Pet horse to move to Perth...

Guest Bikerchick

Guest Bikerchick

Hi, would really appreciate any help anyone can give. We've just recently decided to go for a permanent move to Oz, but I can't bear to leave my horse behind! Seems crazy but I've been quoted £11,550 to get him from the UK to Sydney for quarantine but that doesn't get him to Perth! Does anyone know of any companies who do this? I also need stables to keep him at near the Joondalup area probably, and if anyone has done this before advice on whether or not they thought it was the right thing to do please? Obviously I don't want to do anything awful to him, but I've had him nearly 10 years and it'd be awful to have to sell him cos he can't come!

Thank you lots in advance! xx

Guest missvet

I have experience with flying racehorses around the world for racing events. They're literally flown back and forth all over the place!! Generally they tolerate it all very well but a few will end up with pneumonia from the trip - not v common though. If your horse is relatively young and in good health then I'd go for it.

Guest Bikerchick

Thank you! Think I'm going to! He's 11 this year but in very good health. Just never realised it'd be so expensive! Can't bear to leave him though!

Guest shark
Hi, would really appreciate any help anyone can give. We've just recently decided to go for a permanent move to Oz, but I can't bear to leave my horse behind! Seems crazy but I've been quoted £11,550 to get him from the UK to Sydney for quarantine but that doesn't get him to Perth! Does anyone know of any companies who do this? I also need stables to keep him at near the Joondalup area probably, and if anyone has done this before advice on whether or not they thought it was the right thing to do please? Obviously I don't want to do anything awful to him, but I've had him nearly 10 years and it'd be awful to have to sell him cos he can't come!

Thank you lots in advance! xx

hi , is that price the cheapest you could get ,my wife wants to bring her horse aswell ,but going by that price ,is it worth it.

Guest missvet

If you love your horse/pony, then its worth it!! You'd have so much more time to ride etc out in Oz with the better weather and I think you'd regret it if you didn't do it!

11 isn't old at all... he should be fine.

Guest shark

i seen horses in the 20s ,and still going strong 11 is young,it just seems allot off money if anything goes wrong .

Guest Bikerchick

Hi Shark, it's the only quote I've been able to get so far! I've emailed lots of different companies but the only one to answer so far has been LOC transport based in Newdigate. That price covers 21 days Pre Export Quarantine (PEQ) in UK and 21 days Post Arrival Quarantine (PAQ) in Australia (required by Aust. Quarantine law); airfreight in a single stall; airport transfers; share of an IRT Professional in-flight groom and/or vet; pre-export quarantine testing and Import/Export documentation. It doesn't cover transport to site for export and transport to arrival point (in my case Perth from Sydney - Ouch again!) and of course they may have to be in quarantine longer than 21 days at either end. My horse is a 15.1hh Irish Cob, but for me there's no choice, provided it won't harm him he has to come too. Haven't worked out how I'm funding it other than to sell my other two horses though!

Missvet, thank you you've confirmed what I'd already hoped would be the case! Just needed a cheaper way to do it!

Guest missvet

It is a lot of money shark, I agree. But the most common problems are treatable like pleuropneumonia (if not v severe).

Just think of how grateful your wife will be to have her 2 ponies with her :wink:

Guest shark

my oh, as got a few quotes ,she is at work ,when she comes back i will pm you ,some more transport company's. she tried .what ever you decide bikerchick good luck.

Guest Bikerchick

Thanks Shark, would be glad of the info if you find anything cheaper! Either that or we buy a boat and ship the three of them together!!!

Guest shark
It is a lot of money shark, I agree. But the most common problems are treatable like pleuropneumonia (if not v severe).

Just think of how grateful your wife will be to have her 2 ponies with her :wink:

I'm in shock with that price i just seen.OH did not tell me ,how much its going to cost :mad:

Hi there Biker chic,

I have just left perth carnt help u on shipping im afraid. u need to speak to Tiff if she still comes on here she shipped her horse out to hunter valley try seeking out old horse posts.

