Flying dog from Perth to UK DIY style

Guest HappyTravels

Guest HappyTravels

Money is very tight at the moment and I am in the process of organising flights and the final vet work so my dog can fly back to the UK.

I have been getting quotes for the cost of flights - most companies seem to include the cost of the final vet work and the option of a night's board at their kennels - but they are hugly expensive - around $3,000.

However I have been quoted only $1,900 for just the flight (and travel crate). This would leave me to organise the final tick and flea treatment and get him to the airport.

Has anyone else organised this for themselves? Money is tight and so if I can save what for me is a lot of money then it will be worth it.

Guest The Pom Queen

Personally, I think by the time you have done all the required paperwork etc, you won't be saving so much and I would prefer knowing that my furry friend is going to be ok and arrive safely, if I was to do it myself I would probably end up sending him to China, lol.

Seriously, we use to send animals all over the world from the UK and you don't save that much by doing it yourself, it is better to pay the extra so that you can be reassured everything is fine. It is stressful enough moving ourselves.

Hugs

Kate:hug:

Guest HappyTravels

I will book the flight though a company - so I know he wont end up in China or anywhere else appart from London.

I am just wondering if anyone has completed the paperwork side of things themselves rather than using a third party.

I have been taking to Aqis who have sent me the paperwork I need to fill out - that bit sounds straightforward. I then need to book into a vet who will give my dog a health check and flea and tick treatment and then visit aqis who will rubber stamp the documents.

It doesnt sound too complicated, just wondering if anyone else has done so before.

Guest The Pom Queen
I will book the flight though a company - so I know he wont end up in China or anywhere else appart from London.

I am just wondering if anyone has completed the paperwork side of things themselves rather than using a third party.

I have been taking to Aqis who have sent me the paperwork I need to fill out - that bit sounds straightforward. I then need to book into a vet who will give my dog a health check and flea and tick treatment and then visit aqis who will rubber stamp the documents.

It doesnt sound too complicated, just wondering if anyone else has done so before.

Have done it lots of times for clients in the UK so if you get stuck just send me a pm:wubclub:

Guest jamieglaister

Hi Sibin and Happy Travels, We undertook the reverse journey with our dog last year (London to Melbourne). It is just as complicated whichever direction you go in. My wife is a vet and that saved us a fair amount of money, but not necessarily the stress of it all. She practices in Melbourne (a Melburnian herself) and has many friends that also run practices. These pet shipping companies make their money out of providing a one-stop-shop and purposely make things seem complicated in order to prevent you from straying. However when you break it all down you may just find that indeed doing some of the elements yourself saves you a great deal of money. Many of these companies offer home visits etc - all of which are included in the price of corse, but you are possibly paying through the nose for such luxuries. In theory any vet can perform the actions required. I would recommend phoning the vet practices in your area (starting with your regular vet first of course) and explaining what you want to acheive. Bear in mind also that up to 50% of Aussie vets that are under 40 will likely have worked the UK and are therefore potentially familiar with what both AQIS and the UK authorities are looking for. They should be able to tell you if AQIS will recognise their endorsement of having provided the relevant treatments etc and even blood tests etc that may be required. A friendly vet, and if you are lucky, one who has had experience in pet exports previsouly, will also probably help you with your own paperwork. It's worth ringing around the clinics in the area - even if you decide to stick to using the one company for everything after all, at least you know that you have tried! One thing is for certain though, definitely use a pet export company for booking the flights and arranging the crate as a minimum, they not only have the export experience and purchasing power, they also have the ability to change flight details etc without cost should there be any unexpected delays in final paperwork form AQIS etc which prevents the dog from flying on the day.

HI , Yes thanks . I have done all the ground work , blood tests etc ... It's pretty easy really ...i have tried to get a direct quote for shipping and crate only but in Perth they are not forth coming and direct you to the shipping companies . I have been quoted around $2,700 for a Maltese x ****zu .

Hi Sibin and Happy Travels, We undertook the reverse journey with our dog last year (London to Melbourne). It is just as complicated whichever direction you go in. My wife is a vet and that saved us a fair amount of money, but not necessarily the stress of it all. She practices in Melbourne (a Melburnian herself) and has many friends that also run practices. These pet shipping companies make their money out of providing a one-stop-shop and purposely make things seem complicated in order to prevent you from straying. However when you break it all down you may just find that indeed doing some of the elements yourself saves you a great deal of money. Many of these companies offer home visits etc - all of which are included in the price of corse, but you are possibly paying through the nose for such luxuries. In theory any vet can perform the actions required. I would recommend phoning the vet practices in your area (starting with your regular vet first of course) and explaining what you want to acheive. Bear in mind also that up to 50% of Aussie vets that are under 40 will likely have worked the UK and are therefore potentially familiar with what both AQIS and the UK authorities are looking for. They should be able to tell you if AQIS will recognise their endorsement of having provided the relevant treatments etc and even blood tests etc that may be required. A friendly vet, and if you are lucky, one who has had experience in pet exports previsouly, will also probably help you with your own paperwork. It's worth ringing around the clinics in the area - even if you decide to stick to using the one company for everything after all, at least you know that you have tried! One thing is for certain though, definitely use a pet export company for booking the flights and arranging the crate as a minimum, they not only have the export experience and purchasing power, they also have the ability to change flight details etc without cost should there be any unexpected delays in final paperwork form AQIS etc which prevents the dog from flying on the day.

Guest HappyTravels

I have been quoted only $1,900 with paws and claws breaks in Perth - they are a holiday kennels but can also book flights. Ths includes the crate and is for a Cavalier ing CHarles so similar size to yours.

My vet in Perth has been really helpful with regards to the procedures. Ill let you know how I get on

Guest HappyTravels

The airline company will sort everything out between Perth and Heathrow - including transporting him to the animal reception centre.

I have been quoted only $1,900 with paws and claws breaks in Perth - they are a holiday kennels but can also book flights. Ths includes the crate and is for a Cavalier ing CHarles so similar size to yours.

My vet in Perth has been really helpful with regards to the procedures. Ill let you know how I get on

Thanks for that ... I'll pm you :)

Archived