Accountants etc. will need 7 each for assessments from 1 July 2010

Jag Khairra

On 1 July, CPA Australia’s assessment criteria for General Skills Migration will be as follows:

A formal qualification assessed as being at least comparable to an Australian Bachelor degree.

IELTS Academic Test Report Form (TRF) Number to show you have a band score of at least seven (7) on each of the four (4) components – speaking, reading, listening and writing.

Please note that a successful assessment is valid for two years from the assessment outcome date.

See: http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/cps/r...migration.html

========

The Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia also has announced changes to the requirements that must be met by applicants for migration skills assessments who apply after 1 July 2010.

See: Changes to Assessing Criteria from 1 July 2010

========

National Institute of Accountants is also expected to introduce and announce such a change soon.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whats harder?

The qualification provided by the institute you are a member of is classed as equivalent to the academic qualification required.

As for English language skills what is the point of knowing the information if you are unable to convey it and be understood?

My only gripe is the position it has left international students in. I personally would like to see them given the opportunity to go on and qualifiy as Accountants via CPA etc while gaining the required language skills. A period of five years post graduation would not be too long. PR would be awarded upon completion. This would ensure that those genuine students are not punished because of those who saw the profession as an easy route to PR. It would be simple to include a proviso that those starting their course prior to July 01st 2011 could be included under this scheme while anyone afterwards must have their qualification and language skills at the time of application for PR from their home country.

Fairest way in my humble opinion.

Si

Guest luyaoqin

There is 1 of my friend who is going to graduate in July. He finally got 4 sevens in Ielts (but it is General Training not Academic) after 7 times. But he said it seemed to him it is the end of the world. All his efforts has been wasted and money as well. After 7 times and now he even can not apply for a skill assessment!!!

Guest monster

The ielts part is the harder thing specially now with the Academic one. It would probably be better if they focus also on work experiences (3 or 5yrs) and any accounting-related certification/licences of the applicant.

Guest monster
There is 1 of my friend who is going to graduate in July. He finally got 4 sevens in Ielts (but it is General Training not Academic) after 7 times. But he said it seemed to him it is the end of the world. All his efforts has been wasted and money as well. After 7 times and now he even can not apply for a skill assessment!!!

I would understand if they will impose work related experiences for assessment as it may be necessary but with ielts, I dont think it would have any relation at all.

If they want to limit accountants who come here in Oz then say it straight away so the people will know initially plus the fact that not only Accountants, also external auditor, finance manager, and treasurer...those are all accounting-related jobs...

I read in an official document that there are a vast number of applications for visas from accountants, and yet very few continue to work in the profession once they arrive in Oz. So it's historically been seen as an easy way to land a visa.

Hence there's a move to tighten up the regulations to flush out those applying to get PR by whilst not planning on working as an accountant, and I suspect that a lot of these are students who don't have a chartered status. And those who are recognised by the profession will get a relatively easy ride.

Guest rocking adi

Just to the above annocement, if someone has got the skilled assessed but is graduating in July. Does that mean we need to get the skilled assessed again? As the changes say assessment from 1st July, so is it safe to assume that positive assessment prior to 1st July would classified as valid.

Cheers

Adi

I don't think that it'll make a lot of difference in practice if you're assessed now or after July.

There were a several posts a few months ago from an accountant who failed to achieve IELTS 7 x 4, and was complaining that he'd been waiting for some time, and expected a few years longer in the queue. In contrast one of his friends had achieved the necessary IELTS pass mark, and had been enjoying life in Oz.

My suspicion is that Accountant with Chartered Status will continue to be treated as a priority case, and that the current version will lose this when the CSL is discontinued at the end of June. So unless you can get a visa awarded in the next two months, you're going to have to jump through more hoops.

Guest rocking adi

My suspicion is that Accountant with Chartered Status will continue to be treated as a priority case, and that the current version will lose this when the CSL is discontinued at the end of June. So unless you can get a visa awarded in the next two months, you're going to have to jump through more hoops.

Well I am not sure how the Chartered status would come into affect? when the assessment criteria clearly states that to be classified as accountant you need an IELTS score along with a degree that shows 4 compulsary subjects and 5 optional. If it need to include the Chatered status then the assessment would have been altered that way.

Anyways too early to jump the guns, better to wait till 30th April.

Cheers

Adi

Guest Jane1991

Why have accountants educated in some random colleges when you can have Aussie students from Aussie universities. Its easy to rort and fake work experience. And besides international students support the business schools of uni's.

If these young would-be taxpayers leave Australia for work experience in different destinations would they come back ? Would they study in Business schools ?

Besides the reason accountants don't work in their field is because they cant speak English. Makes perfect sense to filter out those who can't speak English. Why kick out domestically trained accountants so they can be retained by other countries. In fact it makes sense to retain as much of these English speaking young tax payers and train them in Australia.

Guest punita

No woder, they would end up asking for more Accountant even with 6 band in IELTS in near future.

The logic is, immigration is worried cos after having accounting degree, they dont work in accounting field. There are lods of file in pipelines and many granted in previous years. Still, shortage of accountant.

IELTS 7 would never encourage some students to study accounting. for those who really want to work, good.

Why immigration is still tempting international students to gain PR after having IELTS 7 bands. Straightaway say them, we dont want you! But they would not dare as they need their money. Keeping lets in two boats.

