English Springer Spaniels in Perth

HayleyC

Hello,

I'm hoping to emigrate to Perth in a year or so and going to bring our springer Bella, she's such a lovely dog we would like to breed her when we get to Australia. I was wondering if there is many Spaniels in Perth that she could breed with and also if there would be a demand for Springer puppies?

Thanks in advance for any reply's.

Hayley, James and Bella xx

i have a cocker spaniel had them all my life all the family have cockers going back to my great grandfather lol spaniels are popular the only down side is their grooming as their coat makes them very hot in the summer , and the grass seeds @#$%^&they can go up through the paw and end up any where ive spent a fortune at the vets having them removed had one go up through the paw and ended up attatched to a rib !!!

Guest Podret

I am sorry and I don't wish to be rude but I think there should be more motivation for breeding than just because your dog is lovely. I feel that the only time you should consider this is if you are trying to improve the breed. If you feel compelled to go ahead with this idea, are you prepared to health test for PRA, HD etc? Even more importantly, are you prepared to lose your beautiful girl? Things can go horribly wrong, even for the most experienced breeder. If the puppies don't sell can you manage to keep them all? If they do sell but have to be given back, can you take them?

I have cocker spaniels. The breeder I get them from health tests for PRA and FN. She has a wealth of experience and yet her beautiful pregnant bitch lost all eleven puppies and also nearly her own life due to uterine torsion. Not only did the breeder have her heart broken because of this but she was left with a horrendous bill too.

I would be researching into how many rescues there are over there and how many springers are in them before you consider breeding.

Like I say Hayley, I do not wish to be rude but I run a forum that fundraises for unwanted animals and animals that have been bred for all the wrong reasons and all I ask is that you really, really consider everything before you enter into this.

Hello,

I'm hoping to emigrate to Perth in a year or so and going to bring our springer Bella, she's such a lovely dog we would like to breed her when we get to Australia. I was wondering if there is many Spaniels in Perth that she could breed with and also if there would be a demand for Springer puppies?

You should get plenty of info through this site.English Springer Spaniel Breeders, Australia

I was amazed how many designer breeds ( mainly poodle x) there were here, they sell pups in pet shops too.

I have 2 rescues - plenty of choice!

Thanks for the advice, however we wouldn't take breeding lightly, our breeder in Scotland is KC accredited and very vigilant, she put much work into it and did lots of health checks such as eye and hip checks. We are still in touch with her so I'm sure we would be very helpful with advice. I can assure you we will be taking it very seriously.

I just wanted to get an idea of what it's like for Springers over there as we really like the breed want to continue having them as pets.

I can understand we're your coming from as I'm sure it's very upsetting dealing with unwanted animals.

no i dont go to dog shows , i have one cocker juliette my other one died he was romeo [ i know the kids named them !!!!]had them both desexed , no hanky panky going on in my house thank you very much!!lol , the grass seeds are a very bad problem my old cocker [ shoelace << dont ask hubby named him !!!] used to get them every where although i was always checking him , he was the one who had a grass seed in the rib it cost me 570 dollars to get that removed and that must have been close to twenty years ago,

the weather can be hard on them with the heat i have juliette cropped back she ends up looking like an over weight whipett , lol but at least shes comfortable , shes my baby [ although shes ten ,

I was talking to a cat breeder who has lived over here for several years and he told me that Siamese kittens go for a fraction of the cost that he would get for them in the UK. They are around £400 in the UK and i think he said he would be lucky to get $400 for one. They sell Ragdoll kittens and pedigree puppies in pet shops over here quite cheaply so i wouldnt bank on breeding to make money because i dont think it is going to happen :daydreaming:

Check your girls KC paprerwork, your breeder may have put an export restriction on it.

Contrary to how that sounds it doesn't mean you can't export your dog but it does mean you can't register her with the Aussi KC (which I'm sure you'd want to do if you're going to health test and register the pups as a responsible breeder would)

If your girl has any breeding or export restrictions on her KC papers then her breeder will need to lift those.

I was talking to a cat breeder who has lived over here for several years and he told me that Siamese kittens go for a fraction of the cost that he would get for them in the UK. They are around £400 in the UK and i think he said he would be lucky to get $400 for one. They sell Ragdoll kittens and pedigree puppies in pet shops over here quite cheaply so i wouldnt bank on breeding to make money because i dont think it is going to happen :daydreaming:

I would never breed to make money, it's just she's such a good dog we would love a puppy from her, once we get over there we'll suss everything out.

Guest suzy n Haydn
I would never breed to make money, it's just she's such a good dog we would love a puppy from her, once we get over there we'll suss everything out.

We've been looking for an English Springer Spaniel for a while now (maybe looking in the wrong places!!)

So you'd have at least one buyer if you decide to go ahead :biggrin:

Hello,

You mean you want to make some money , well take into account the breeders licence and ,first find somewhere to live a where you can keep the dog and b breed but councils are picky on breeding

• 2 weeks later...

We have just bought 2 Springer spaniel pups, we paid a small fortune for them and they seem to be a popular breed, they are called English Springer Spaniels over here. We have a liver and white and a tri colour, liver, white and tan bits.

They are 16 wks old, adorable and very hard work at the moment, but they have learned to go potty outside, come, sit, stay, leave it!

Good luck with your move

We brought our English Springer & Cocker over with us - we too thought we'd like to breed our Springer when we got over here. We did it once in the UK with someone we knew in the small village we lived in - all KC registered/checked etc & the dogs knew each other first - lol! But we've never seen another Springer over here - we're in the Illawarra. Have seen Cockers & King Charles' but no Springers. Ours is the working strain of the breed - we lived in the heart of the beautiful british countryside & he used to love flushing & finding & fetching birds on shoots. In the end we got him desexed over here & dropped the idea - at least his line got carried on though - he's got a great lineage & fantastic temperament so that was part of our reasoning for breeding him.

So there'd probably be people interested in Springer pups if you go down that route....

Archived