Car Insurance for a Import

julzcary

Hi folks,

Well, I'm one of those that bit the bullet and imported my car into oz, which up until now, has been a pretty pain free experience.

However, I'm just struggling with insurance for the import at the minute, and wondered if anyone could point me in the direction of companies that would insure an imported car.

Cheers

Julie

I've insured a car with Shannons before - and although I'm an enthusiast, I can't see why they wouldn't insure you!?

Anyway... Julz, you'll have to do a post, showing the costs involved in shipping the car, and registering it etc in Qld. If you have time...

Just got a quote from 'Just Car INsurance' too. Its a sister company of Shannons. The price was $911 fully comp for a mercedes CLK, which wasnt too bad. A little less than I was paying in the UK.

I fully intend to do a post for importing it, when I finally get the car and final costs! I'm hoping that will be next week.

As a little aside - if you are intending to import your car - dont bother getting it cleaned, as I had mine done before it left, and I mean it was absolutely spotless. I was going round the car with the valet company noting every little speck of dirt dust etc, so I know my car was mint when it went in the container. I even left the invoice for the valeting/steam clean on the passenger seat. Alas....it has been instructed to be cleaned!!

Just got a quote from 'Just Car INsurance' too. Its a sister company of Shannons. The price was $911 fully comp for a mercedes CLK, which wasnt too bad. A little less than I was paying in the UK.

I fully intend to do a post for importing it, when I finally get the car and final costs! I'm hoping that will be next week.

As a little aside - if you are intending to import your car - dont bother getting it cleaned, as I had mine done before it left, and I mean it was absolutely spotless. I was going round the car with the valet company noting every little speck of dirt dust etc, so I know my car was mint when it went in the container. I even left the invoice for the valeting/steam clean on the passenger seat. Alas....it has been instructed to be cleaned!!

Same thing happened to us, but... it can be sent straight back if it is dirty, so I wouldn't risk not having it cleaned - we even went as far as putting new tyres on ours...

Guest brummie39

This is of the subject of insurance.. sorry.

But my hubby wants to ship his van back home. I know its not a great fantastic car, but my hubby loves it. And considering the cost of second hand cars out in oz, it may be worth our while.

Our problem is, he hasnt owned for 12 months.

How strict are they on this rule? We do not want to sell it on, hubby wouldnt want to, was just wondering how this rule may apply.

One shipping company said they would ship it, but cant promise if it woul be destroyed or sent back at our cost.

Any help or advice we would appreciate. Thanks in advance.

This is of the subject of insurance.. sorry.

But my hubby wants to ship his van back home. I know its not a great fantastic car, but my hubby loves it. And considering the cost of second hand cars out in oz, it may be worth our while.

Our problem is, he hasnt owned for 12 months.

How strict are they on this rule? We do not want to sell it on, hubby wouldnt want to, was just wondering how this rule may apply.

One shipping company said they would ship it, but cant promise if it woul be destroyed or sent back at our cost.

Any help or advice we would appreciate. Thanks in advance.

My understanding was that this was one rule that they are very strict on, having said that we came out in 2004 so things may have changed since then... We did have to have our receipt of purchase for the car and vehicle registration details which show the date you registered it in your name - from memory.

Sorry this is probably not what you wanted to hear!

It also isnt as straightforward now to import your car, so I believe. When I made the application to Canberra, new rules came in which required you to score so many points from a list to enable you to import your car (bit like applying for a visa!). Basically, if I hadnt had a contract to start work (which gave you the most amount of points from memory), then I probably wouldnt have had enough points to meet their requirements. I did put something on a post a while back about it, and included the email with the points on if thats any help.

Julie

Guest hillfamily

Hi,

We imported a car from NZ to Oz and it has been an unbelievable journey! You have to have owned the car for at least a year, and there is no movement on this at all.

We have the car now, but it is still unregistered!

We had to have it cleaned, which was fine as we expected this, the next hurdle was that we waited four weeks for DOTR to put the VIN no on the system. Until it is on the system you can do nothing.

Just when I think we are almost there we hit another snag!

The car has a roadworthiness certificate, and now needs a compliance cert. We took it to the approved places and discovered that it may have been for the Oz market originally as it has a compliance plate on it, but no dates! So, after our second trip to Vic Roads and after them phoning several people in Canberra as they couldn't make a decision, they are now saying we need a letter from Honda in Japan to say the plate is legit before they will issue the relevant documents because it has no date on it!!!

Then, I hope that we can get our documents and use the car. I wouldn't mind but it is only a Honda Jazz.

Good luck !

Guest looby1pink

Hi. we too are looking for car insurance for our imported Audi a4 sline turbo diesel estate. If anyone can help we need fully comp which seems to be the difficult part. cheers

Archived