I have a huge SYMPATHY to accounting students who have to go through this all. Sorry guys. Chin up and find another way.

Cheers

Guest YJ WOO

I'm a little bit confused whether this change affects on my case which is already assessed and lodged on July 2008. I got assessment successfully from CPAA and lodged my PR with IELTS General module 6.5 on the July 2008. To my understanding, this change wouldn't be applied retroactively but lots of rumors around me make me in dump.

Guest punita
I'm a little bit confused whether this change affects on my case which is already assessed and lodged on July 2008. I got assessment successfully from CPAA and lodged my PR with IELTS General module 6.5 on the July 2008. To my understanding, this change wouldn't be applied retroactively but lots of rumors around me make me in dump.

nope you are safe. Once assessed its on other world now:jiggy:

Guest Angel54

Hi Woo, im in the same situation like u & im thinking to retake my IELTS. Anyway lets see what will happen tml.

Guest monster

I agree with you punita, they should say straightaway that they don't want accountants anymore here in oz.

Whats the connection of IELTS with accountants? my interpretation is that they are trying to minimize those non-native speakers to apply as accountants. As what I have posted earlier, if they want to be strict and be sure that those applying as accountants would really work as accountants after getting PR, then impose 5years work experience and CPA or chartered status as part of the qualification assessment. Before you can get your cpa or chartered status, you need to undergo review, exams, industry experience so I should say that those people who devoted time, effort, money to get that status will not just say goodbye to their profession with a blink of an eye.

There's a lot of accounting-related certification available and recognised globally so if the applicant has two, three, four or more accounting-related certification at the end of his/her name, rest assured that the person is a legitimate one.

I should say to those "dodgy accountants", please try exploring other professions to get your PR. You're making it harder for "accountants-by-heart". :arghh:

No woder, they would end up asking for more Accountant even with 6 band in IELTS in near future.

The logic is, immigration is worried cos after having accounting degree, they dont work in accounting field. There are lods of file in pipelines and many granted in previous years. Still, shortage of accountant.

IELTS 7 would never encourage some students to study accounting. for those who really want to work, good.

Why immigration is still tempting international students to gain PR after having IELTS 7 bands. Straightaway say them, we dont want you! But they would not dare as they need their money. Keeping lets in two boats.

I have a huge SYMPATHY to accounting students who have to go through this all. Sorry guys. Chin up and find another way.

Cheers

Guest monster

Work experience and CPA or chartered status would be the best bet. If they want, they can impose a qualifying exam (accounting, auditing, management accounting, accounting systems, tax, business law, business finance, economics, etc) to those who want to apply as accountant and if they pass, then that's the only time they can apply for PR:biggrin:

Why have accountants educated in some random colleges when you can have Aussie students from Aussie universities. Its easy to rort and fake work experience. And besides international students support the business schools of uni's.

If these young would-be taxpayers leave Australia for work experience in different destinations would they come back ? Would they study in Business schools ?

Besides the reason accountants don't work in their field is because they cant speak English. Makes perfect sense to filter out those who can't speak English. Why kick out domestically trained accountants so they can be retained by other countries. In fact it makes sense to retain as much of these English speaking young tax payers and train them in Australia.

Guest cbetuel

I have my positive skill assessment with ICAA and now I see some changes to their assessing criteria: Changes to Assessing Criteria from 1 July 2010

On this new assessing criteria they have 4 mandatory subjects we need to meet as accountants and at least 7 on Academic Ielts.

My question is, now, since my positive assessment was already issued in April 2009 without 2 of the mandatory subjects, is DIAC going to consider my occupation not to be on the new SOL list especially that I have the General IELTS and not the Academic one?

I am asking this because the CPA status we've seen earlier on the draft means actually at least 4 mandatory accounting subjects that someone needs to have in order pass the assessing.

Please visit the upper link and share your thoughts.

hi there,

can anyone tell what will happen to international students studying professional accountancy, the draft list stated "CPA or equivalent" , does that still hold good or it has changed. BTW what is meant by "CPA or equivalent".

Thanks

Guest Jane1991

The 'CPA or equivalent' was mentioned in the Skills Australia draft list.

In light of the recent changes in skills assessment , it has become highly unlikely that any work experience requirement will be imposed on applicants of 885/886 stream. If they wished to admit only accountants with CPA status they would have amended the skills assessment accordingly.

Besides onshore grads can go in as Financial brokers(after one year offshore experience) and External Auditors :-)

Time to kick back and relax :cute:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hiya

What is the underlying problem, please?

I am not challenging you - I am asking you?

According to the Aussies, an International Student goes to Oz. Because he lives in Oz, he ought to be able to learn English whilst he is a Student in Oz as well.

So is that bit not happening for some reason? If so, what reason, please?

If that is not the reason, what is wrong with the IELTS, please? (Personally I am British and I happen to believe that the IELTS is rubbish, but I don't know whether a non native English speaker would agree with me about this one?)

Cheers

Gill

Guest luyaoqin

Dont get me wrong, it is not my problem. I got overall 8.5 in ielts long time ago...

My friends' experience needs my sympathy... 7 times general, eventually passed, then it turns out to be academic... Most of the international students have reasonable english according to my understanding, but we still need some efforts to get 4 sevens in every module. I know u r british, so it is nearly impossible to taste that feeling...want to know the feelings? Learn some chinese, then take a test, u will know...

Archived