I am sure it will all work out okay for you x

To certain degree I'm worried about the kids settling too much in case that makes it harder for us to leave ( I never moan or complain about Oz in front of them though) because we are here to be near family it worries us that any longer than a year and the kids might get too used to having grandparents around etc.

We find the education here to be poor even if the school is nice(huge though) and my husband who works in IT finds there is nothing his level unless he travels 2 hours each way although even if he go a job locally we still don't feel culturally we will ever fit in. I'm sure things will work out one way or the other but people seem to look at me as if I'm mad not to enjoy the sunshine (which incidentally I do) but I find it all rather shallow I'm afraid..... We have cash in the Uk and can go back and by a decent enough house thank God feel so sorry for the people who can't.

Guest mozziebite

Well its a tough one for you, I can understand your feelings about the kids getting too settled whilst you and hubby don't like it here. My kids' family, grandparents etc are all back in the UK and thats where we all want to be so its easier for us...I do feel it for people who want to go back and can't manage it financially yet also.

Sorry I don't understand what you mean about nothing on your husband's 'level' jobwise??

I haven't found the education system here to be poor though - youngest in primary it's a great school, he had loads more homework dished out than the UK - they did recognise that he had covered more in the UK and have kept him on his toes, although at first the work he was given he found really easy, give it time and the teachers will pick up what level they are at with their education and push them on so they are also challenged. However, the public High School my eldest is at is no different to the UK comprehensives (except our visa means paying $4500 for him in NSW!). Haven't been that impressed or bowled over by it with it but wouldn't say it is poor.

Well its a tough one for you, I can understand your feelings about the kids getting too settled whilst you and hubby don't like it here. My kids' family, grandparents etc are all back in the UK and thats where we all want to be so its easier for us...I do feel it for people who want to go back and can't manage it financially yet also.

Sorry I don't understand what you mean about nothing on your husband's 'level' jobwise??

I haven't found the education system here to be poor though - youngest in primary it's a great school, he had loads more homework dished out than the UK - they did recognise that he had covered more in the UK and have kept him on his toes, although at first the work he was given he found really easy, give it time and the teachers will pick up what level they are at with their education and push them on so they are also challenged. However, the public High School my eldest is at is no different to the UK comprehensives (except our visa means paying $4500 for him in NSW!). Haven't been that impressed or bowled over by it with it but wouldn't say it is poor.

When I say my husbands level I mean his I.T work there is none except in Brisbane which is 2 hours away- we could move to the city but that would take us 2 hours away from the family whcih kind of defeats the object- we lived in a beautiful village in UK but everywhere is easily accessable.

Like I ay I've made lots of friends here already and I know I'm fortunate in that-but I just don't want to stay.

Guest rayman1
When I say my husbands level I mean his I.T work there is none except in Brisbane which is 2 hours away- we could move to the city but that would take us 2 hours away from the family whcih kind of defeats the object- we lived in a beautiful village in UK but everywhere is easily accessable.

Like I ay I've made lots of friends here already and I know I'm fortunate in that-but I just don't want to stay.

Everyday is a nightmare when you are stuck in a place you do not want to be in be it Work, living, marriage etc and situational depression can set in (as I know)! Only changing the situation will improve the state of mind. Make a positive plan to improve the situation, with a clear timeline and it does become easier with a target to aim for. Hope all goes well.

Everyday is a nightmare when you are stuck in a place you do not want to be in be it Work, living, marriage etc and situational depression can set in (as I know)! Only changing the situation will improve the state of mind. Make a positive plan to improve the situation, with a clear timeline and it does become easier with a target to aim for. Hope all goes well.

We have said we will move back end Jan if we still feel the same- it's weird because I'm a really outgoing confident person- but feel such a stranger in my own life(not to quote Cheryl Crow you understand-at least I can keep my sense of humour-even if noody else gets it-lol)

To certain degree I'm worried about the kids settling too much in case that makes it harder for us to leave ( I never moan or complain about Oz in front of them though) because we are here to be near family it worries us that any longer than a year and the kids might get too used to having grandparents around etc.