Try cavalleti.com.au its quite a good site for livery which is called agistment here .

Im not sure about joondaloop but i know ther are horsey areas on waneroo road (a main road in north perth that leads out of city) , and swan valley region has lots of horses and riding schools. Is your cob heavy? u just dont see many cobs out in perth they are all TB s and quarter horse types , so u will get some attention I would imagine! I will keep looking 4u guys xx

Guest missvet

Bikerchick and Shark

Try speaking to James at Peden Bloodstock 01252844042, not sure if they are any cheaper but worth a try!

Guest Bikerchick

Hi Guys,

I called Peden (thank you Missvet!) and they said that they use IRT for transport, so I called them and a very helpful lady there took my details and is going to email me a quote. I'll let you know how we get on! Praying it won't be as much or more than the last one!

Guest Bikerchick

Hi All,

To cut a long story short it seems that IRT were the ones who provided me with the original quote, but the chap called me and I have to say I was really impressed he knew his stuff, could answer every question I asked (quite a few of those) and also told me that they can arrange road transport fro Sydney to Perth in a few days which will cost around £1000. I was impressed with this after imagining another flight and about £5000!

I've decided I'm going to bite the bullet money wise and use them. Worth it to me for the peace of mind with knowing my boy is in good hands with people who do this stuff all the time and seem to be recommended by just about everyone else I've contacted in the country.

Good luck with getting your two sorted Shark - let me know if you do find anyone else who does it - and thank you Missvet for all your advice. You made me feel much better about my decision to take him with me!

Guest Bikerchick

Thanks for the information Claire, hadn't seen your post until today for some reason! I've seen a couple of places fairly near Joondalup on the site you mentioned so I will keep looking. Will also try hunting for some older posts!

Thanks lots and enjoy your campervanning!!! xx

Hi All,

To cut a long story short it seems that IRT were the ones who provided me with the original quote, but the chap called me and I have to say I was really impressed he knew his stuff, could answer every question I asked (quite a few of those) and also told me that they can arrange road transport fro Sydney to Perth in a few days which will cost around £1000. I was impressed with this after imagining another flight and about £5000!

I've decided I'm going to bite the bullet money wise and use them. Worth it to me for the peace of mind with knowing my boy is in good hands with people who do this stuff all the time and seem to be recommended by just about everyone else I've contacted in the country.

Good luck with getting your two sorted Shark - let me know if you do find anyone else who does it - and thank you Missvet for all your advice. You made me feel much better about my decision to take him with me!

Do you realise sydney to perth flying time is 5 hours , road trip is at least 3 days hope your poppo likeas road trips

Guest missvet

Its quite common to travel horses by road for hours and hours in Oz (and USA). If he travels ok normally then he should tolerate it ok - chomping on his hay!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Booksnhorses

We've just sold house and things seem to be moving a lot quicker Oz wise than I'd thought. I bought my ex racehorse as a project in November and have stupidly fallen in love with him - temperament to die for. Head says don't take horse; heart says 'but he's lovely'. Don't think I can persuade non horsey hubbie to go for shipping Yo Yo out unfortunately given the prices everyone has been mentioning. Guess I'll have either win the lottery or bite the bullet :sad:

Guest Booksnhorses
We've just sold house and things seem to be moving a lot quicker Oz wise than I'd thought. I bought my ex racehorse as a project in November and have stupidly fallen in love with him - temperament to die for. Head says don't take horse; heart says 'but he's lovely'. Don't think I can persuade non horsey hubbie to go for shipping Yo Yo out unfortunately given the prices everyone has been mentioning. Guess I'll have either win the lottery or bite the bullet :sad:

My quote has just come in with IRT as £11,500 plus so sadly won't be taking horse with me (just think what I could buy for that sort of money over there!). Seems like the government take a huge chunk, plus the value of the pound falling hasn't helped. Good luck to those of you that are going for it.

Archived