child benefits on visa 176

Guest renette

Guest renette

Hi,

we are moving to Perth in June on a 176. we are a family of 5 (3 kids aged 6,4,2) and have been doing some "homework" regarding child benefits, medicals exct.

according to the documentation we have received, you qualify for child benefits after 2 years of residence. is there any way of receiving these benefits sooner?

thanks

Renette

Hi,

we are moving to Perth in June on a 176. we are a family of 5 (3 kids aged 6,4,2) and have been doing some "homework" regarding child benefits, medicals exct.

according to the documentation we have received, you qualify for child benefits after 2 years of residence. is there any way of receiving these benefits sooner?

thanks

Renette

You would be entitled to child benefits from arrival however they are dependent on income I understand, earn too much and get not much or non at all.

I remember seeing a link on here to a site that allowed you to work out how much you might get, do a search and you might find it.

Residency Requirements - General

Family assistance payments

http://www.familyassist.gov.au/Payments/fa_payment_rates/Pages/default.aspx

Guest renette

Thanks for the info. very helpful!!

We are going without jobs, and will only look for jobs on arrival.

according to the infomation on the links you sent, we will be able to get child tax benefits and rent allowance from the start. the unemployment benefits will only be availabe in 2 years time. Will have to wait and see if these payments will only be paid once we have jobs, or if we get them right away.

I didnt think you could claim any benifits on 176 for two years..

am I wrong???

Some benefits can only be claimed after 2 years, unemployment benefits maybe others. Family benefits can be claimed by people holding the correct visa once they meet the residence requirement.

Guest The Pom Queen

Yes on a PR Visa you will be able to claim family tax benefit this is the only one where you don't have to wait for 2 years. You can also claim rental assistance dependant on your income.

Kate

Register with centrelink as soon as you arrive. You will get child benefit and rent assist (its means tested) - you dont have to wait the 2 years! (on a 176) have to have a perm visa).

I know of one lady and she got 600 every 2 weeks between child benefit and rent assist, so well worth checking out, especially in the early days when you dont have a job.

Good luck and best wishes.

kind regards,

caz

Guest guest17301

If you both work full time it's likely to be a tiny amount but even so you can get help with childcare fees and tax breaks for school equipment etc.

Guest rachbarlow
Register with centrelink as soon as you arrive. You will get child benefit and rent assist (its means tested) - you dont have to wait the 2 years! (on a 176) have to have a perm visa).

Interesting...... When you say it is means tested obviously when you arrive you have booked temp accomadation till you get sorted, you register with centrelink and can get like our child benefit here right (everyone gets that here)?? In the first few weeks till we get sorted and get jobs we could get help with the rent? Is that all those tax A and B on their internet site? Do they go off the money you have in the bank or your earning income at the time?

Thanks. I will look into it more and read their site more thoroughly....... just looks abit daunting at the mo!!

Guest renette

"Is there a newly arrived resident’s waiting period for family payments?

There is no waiting period for family payments which help with the cost of bringing up children. Migrants also have immediate access to health care under Medicare."

I just found the above info on Centrelink's website. guess it means you can claim family payments (child care benifits) as soon as you arrive. In our case we are arriving with a view thousand dollars, a container and no jobs yet. I suppose they will adjust the income bracket once we have jobs.

• 2 years later...
Guest Dan from Darwin

Hello all, we just arrived in Darwin, NT, with a 176 visa. We went to Centerlink (we have 2 kids and no jobs) and they told us we are not intitled to receive any help of any kind. Only after 2 years of living in Australia. Looks like the things changed compared to 2 years ago.

Have fun,

Dan

Archived