We find the education here to be poor even if the school is nice(huge though) and my husband who works in IT finds there is nothing his level unless he travels 2 hours each way although even if he go a job locally we still don't feel culturally we will ever fit in. I'm sure things will work out one way or the other but people seem to look at me as if I'm mad not to enjoy the sunshine (which incidentally I do) but I find it all rather shallow I'm afraid..... We have cash in the Uk and can go back and by a decent enough house thank God feel so sorry for the people who can't.

You are right about the kids settling too much, we cam when daughter was 15 and son was 8 they are now 19 and 13, and love it here daughter is at University son now at high school and they say they deff do not want to return, my son said to me "mum just wait until I am in the police force and then you can go back home, but please don't make me go back to england because I want to stay here" also daughter still too young to be left, I know she is 19 but she still needs us at least until she finishes her degree. I would fly out of here tomorrow if I could but I have accepted the fact that I cannot, so what I am saying if you have young children it will be so much easier, dont wait like me, first 2years were ok 3rd year starting to wobble, 4th year sick of feeling just existing and still reading forums and being envious of people returning but excited for people getting that sense of belonging back,

Hi all,

how very refreshing to find a forum that does not jump down your throat for expressing your opinion, (We are members of Poms in Adelaide) we have been in Adelaide for 8 months now and have decided to return to the UK next year, for all of the reasons already stated on this forum. only thing that worries me is finding a job in the current climate, but i guess you manage with what you have.

Guest spacegirl73

So true, I long everyday to go back to Old Blighty, but my husband doesn't (hes quite happy to have the beach beer and barbie life) all he hears are the negatives about the UK and has forgot the positives and has become almost anti UK! We will return to the UK one day but I just pray it works out for us! Good on you Rayman for making the move and wish you all the best! :smile:

Guest rayman1
So true, I long everyday to go back to Old Blighty, but my husband doesn't (hes quite happy to have the beach beer and barbie life) all he hears are the negatives about the UK and has forgot the positives and has become almost anti UK! We will return to the UK one day but I just pray it works out for us! Good on you Rayman for making the move and wish you all the best! :smile:

I was anti UK before moving to Australia! Now returning back can see how silly I was. It does have its bad points but what country doesn't? So glad to have returned to the land of the living. Couldn't get use to to the dark at 6.30pm in Queensland and everyone in bed for 8! Work and bed was not a live I wanted to live 'Down under'!!!

You are right about the kids settling too much, we cam when daughter was 15 and son was 8 they are now 19 and 13, and love it here daughter is at University son now at high school and they say they deff do not want to return, my son said to me "mum just wait until I am in the police force and then you can go back home, but please don't make me go back to england because I want to stay here" also daughter still too young to be left, I know she is 19 but she still needs us at least until she finishes her degree. I would fly out of here tomorrow if I could but I have accepted the fact that I cannot, so what I am saying if you have young children it will be so much easier, dont wait like me, first 2years were ok 3rd year starting to wobble, 4th year sick of feeling just existing and still reading forums and being envious of people returning but excited for people getting that sense of belonging back,

They'll probably change their minds when all their mates are brushing off their passports and doing the Europe thing! Once they get back they will discover the buzz and probably never want to come back here (well, you can hope, anyway!). A lot of kids are ready to do it when they leave school and others when they leave uni. My son left uni and wanted to join the police force - they suggested he go and get a bit of a life experience so he went on his "gap year" nearly 8 years ago. In that time he worked at Scotland Yard as a civilian and a special in the Met for 4 years and then took a completely different tack with his career - now he is engaged to a young London girl who will never come here and enjoying lots of overseas holidays! Never say never!!!!!

Guest valleylass

Rayman

Glad things have worked out to quickly for you, if it is possible to write like you have a 'spring in your step' then that is how your posts sound. As you know we got a little earlier than you, kids are settled and we've had a couple of weeks in a rental as we had to wait for our stuff to arrive from Oz.

Life is indeed good.

Valleylass

Archived